Bradley Dunlap

Deez nuts
Aug 7, 2017
Washington
Name
Brad
Boat
Hewescraft 180 pro-v
Anybody else get out this weekend. Tried two days in 9 and one day in 12. Got plenty of red rocks and only a handful of dungees. Not the greatest weekend of crabbing I’ve had but more than I had last weekend. Family had a blast trying so still a win.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Did really well in 8-1. Got our 5 limits/day for the first 2 days and a little better than half of that today. but your luck can change drastically 20feet in any direction

AllanPalmerson

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 1, 2013
Oakville,WA
Name
Allan
Boat
Osprey 26 LC / 20 Willie Predator/ 16 Willie DB/ ARSC Guadalupe
@Bradley Dunlap you weren't alone. I ran 8 pots in 9/12 for three days and it wasn't good. We got some but not even close to what it has been on the opener the last few years.

Reactions: Bradley Dunlap

Chuck Bronson

Nov 17, 2015
Puget Sound
Name
Allen
Boat
Robalo R207, Hyde drifter
I had gear out in 9 for 3 days. Two very slow days and one good (not great) day. Had at least two traps picked over the weekend too. Probably more. The ones I know we're picked had the hatch unhooked and open after picking. Kids still had a blast so that was good.

Chuck Bronson

Nov 17, 2015
Puget Sound
Name
Allen
Boat
I have to believe crab pot pirating is vastly overreported
Could be, but in my case when my trap doors are wide open when I come back to check them and I know for a fact they were closed when I dropped them (because I double check before dropping after learning the hard way to do so). Or when I tie off a piece of 5x tippet around the hatch after closing it and it's been broken when I pull them with nearly empty traps.....I'm going with pirating. Or even catching someone with questionable behavior cruising a crab area. It happens, and I know for a fact it does at least at times in the area I crab.

Oh and the one took me an hour and a half to find because it was moved from it's original location and the buoy was 5ft under water. Yes I know there were huge tides this weekend and lots of grass and kelp pulling on ropes. My traps are weighted enough so they don't move and have not in 3 years of crabbing the same cove with huge tides.

Last edited:

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Could be, but in my case when my trap doors are wide open when I come back to check them and I know for a fact they were closed when I dropped them (because I double check before dropping after learning the hard way to do so). Or when I tie off a piece of 5x tippet around the hatch after closing it and it's been broken when I pull them with nearly empty traps.....I'm going with pirating. Or even catching someone with questionable behavior cruising a crab area. It happens, and I know for a fact it does at least at times in the area I crab.

Oh and the one took me an hour and a half to find because it was moved from it's original location and the buoy was 5ft under water. Yes I know there were huge tides this weekend and lots of grass and kelp pulling on ropes. My traps are weighted enough so they don't move and have not in 3 years of crabbing the same cove with huge tides.
I had a buddy tell me he caught a crab pot in his outboard last weekend and it took him a couple hundred yards before figuring it out. Unfortunately not a uncommon occurrence. I watched a commercial crabber do the same to one of my pots last year, he untangled it out deep but fortunately I use large buoys so got it back.

Chuck Bronson

Nov 17, 2015
Puget Sound
Name
Allen
Boat
I had a buddy tell me he caught a crab pot in his outboard last weekend and it took him a couple hundred yards before figuring it out. Unfortunately not a uncommon occurrence. I watched a commercial crabber do the same to one of my pots last year, he untangled it out deep but fortunately I use large buoys so got it back.
I get that happens but it still doesn't account for the other measures I take to know whether I've been picked or not. I doubt getting dragged by a boat will magically open a door that's bungeed shut. Lots of coincidence happening at once. But hey, you guys want to say I don't know what I'm talking about and you know more about my gear and what happened to it while not being there, well knock yourselves out. Doesn't matter to me.

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
i had someone pick my pot and leave an unopened can of vitamin R in there a few years back. and they say there's no honor among thieves...

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Zip-tie all your access points closed with colored zip-ties. If they are missing, crab thief, if not you doors came open on the drop down. Now they can still by-pass those by trying to pick them through the crab doors, but that is a BIG, pain in the ass.

Also mark your pots with GPS, you should have them weighted, and not crab on a huge swing day, so that should give you a hint as well. I agree with Capt. Kinda-Decent, most "crab thefts" are from under-weighted-pots, having access doors come open on the way down, or doors not being weighted or not closing properly (seaweed forcing it open). It does happen on occasion though..not as much as you think..

Bradley Dunlap

Deez nuts
Aug 7, 2017
Washington
Name
Brad
Boat
Hewescraft 180 pro-v
If you put your pots down and the side comes open it’ll be open when you pull it up. We all know our own routines and rituals. We also know that guy feeling when something isn’t right. I didn’t loose any pot but something was wrong with 5 out of 8. Also the boat that sped off when we pulled up was a good indicator of someone not doing the right thing.