KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Go Fund me page showed up on FB relating the story. Tough...really tough. I think the boat was the skippers home so he's lost everything. Then by what was written he went back to the boat which might be on the beach trying to salvage a few things, papers et cetera. On the way back he got in a wreck, wiped out his truck, he's in the hospital busted up fairly hard. I think transferred from Aberdeen to Tacoma. The dog that was rescued by the cg was killed in the wreck. Sad deal.

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Go Fund me page showed up on FB relating the story. Tough...really tough. I think the boat was the skippers home so he's lost everything. Then by what was written he went back to the boat which might be on the beach trying to salvage a few things, papers et cetera. On the way back he got in a wreck, wiped out his truck, he's in the hospital busted up fairly hard. I think transferred from Aberdeen to Tacoma. The dog that was rescued by the cg was killed in the wreck. Sad deal.
    Wow! That is really sad!
    Donation made
    Kim's link makes it easy!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones

Wow! That's a bad day!

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Fawk. From bad to worse. Brutal.

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
  • Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Sucks big-time, prayers to Matt to get back on his feet ASAP!

Westport had a pretty bad freezing rain, ice storm Friday night, early Saturday morning, I wonder if icing up was a factor, anyone know?

WD

Upvote 0

Fireball

Not so New
    Jun 23, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA. USA
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    SOLD
    Sucks big-time, prayers to Matt to get back on his feet ASAP!

Westport had a pretty bad freezing rain, ice storm Friday night, early Saturday morning, I wonder if icing up was a factor, anyone know?

WD

There was about 1/4"+ of ice down here between Friday night and Saturday. There were also two other boats that lost their gear as it shifted. Rumor's have it some of the bigger boats did not go out till later. Between 5:45 and 7:15 the wind also shifted from the east to on shore temps jumped 14 degrees in about an hour and half and stirred things up.

Thoughts and prayers for Matt for a fast recovery.

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    I would guess ice played a large part in both accidents.
    I lost about half of my trees at our Westport place over the same weekend due to ice and wind.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I would guess ice played a large part in both accidents.
    I lost about half of my trees at our Westport place over the same weekend due to ice and wind.

The short article stated that they lost power and started taking on water. The ship later broke up in the rough conditions.

Glad they all made it off. Sounds like they were well trained and prepared.

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    The short article stated that they lost power and started taking on water. The ship later broke up in the rough conditions.

Glad they all made it off. Sounds like they were well trained and prepared.
    From the brothers account in the go fund me page
    “. The weather was terrible on the ocean and as the boat rocked the pots began to shift, eventually the railing broke loose and the heavy weight of the pots tipped the boat.”
    I would guess that the pits were iced up and heavier than normal
    But that is pure speculation on my part
    Based on the ice at my house

Upvote 0

Tish

Almost A Member
    Jun 27, 2019
    Shoreline WA
    Name
    Grant
    Boat
    1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
    Glad there was no loss of life. I know diddly squat about commercial fishing and did not stay in a holiday inn last night but from the articles linked and the info above it does sound like a situation where the boat was loaded/top heavy with all of the gear and the bad weather as well as the possible ice was enough to cause the accident. Also sounds like this is not the first time this vessel ran into trouble in similar circumstance, wonder if there was something up with overall design/stability of the boat? From this article: " This may not be Terry F's first time in first-day trouble. According to the website NW Limited, "On Saturday, November 28, [2009] the first day crabbers were allowed to set their pots for “pre-soak”, the Terry F nearly rolled completely over, losing most of their pots on the Columbia River bar, creating a hazard to other vessels navigating the waters and necessitating a trip in to Ilwaco, WA to regroup." "

Upvote 0