Jul 1, 2011
San Diego
Name
ANTHONY
Boat
25' SeaCraft CC
Low Voltage?

How many batteries do you have?
I have 2, and it’s never done that. I think it might have been a blessing since I stopped running them with water coming in the intake port. Besides the whole it looking really fishy where I wanted to go

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
How many batteries is irrelevant. That's why I edited my comment.

This is not good.

You ran 8 trips like this. I am amazed it lasted that long. The dead battery happened because the motors stopped working correctly.

Sorry.

Reactions: Canyon and One_Leg

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
How many batteries is irrelevant. That's why I edited my comment.

This is not good.

You ran 8 trips like this. I am amazed it lasted that long. The dead battery happened because the motors stopped working correctly.

Sorry.
Those motors must have been eating a lot of water from what this picture shows.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
the bracket has the wrong angle , and doesn't follow the hull angle. looks like it's pushing the bow down, which would cause a lot of stress on your transom. until you fix the bracket angle , don't fix the transom.

Reactions: One_Leg

a7ewizard

Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
Assuming you have $4k at hand, I'd spend it to get those engines running. Look on YouTube for methods to salvage outboards that have gone under. I hope your mechanic at least squirted some oil into each cylinder after he pulled plugs. Once they run, you'll get better money for them if you decide to part it out.
With the engines running, focus on the hull repair. Lots of money involved with others doing the work. Do you or your family own a yard for repairs? Hire a professional who will travel to cut his costs and overhead.
Learn to fiberglass. I'm no expert but it is more messy than difficult.
Beautiful hull. Your season is shot. Only you can decide it's fate.

Sorry for your heart brake!

Reactions: One_Leg

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
40grit will have an opinion regarding this matter and I would listen to everything he has to say about your stringers and transom issues.

Reactions: 40Grit

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
What year is that SeaCraft? I don’t recall them having that sheer line, looks more like a Hydra-Sport?

Surfingbuddhist

Oct 17, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Glen
Boat
4 Reelz
As others have said the old bracket is at the wrong angle and making your motors sit way too low (plus it's not sealed correctly and full of water causing rear to sit even lower). You can see how easy it is to suck water into the intakes from your picture of boat running. New, beefier transom, correct bracket that is sealed properly and engine work will solve your problems. Just have to decide how committed your are to the project. After it's done tho, you will have one bitchin' boat.

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
Terrible bracket. Terrible hull design. IMO
If you eyeball estimate the height of the cavitation plate, the bracket and planing height is about 8-10 inches too low. Meaning, as the photos show, the motors are drowning. The freeboard height is borderline irresponsible. If there’s a fix, given the motors haven’t died of saltwater poisoning,
Would be to build a displacement bracket. To help with the very low freeboard. Obviously, static heights need to be fixed. Woof, what a mess.
The same thing happens when an inboard, height has risers too low. It happens.

Reactions: plj46 and One_Leg

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
If you let saltwater sit in the motors without some sort of revival program your going to need to spend a lot more than $2k a motor, imho.

You will need a proper drive so look into Armstrong or StainlesscMarine and get someone that knows what their doing to help you with the design elements before they manufacture your new drive.

I would recommend Steve Keene at Keene Boat repair In OC to fix and repair your transom and install the drive bracket, then build an internal plate and not just bold it on with washers, imho.

You can see that this application has an aluminum plate that mirrored the mounting bolt pattern and was fashioned for the inside of the transom.

5DAEA2A0-3A0E-48B4-94C7-5C432A843814.jpeg
773595CB-E05D-42FC-8DEA-6F79E1757423.jpeg

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I saw this boat the other day parked in the dirt lot across from Driscolls Mission Bay.I don't know much about those outboard brackets but this particular set up looks off to me compared to others i've seen.