Crab pot thieves....

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Jaksonbrown, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Jaksonbrown

Jaksonbrown Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    28' Kingfisher Weekender "The Wild Rose"
    Ok Boys,

I got a question for ya. What would you do if you actually caught someone pulling your pots and stealing your crab?? We threw pots out near langley last weekend and went fishing. Came back 4 hours later to a boat just driving off of the area where a couple of my pots were sitting. No other pots around so I'm pretty darn sure it was this glass ski boat messing with my pots. Out of six pots, two were blanks while the other 4 were full of crab. I threw the boat in gear to go chase these fuckers down, but the wife starts yelling at me asking me Just what I'm gonna do if I catch them?? Beat their ass? Put a round into their hull or??

Can you even call the cops and turn them in or do they even give a shit?

What would you do?

Edit.. for the record, I would never shoot at a boat. I was being sarcastic.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    That's difficult as you would need to actually see them. Your spidie senses telling you that they did what you suspect aint going to cut it. Now if you had your phone recording and caught them, yep, contact the local LEO or WDFW.

Also, provide them with the video.

gloxx likes this.
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Pots land wrong and don't fish right for many reasons, so accusing someone with no actual proof is a stretch. Move on and be glad the didn't swipe your pots. Now catching someone in the act is another story.

4. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    No proof other than your suspicion based on circumstances...
    At best, give them a warning but even here, you need to be careful. Shit sometimes has a way of escalating quickly. Also, be aware that if they did pilfer your pots, and you confront them with no real proof other than suspicion they could have your name and home address (assuming you've followed the law put that on your buoy). If they are in fact theives and douchebags, they could possibly come to your home while you're sleeping and vandalize the boat, steal shit there, etc.

SeeMeFISHIN likes this.
  5. Jaksonbrown

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    I was asking what you would do IF you actually caught someone. I guess I should have been clearer.

I was pretty darn sure it was the boat I saw, but yes.. no real proof it was them. However, my bait was Picked clean and not a single crab in the pot, so I am sure someone pilfered my crab. The whole thing just pisses me off. It seems nowadays unless you sit and watch your pots, someone is going to pull them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. BugeaterInWa

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    imo the 2 replies you got say that we would not have chased them etc. If we could get vid, we would call the LEO and let them deal with it.

Helpful?

You aint the only one packing broski!

Elkfins and LJB like this.
  7. BugeaterInWa

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Ive had it happen several times. I have since found other places to crab far and away for anyone else and now don't have the problem.

8. WEDOCQ

WEDOCQ Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    21' Arima Sea Ranger HT "Nauti Tauni"
    It's not worth it to me and my family. But, shaming them on Bloodydecks with lots of pictures of them and their boat might start getting people to think before they steal. I would never do it on a hunch tho...
    -Shawn

apogee and Ducky Duckworth like this.
  9. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    It is just as likely that the pots were just blanks and nobody messed with them.

If I did roll up on someone pinching my crab, I would try to calmly point out that they must have mistakenly pulled the wrong buoy and ask for it back. It could be thievery or it could be a mistake. A couple stupid crab are not work even an argument, or a risk of worse. There are enough a-holes out there. I don't need to be another one.

Tweakers have a lot less to lose than most of us do.

FHisherman, gloxx, Team Sency and 2 others like this.
  10. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    On pots that have an opening door with an elastic cord or inner tube and a rot cord integrated to hold the access door shut you can put a small unique colored zip tie over the rot cord to the pot. Providing it is not a collapsible cheapie they will have to break zip tie to pilfer your crab. Off Camano I did this for years and only found my pots actually pilfered a couple of times and one of the two times they left a couple beers behind.

11. Jaksonbrown

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Ummm.... you were not with a group of people having a mini crab derby were you?? I was diving off camano one day a few years ago and another boat asked me do do them a favor as a joke to his buddy. He asked me to go down and put 2 beers in this guys pot and move the crab from his buddies pot to his as his friend always won their derby!!! His buddies boat was near by and he didn't want them to see them pulling his pot and get caught!! He paid me with the rest of the six pack! LOL

12. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    As Mr. Thorogood put it, "No no no it wasnt me"

Marlin Mike likes this.
  13. Clockwork

Clockwork I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    GW Marlin
    I think pot pilfering is grossly overreported.

so many times ive put a string of pots together and some will go blank and some will be full.

at minimum you need to catch them in the act before doing anything.

