Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Bear with me guys and please don’t hammer me. I’m a newbie to SD LR fishing. I’m trying to get my
ducks in a row. I currently own a Penn 16, 30 and 50 VSX. I really don’t want to have to send them to
Cal’s for hotrodding. I want to spend that money I would have spent on some Mak Sea’s.
Help me mix and match. This is what I have planned which I know wont be quite right, so please advise.<o:p></o:p>

50VSX tied to a 3x5 for trolling, dropper loop, and chunking<o:p></o:p>
30VSX tied to a 770XXXH for dropper loop, chunking and jigging<o:p></o:p>
16VSX tied to a 2x4 for a 100# rig / small bait / finese<o:p></o:p>
Now for my Mak Sea’s that I am going to purchase<o:p></o:p>
16 Sea tied to a 2x4 to have a backup for my 16VSX and vise versa<o:p></o:p>
2 each 20 Sea’s tied to 770XXXH for flylining sardines and jigging.
OR would I be better off with 1 each 20 SEa and 1 each 30 SEa. Not a whole lot of difference in cost
between them.

Statistico

Statistition
Jan 23, 2007
San Diego
Name
Joe
Boat
None
This looks like questions for fishy and wahoo dad. The makaira reels are state of the art...no reel is perfect, but you won't be sorry if you get a 30 and a 20.

Joe

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Get a 20 and a 30 mak. If you already own the rods your fine. You can do the 2X4 with the 20. The calstar 770XXXh with your 30 or hook it up with your pen 50. Make sure your pens free spool. If not use them for chunking and trolling. Your 3X5 or your 770xxxh can match with a 30 mak. Maybe not the best match for some but it will work just fine.
Do you have a trip booked yet? I am on a few 15 day trips this year.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Bear with me guys and please don&#8217;t hammer me. I&#8217;m a newbie to SD LR fishing. I&#8217;m trying to get my
ducks in a row. I currently own a Penn 16, 30 and 50 VSX. I really don&#8217;t want to have to send them to
Cal&#8217;s for hotrodding<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>.

Just to clarify, VSX reels do not need any "hotrodding" or other mods, and are designed to fish LR style "straight out of the box".
True that Cal Sheets can add performance to any and all brands of reels [Even a Ken Matsuura Bluefin Tackle reel], but Cal himself will tell you to fish with them first before you decide if you want anything done.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thank you Dave for the reply. No, I do not have the rods yet and I dont have a 15 day trip booked. Still gearing up for a 15 day. If there are better rods to match to the reels anyone and everyone speak up. I plan on doing a 10 day in 2014 and a 15 day after that. That gives me enough time to get all the setup's that I need.
Thank you Steve for your reply also. I love my Penn's. I'm glad to know I can use them right out of the box. It's just that the Mak's are lighter in weight. For hours of fishing, I can see where they would have an advantage.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Allen......welcome to your newest addiction...... fishing for giant yellowfin tuna West Coast Long Range style.

IMO your 50vsx will be fine for large bait/chunking/trolling/yo yoing...I'd put it on the 770XXXh and fish 130# and 150# on it and as Tunanorth stated all the vsx reels can be fished out of the box no need for Cal. But as you stated weight is a issue at the rail IMO.

The Mak 20SEa and 30SEa are awesome cow reels and both can be used for 100# and 130#........depending on how big your hands are the Mak 30 gives you more capacity but is wider if you have big hands then you will love it as you will have less issues with reel wobble......if you can get you hands on a Mak 20 and 30 to see how they feel thats what I would suggest. I have my Mak 30 on a SS6463xxxH and i fish 130# on it I have 2-20's and I fish both on Super Seeker 2X4's and fish both 100# and 130# on them.....I also have a couple of the Mak 50SEa's that I fish on a SS6463XXXXH and a SS 3X5 and I fish 130# and 150# on them.

The Mak 16 IMO is a super reel for fish up to 200# and would be a perfect 80# reel on a Seeker 1x3....

I have switched to the Makaria SEa's for cows........ I started with Penn Internationals then went to the Accurate ATD's and now find myself always using my Okumas because of their super freespool out of the box, the way they handle, the silent anti reverse, the helical cut gears, the drags, overall quality and IMO their gearing is spot on for cow fishing.......

