Cowcod Photos repsonse from DFG.

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Last Decemeber (2020) we caught a Cowcod in 180ft of water. it was a big one maybe 15lbs we wanted to photo it and i wasnt sure about the laws. I asked the DFG about the same time my son had asked the DFG and here is the Joint response we got.

Name: Logan Flaxington
County: Los Angeles
Good Afternoon, my name is Logan Flaxington; I come to you regarding the regulations of the Cow cod fishery. I was wondering if someone were to catch a cow cod that had good size to it, would they be allowed to remove it from the water for a picture, then send it back down to the bottom?
Message sent from www.wildlife.ca.gov/Explore/Director/Email:

Name: Chris
County: Los Angeles
Hello, i am an avid sport fisherman in the Southern Ca. management district and i am well aware of the MLPA and Ground fish regulations. When fishing for Rock Cod in a relatively shallow 180' deep and an Angler hooks a Cow Cod, is it legal for the Angler to take photo of the fish prior to being sent back down into the deep? or are Cow Cod to be handled like a Black sea bass, such as cant come out of the water? Thank You for your Time. Chris

Good evening Logan and Chris,

My name is Santos Cabral and I would like to help answer your question regarding taking pictures with Cow Cod Rockfish. Ca. Code of Regulations Title 14 section 28.55 (b) (1) states the limit on bronzespotted rockfish, cowcod and yelloweye rockfish is zero. These species shall not be taken or possessed as part of the RCG limit. Per the above regulation you would not be allowed to take a Cow Cod Rockfish and pose with it on your boat for pictures. If you do happen to incidentally catch a Cow Cod Rockfish it is best practice to leave the fish in the water and use needle nose pliers to safely remove the hook from the fish. A rockfish descending device can come in handy to help get the fish down to depth to increase its chance of survival due to barotrauma. If you have any other questions or need clarification on the above regulation please don’t hesitate to call me at your convenience.

Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Cayman 226
Depending on the size of your boat, you may not be able to get a cowcod ready for decent floating on the water. I get the intent of the law, but their process for on the water comment is just odd.

While on the cod grounds yesterday we landed a small 6# cowcod. It took over 2 pounds of lead to get this guy to go down. Make sure you have enough weight onboard to release a larger cod. We were on an SPJ only trip so had to tie extra jigs to our only 16oz weight to perform a proper release.

Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Depending on the size of your boat, you may not be able to get a cowcod ready for decent floating on the water. I get the intent of the law, but their process for on the water comment is just odd.

While on the cod grounds yesterday we landed a small 6# cowcod. It took over 2 pounds of lead to get this guy to go down. Make sure you have enough weight onboard to release a larger cod. We were on an SPJ only trip so had to tie extra jigs to our only 16oz weight to perform a proper release.

We had the same issue back in Dec. it took almost 4 lbs to get our fish back down...

Reactions: Let em eat 74
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think the intent is to avoid handling, dropping them on the deck and just fucking them up in general before releasing them. Still stupid, how can you safely use a descender without taking the thing out of the water?

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Just going to lead to more people not bothering to descend. Why take the risk if fish and game spots you? Great rules as usual, predict we'll be back to 300 feet depth limit soon due to "too many cows floating in the ocean."

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I talked to a Mexican guide. He said they are mealy and wormy. Take a foto however you want, just don't share it. Attach descendinn device, unhook and send it back.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Typical email response from an organization. Looks like it’s cut and pasted from a flow chart. Pretty standard for today’s environment.
Reads a little botty to me... though I doubt the DFG have the technology or intelligence to automate this sort of response.

Reactions: 805mike
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
This is what happens when people who write and enforce laws don't participate in the actual activity they are enforcing. They get stuck in mealy mouth definitions of everything while missing the complete spirit in which the law was written.

Better answer would have been:

"Congratulations on the catch! It shows that our conservation efforts are working to raise the numbers and size of these beautiful species. The laws are in place to continue these conservation efforts while maintaining access for other species. Please next time you catch an undersized, out of season or restricted species try to handle the fish as lightly, carefully and safely possible and release it back to depth as quickly as possible. A photo doesn't hurt, but make it quick."

Upvote 0

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Don't put your face in the photo.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    MAJOR: "What's your take on this Cowcod reg Gunny?"
    GUNNY HIGHWAY: "Sounds like releasing more seal food?"

GunnyHighway.jpg

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    So does anyone actually expect a Warden to give his opinion on a situation while not knowing any of the people involved or the details of the operation? We all know that when you handle fish and keep them out of the water for an extended period of time it reduces the likelihood of their survival.
    Big difference between someone on a skiff that has their phone in their pocket and someone who says "wait, let me run down to my stateroom and grab my phone really quick".
    Anyone remember the drama surrounding the pictures of the dudes holding up a Black Sea Bass several years ago??? folks were banned for being involved in that shit show...
    Lessons learned, don't post shit!

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    What do you need a picture of a Cowcod for anyway ? And how hard could it be to NOT boat the fish to use a descending device ? Complaining about the DFW is getting old.If we didn't have them we wouldn't be fishing for much.Be thankful they exist whether you agree with regulations or not.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    This is what happens when people who write and enforce laws don't participate in the actual activity they are enforcing. They get stuck in mealy mouth definitions of everything while missing the complete spirit in which the law was written.

Better answer would have been:

"Congratulations on the catch! It shows that our conservation efforts are working to raise the numbers and size of these beautiful species. The laws are in place to continue these conservation efforts while maintaining access for other species. Please next time you catch an undersized, out of season or restricted species try to handle the fish as lightly, carefully and safely possible and release it back to depth as quickly as possible. A photo doesn't hurt, but make it quick."
    Your government job just evaporated...you can't think and work for them

Upvote 0