FHisherman, Siv, Hunter Dan and 2 others like this.
  14. roadracerrick

roadracerrick Member

Name:
    rick
    Boat:
    nw jet
  15. BugeaterInWa

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    If it weren't for my wife being in the boat that day I was going to chase you down!

16. NoraK

NoraK Member

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Grady White Sailfish
    A few years ago, I actually rolled up on an old guy in a smaller boat throwing my pot back over his rail. I got close and could see he had 40+ crab on his deck. Other than telling him to F off, I did nothing. Why? Because you never know what the other person will do... and as someone else above put it, things can escalate pretty quick.

I know it sucks, but bigger picture - it's just crab.

Rynoking, EJ Swanny and Bellboy17 like this.
  17. ledbed6b

ledbed6b I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    I have a couple stories

First, crabbing out of shilshole several years ago half of my pots vanished in a 4 hour time period on a mild tide soak. I couldn't figure out where they went so I assumed the worst. At the boat launch I saw a guy pull his boat and noticed he had one of my crab floats visible. hanging over the side. I went up to him and told him that was my gear, he gave it back, apologized, made up some BS excuse (said he couldn't read the name on the gear and it looked just like his) and quickly took off. It was very weird. I didn't call the cops, I didn't yell and raise hell because all told it was about $90 worth of worn out crab gear.

Second story, I was shrimping in an area that has a very tight window to land on the shrimp. It was me and one other person, he set a bit after i did and the pots ended up pretty close to mine. As the tide starts to pick up i see his buoys start flagging underwater, so I started pulling mine and tried to get a hold of the guy on the radio. As by the time I got my second pit half way up his pots are fully under. He shows up, sees his pots are gone and comes running up on me on plane and stopped at the last second. He was screaming about me pulling his gear and getting all worked up about it. I showed him the buoy was mine and so was all the gear on my deck. The guy was out of his mind angry, scared the shit out of my wife, got my blood pressure up, all for no reason.

Morale of the story, don't assume anything and don't be a jackass hothead

FHisherman, Elkfins, gloxx and 2 others like this.
  18. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    It seemed about the right time for this post...I can set my watch by it every year...however, it is a good, age old question. I agree with all the posts so far.....

First if you really want to know...use pink, or some weird colored zip-tye...I've done that and "yes" found them cut once or twice...or invest in alot of go-pro's.

Second...don't assume..pots can fish bad for a number of reasons, bait can get picked clean by alot of creatures out there you will never see (unless go-pro of course).

Third don't be a hero, as others stated....things can escalate quickly over some scavenging sea-spiders.....but I know, it's the principal of being violated. If I did roll up on someone pulling my pots (which is unlikely, if someone is jacking a pot, they will be looking out), I would try and just ask if they made a mistake...give them a chance to de-escalate, and say oooops sorry......if they say "no fuck-off, I'm stealing your crab".....reel your dick in and just take a few pics.

Fourth...I know I have a small penis, if your large, bulbous penis tells you to ram their boat, jump on, and kick their ass....have fun with that, having a crab thief sue you and take your boat...remember thief's are protected, victims are not......

19. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    For once the bloody deck peanut gallery seem to agree. I know there is some crab thievery but it is pretty rare. I have had empty bait bags and no crab which can be small crab, sand fleas, shrimp or bait fish. I think it would be nearly impossible to prove thievery even with a video unless you could see your name on the buoy on the video when it was being pulled. I like the colored zip tie suggestion for proof.

G-Spot likes this.
  20. Mukilteo69

Mukilteo69 Balls Deep

Name:
    Rick Matthews
    Boat:
    Miss Easy Glacier Bay 2670
    4th of July weekend this year, mile or so South of Langley. Pulled up after night soak at 10ish AM to white ski boat pulling my pots. They threw it over and fled towards Clinton. I followed for a few and then turned back. Had family with their kids in boat. They got to 4 of six pots. One they threw back was still open on top. Used it as opportunity to explain to kids that some people suck.

Marlin Mike, goatram and FishPimpII like this.