Good luck!!!

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Ask the guy in the TU-TU if yer man enough. . . .

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hello Alben,

Which fishing tools to buy is a subjective, personal preference issue. Considering what you already own, acquiring a couple of Mak 20 SEa reels (loading them with 100 lbs spectra) and putting them on 770XXXHs would work well for small bait fly lining (sardines) for >200 Lbs. sized fish. (You could also use Mak 20s for 10-day trips.) For big fish trips you typically do not need more than one 80 lbs. rig. Since you already have a 16VSX, I suggest getting another 50 sized reel before another 16. Once again, it depends on how you like to fish, not us. Hopefully you can borrow or rent some of this before you buy...enjoy the process!

- Jeff Burroughs

Bear with me guys and please don&#8217;t hammer me. I&#8217;m a newbie to SD LR fishing. I&#8217;m trying to get my
ducks in a row. I currently own a Penn 16, 30 and 50 VSX. I really don&#8217;t want to have to send them to
Cal&#8217;s for hotrodding. I want to spend that money I would have spent on some Mak Sea&#8217;s.
Help me mix and match. This is what I have planned which I know wont be quite right, so please advise.<o:p></o:p>

50VSX tied to a 3x5 for trolling, dropper loop, and chunking<o:p></o:p>
30VSX tied to a 770XXXH for dropper loop, chunking and jigging<o:p></o:p>
16VSX tied to a 2x4 for a 100# rig / small bait / finese<o:p></o:p>
Now for my Mak Sea&#8217;s that I am going to purchase<o:p></o:p>
16 Sea tied to a 2x4 to have a backup for my 16VSX and vise versa<o:p></o:p>
2 each 20 Sea&#8217;s tied to 770XXXH for flylining sardines and jigging.
OR would I be better off with 1 each 20 SEa and 1 each 30 SEa. Not a whole lot of difference in cost
between them.

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
for cow fishing, you have to make the commitment to go big or just go fishing. cow fishing is about being on the right boat at the right time and being in the water at the right time with the right gear. you want to fish your 50 size reels when chunking and with big baits. you want to fish your 30 size reels when you are sardine fishing. depending on how big you are or how big your hands are ,you can go with a mak 20. the mak 30 should be your go to reel during the daytime fishing. i personally would never go below a 30 when i am in cow territory. i do not want to squander my opportunities when they show up on the end of my line.
then barrow as much gear as you can from the landings and the boat. get a feel for what kind of gear is out there and what you like and what works for you. getting your gear dialed in can take years of experimentation,testing and landing and loosing big ones. you learn the most from the ones that hand you your ass. and then make sure you talk to the guys who consistently land the big ones. that way you can shorten the learning curve.
and i do not care what anyone tes you. all of the hot sticks send their gear,all of it, to cal. anything to get an edge and improved free spool. the more free spool you have,the more chances you get at a big one. just ask fishing. old schooled me last trip.goooooooing

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Texlee, it's great to see more Texans coming out LR fishing. I moved from San Diego to Austin and LOVE it there. I definately miss getting on a LR boat though.

That said, I've only done one 15 dayer and before that, lots of 8 days to 3 days (no fall 10 dayers, I skipped straight to the big leagues). I did great on that trip and saw lots of 250lbs-280lbers caught in addition to my piddly three cows (low 200s). Before I went, I had a accurate 30 with 100lb and figured it was enough. And it was. HOWEVER, those big tuna are not push overs, and using the biggest equipment you can fish is definately the way to maximize the odds in your favor. What Spinner is saying is dead on. Use the BIG GEAR. You dont have to buy it, renting it is just as good (I got two of my cows on rent gear, 50 size internationals). The 20 and 30 Maks I hear are bad ass, and Im sure they can definately land a cow, but I would venture to say that they are not the OPTIMUM weapon of choice. After landing two back to back bastards at 180lbs and 225lbs on 100lb test, I wanted to fish NOTHING but 130 the rest of the trip. Thats my plan on the next go around. As for when that's gonna happen, well hell, the Marine Corps keeps sticking me in the eye on that one (I've managed ONE 15 day trip out of 4 planned~canceled so far). And the one I did go on, I had to miss a friend's wedding to go. Sometimes, you gotta make choices. For my 15 day, my arsenal will be:

130lb Bait (Rental)
130lb Bait (my Accurate 30)
130lb Bait Back up #2 or PL68 Jig (Rental)
100lb Bait (Rental, 30 size)
80lb rig (16 VSX). I will only fish this if the cows arent around.
60 bait (wahoo)
50 jig (wahoo)

Of course, your 10 day will scale down, but once again, if those big boys are around, fish the heavy gear if they'll eat it. Hooking a beastly cow is a real tough tussel if you go light.

