Cracked Fuel Tank Bracket

Scout 19

Mar 8, 2020
Capo Beach
Name
Mark Ezell
Boat
Scout 195 SF
Kind of like the jab/vaccine we don't know how good it will work over the long haul. :-)
There are no bolt heads that I can see. I will keep an eye out for any wear where the bracket contact the tank.
Have taken the boat out around 6 times since I found the crack and it has not moved. Now that the new brackets are in it's good peace of mind knowing that it probably won't move. Scout said in writing they will take care of it if it does.
I guess posting on one of the biggest if not the biggest Forum can get things moving in the right direction.

IMG_1673.PNG

IMG_1668.jpg

Reactions: SD2600
Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
Sep 21, 2019
Pomona
Name
Javier
Boat
Skippy 24 Fly
Those brackets look like aluminum to me. Are you sure they are stainless? Also I wouldn’t be concerned with electrolysis unless the dissimilar metals are constantly submerged in water.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Those brackets look like aluminum to me. Are you sure they are stainless? Also I wouldn’t be concerned with electrolysis unless the dissimilar metals are constantly submerged in water.
    look at post #19, It looks like stainless to me, especially the nuts! Why don't you google "mixing stainless steel and aluminum together", before making a statement like you said.

• Haha
    Reactions: javierlopez123
    Upvote 0

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
    n. ca
    Name
    Tom La
    Boat
    Mako 184
    Time will tell if it is truly aluminum. You will get pitting down the road. It looks like the top bracket is aluminum to me. Hard to tell with the bottom bracket. If you zoom in, you can see the side has to different looks. That is typical with aluminum on a shear. Also, the 90 degree bend has the typical microscopic cracks that aluminum gives off.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Pomona
    Name
    Javier
    Boat
    Skippy 24 Fly
    look at post #19, It looks like stainless to me, especially the nuts! Why don't you google "mixing stainless steel and aluminum together", before making a statement like you said.
    I’ve been in fabrication for 28 years. Specifically in water treatment. We deal with all kinds of corrosion issues. I’ve been involved with plenty of metallurgist. We work with all different metals and coatings. My statement wasn’t based on some google search but on experience and knowledge from actual metallurgist, also seeing it in practice. But what do I know? I’m just a dumb welder 🤷🏽‍♂️
    I agree that the nuts are stainless.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I’ve been in fabrication for 28 years. Specifically in water treatment. We deal with all kinds of corrosion issues. I’ve been involved with plenty of metallurgist. We work with all different metals and coatings. My statement wasn’t based on some google search but on experience and knowledge from actual metallurgist, also seeing it in practice. But what do I know? I’m just a dumb welder 🤷🏽‍♂️
    I agree that the nuts are stainless.
    No worries, It not a big thing to me either. But a last 2 cents are, I've been into the metal business for over 30 years and I've personally seen dissimilar bonded/welded/bolted together and that creates a Galvanic corrosion. I understand your point of being submersed in water will, It will accelerate the galvanic corrosion at a faster rate. I'm not doubting your knowledge, But those two metals together will defy the law of physics. It would be like connecting a galvanized pipe to a coper pipe without something separating the two metals . It's all good, don't get upset about it. :cheers:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    For it being a new boat,I don’t like the repair because its going to put extra stress on the other brackets,possibly breaking them also.
    I’d prefer having them pull the tank and fixing or replacing it properly.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    Their welds look good to me, It was nice of them to paint the tank. It's kind of crappy when you almost do things right, but engineering rules apply. They should not have used that bent aluminum with the tiny radious when structural extruded aluminum is the better call. I'm sure it seamed like a good idea at the time. Rework is expensive! They need to pull the tank grind off the paint and weld on some proper brackets. It would be nice if they painted it again when they were done.

Upvote 0