QUOTE=spinner;3223839]for cow fishing, you have to make the commitment to go big or just go fishing. cow fishing is about being on the right boat at the right time and being in the water at the right time with the right gear. you want to fish your 50 size reels when chunking and with big baits. you want to fish your 30 size reels when you are sardine fishing. depending on how big you are or how big your hands are ,you can go with a mak 20. the mak 30 should be your go to reel during the daytime fishing. i personally would never go below a 30 when i am in cow territory. i do not want to squander my opportunities when they show up on the end of my line.
then barrow as much gear as you can from the landings and the boat. get a feel for what kind of gear is out there and what you like and what works for you. getting your gear dialed in can take years of experimentation,testing and landing and loosing big ones. you learn the most from the ones that hand you your ass. and then make sure you talk to the guys who consistently land the big ones. that way you can shorten the learning curve.
and i do not care what anyone tes you. all of the hot sticks send their gear,all of it, to cal. anything to get an edge and improved free spool. the more free spool you have,the more chances you get at a big one. just ask fishing. old schooled me last trip.goooooooing[/QUOTE]

darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
Jun 24, 2012
Santa Ysabel
Name
Darren
Boat
36' Uniflite/Vagabond
The 20 and 30 Maks I hear are bad ass, and Im sure they can definately land a cow, but I would venture to say that they are not the OPTIMUM weapon of choice.
where'd you come up with that info? lol. They are both decent sized 30 reels and will get the job done. Yeah a 50 will make landing it easier. But I feel your statement is a little strong regarding the Mak 20 and 30.

Optimum weapon of choice then for landing one then maybe? ;)

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
PLEASE take a minute to reread these two posts, such good advice I cannot improve upon.
Specifics aside, USE THE BIG GEAR, the chance you get for a truly awesome fish may be the ONLY chance you get that trip, or ever! 7-800 yds 130# spectra, a 130# topshot, tilt the odds greatly in your favor, especialy when you are new at this.
Good luck, you're going to love LR.

Texlee, it's great to see more Texans coming out LR fishing. I moved from San Diego to Austin and LOVE it there. I definately miss getting on a LR boat though.

That said, I've only done one 15 dayer and before that, lots of 8 days to 3 days (no fall 10 dayers, I skipped straight to the big leagues). I did great on that trip and saw lots of 250lbs-280lbers caught in addition to my piddly three cows (low 200s). Before I went, I had a accurate 30 with 100lb and figured it was enough. And it was. HOWEVER, those big tuna are not push overs, and using the biggest equipment you can fish is definately the way to maximize the odds in your favor. What Spinner is saying is dead on. Use the BIG GEAR. You dont have to buy it, renting it is just as good (I got two of my cows on rent gear, 50 size internationals). The 20 and 30 Maks I hear are bad ass, and Im sure they can definately land a cow, but I would venture to say that they are not the OPTIMUM weapon of choice. After landing two back to back bastards at 180lbs and 225lbs on 100lb test, I wanted to fish NOTHING but 130 the rest of the trip. Thats my plan on the next go around. As for when that's gonna happen, well hell, the Marine Corps keeps sticking me in the eye on that one (I've managed ONE 15 day trip out of 4 planned~canceled so far). And the one I did go on, I had to miss a friend's wedding to go. Sometimes, you gotta make choices. For my 15 day, my arsenal will be:

130lb Bait (Rental)
130lb Bait (my Accurate 30)
130lb Bait Back up #2 or PL68 Jig (Rental)
100lb Bait (Rental, 30 size)
80lb rig (16 VSX). I will only fish this if the cows arent around.
60 bait (wahoo)
50 jig (wahoo)

Of course, your 10 day will scale down, but once again, if those big boys are around, fish the heavy gear if they'll eat it. Hooking a beastly cow is a real tough tussel if you go light.

QUOTE=spinner;3223839]for cow fishing, you have to make the commitment to go big or just go fishing. cow fishing is about being on the right boat at the right time and being in the water at the right time with the right gear. you want to fish your 50 size reels when chunking and with big baits. you want to fish your 30 size reels when you are sardine fishing. depending on how big you are or how big your hands are ,you can go with a mak 20. the mak 30 should be your go to reel during the daytime fishing. i personally would never go below a 30 when i am in cow territory. i do not want to squander my opportunities when they show up on the end of my line.
and i do not care what anyone tes you. all of the hot sticks send their gear,all of it, to cal. anything to get an edge and improved free spool. the more free spool you have,the more chances you get at a big one. just ask fishing. old schooled me last trip.goooooooing
[/QUOTE]

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thanks gentlemen. I hear what you are saying and I agree. So how would this look
50 VSX. loaded up with 130# line. 3x5
50 SEA. loaded up with 130# line. 3x5
30 VSX. loaded up with 100# line. 770XXXH or 2x4
30 SEA. loaded up with 100# line. 770XXXH or 2x4
20 SEA. loaded up with 80# line. 770XXH or 2x4
16 VSX. loaded up with 80# line. 770XXH or 2x4
And I do have big hands, but not much lead in the ass. I'm 5'11" and weight about 165.
Please keep the comments and advise coming. Very much appreciated. Tex.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
would fish the 30SEa with 100# and the 20 SEa with 130#.....as you will be fishing light drag with 100# you may need more capacity of the 30SEa....

Being light in ass is really not a issue if you fish the rail.....I have a 3x5 and it is STOUT.....I use it for my kite rod with a Mak 50w......personally for bait I use a full length SS6463xxxxh with my Mak50SEa it is 6'10" in length.....I find it a little n more forgiving than the 3x5 but with gobs of power I only weigh 145# but once you get your technique down your weight is not going to be a issue.

I found the Calstars to be a little too fast in recoil for me but lots of people like them and they are excellent rods if they compliment your style.

and I agree with Semperfishing, Spinner and Sactotuna.....use big gear when there big fish are in the area if they will bite the heavy line feed it to them and leave the 100# in the rack. I will be going to PV in November and will only be taking only 50 sized reels cause we will only be fishing big fish....

The Mak 20 and 30 are totally cow capable and IMO are easier to handle... but a 50 makes it easier once hooked up.

QUOTE=Texlee;3224212]Thanks gentlemen. I hear what you are saying and I agree. So how would this look
And I do have big hands, but not much lead in the ass. I'm 5'11" and weight about 165.
Please keep the comments and advise coming. Very much appreciated. Tex.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

would fish the 30SEa with 100# and the 20 SEa with 130#.....as you will be fishing light drag with 100# you may need more capacity of the 30SEa....

Being light in ass is really not a issue if you fish the rail.....I have a 3x5 and it is STOUT.....I use it for my kite rod with a Mak 50w......personally I use a full length SS6463xxxxh with my Mak50SEa it is 6'10" in length.....I find it a little n more forgiving than the 3x5 but with gobs of power I only weigh 145# but once you get your technique down your weight is not going to be a issue.

I found the Calstars to be a little too fast in recoil for me but lots of people like them and they are excellent rods if they compliment your style.

and I agree with Spinner and Sactotuna.....use big gear when there big fish are in the area if they will bite the heavy line feed it to them and leave the 100# in the rack.

QUOTE=Texlee;3224212]Thanks gentlemen. I hear what you are saying and I agree. So how would this look
Please keep the comments and advise coming. Very much appreciated. Tex.[/QUOTE]

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Fishybuzz I'm confused. Why would you recommend putting 130# line on the 20SEA decreasing its line capacity?

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
lol, no matter what combination you go with, remember you can always change them once you get on the boat and decide you want something different. Nothing is set in cement on gear combos.

Welcome to BD

Loudmusic

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 15, 2011
Phoenix, Az USA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Fish From Shore
Fishybuzz I'm confused. Why would you recommend putting 130# line on the 20SEA decreasing its line capacity?
The 30SEa is just a wide version of the 20SEa. Nothing else is different, therefore, if using lighter line, you will need more capacity as your drag setting will be lower potentially.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Exactly......on my Mak 20 that I fish 130# on I have 600 yards of 100# hollow topped off with 130# hollow spectra.....I do a inline insertion of my 130# mono or FC into the 130 hollow....I fish it with about 35# at strike ...on the 100# I fish about 30# at strike.

Less drag IMO needs more capacity IMO......

But I do like my 50 's on a big fish......

There are some very talented cow fishermen that like to use the 30 sized reels but their skill level enables them to most of the time use them effectively ....but even they get hosed once in awhile using the 30 sized reels.

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Thanks gentlemen. I hear what you are saying and I agree. So how would this look
Please keep the comments and advise coming. Very much appreciated. Tex.
You're set. Don't give this part any more thought.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
OVERKILL. But definately easier! Remember, the RRIII crew loves that big (80?) Accurate on the kite. The "tractor" gets em in.

I never said that the Mak 20s and 30s couldnt take down a cow, they definately could. Im just saying, to greatly improve your odds, use 130lb.

Now, if the specs of a Mak 20 and 30 can fish the drag pressure to FULLY UTILIZE the strength of 130, I'd definatly like to hear it. Anyone got the specs?

Just for example, my Accurate 30 can for sure fish 100lb on its drag, but its about maxed out at seeting "M" (28ish lbs of drag if Im not mistaken). I can go one or two more settings (I dont have the reel in front of me) and max out 100lb (30-32ish). I want to fish 130 on it, so by going to that max setting, I can fish on "L" (the next higher setting) at 32ish lbs. But I think to fish the max of 130lb, you'd do about 40ish lbs. So the big question is, can the Mak go up to that drag pressure?

Optimum weapon of choice then for landing one then maybe? ;)

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Ok, I just googled the ATD 30 and read that it goes to 45lbs max (off some tackle store website. the accurate website doesnt list it). So, without conducting a full on scientific experiment with all the reels, I'd adjust what I said earlier that my ATD at setting M puts out about 40lbs of drag. Based upon that 180 ass kicker I had, that is too little drag fishing 100lb, but it reel was near max. therefore, I'd say I want to bump it up to 130lb, and fish it with max 45lbs of drag. This may (or may not) be enough for cows. That said...whats the max drag on a mak?

Screw it...Im looking it up.....

.....nope......nope....

ahhhh......CHECK IT OUT!!!!!! 55LBS!!!!!! Looks like I might have to upgrade!!!!

http://www.basspro.com/Okuma-Makaira-Elite-Lever-Drag-Saltwater-Reel/product/10227790/

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Yep. I like the set up! Of course, tailor it to your style. Fishybuzz like fishing the seeker 3x5s, I do not as I find calstar to my by optimum rods.

That said, now that you got your reels settled, you'd better start learning the connections and decide which one you like, (Or you can just have the crew do it for you).

You're set. Don't give this part any more thought.

darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
Jun 24, 2012
Santa Ysabel
Name
Darren
Boat
36' Uniflite/Vagabond
lol. I was mainly just giving you shit. What I was saying is that the Mak 20 and 30 are more than cable enough to fish 130, and the drag pressure during the end game. HOWEVER, for the landing aspect of a big fish, a 50 is almost always better. Ask 99 percent of captains in the fleet and they will agree that they'd like to see a 50 with 130.

I haven't caught big fish on my bigger Maks yet, but god willing I will in Nov :) However, I have on my old Tiagra 30s and 50. And I have gotten tooled on both reels, but on the TI 30s worse. Always prefered a 50 in those reels. That said, the Mak SEa is a whole another deal.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thank you so much Sactotuna, Fissybuzz, SemperFishing, and everyone else. That's exactly what i wanted to hear. I was beating the hell out of myself trying to get the right rigs (on the heavy side). I'm a firm believer on the bigger the better. May be a drawback of mine, but that's me. Now I can start gearing up. Thanks again guys and of course Reel Lady too.