Dexter Outdoors

ny2sd

Jan 3, 2010
NY,NY
Name
Frank
Boat
Rowboat
Hey guys do you fish your flat fall jigs right out of the package for cow yellowfin and bluefin tuna??? If not how do you modify the hooks and terminal tackle to make it work ?? I have some 350 and 300 gram Shimano and nomad jigs who can I send them to for the upgrades??? Thanks

Last edited:

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    You may want to upgrade the hooks and split rings. Lots of tackle shops will do this for you, or you could go to the shop and ask them what they recommend then buy some Owner rings and more beefy hooks. It's easy to do. If you decide to do it yourself you'll likely need new split ring pliers.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You certainly should upgrade your flatfall-type lures to more, larger hooks and strong leaders (130# is a start, I use 200# fluoro) and there are lots of prior threads about doing this yourself, with pictures, if you use the Search option.

But remember that these fish eat more things than flatfall-type lures. If I look around and everyone else is rigging those, I switch over to a very heavy Tady or Salas or my current favorite, a JRI 66. The main thing is to have a heavy leader because as alan760 said, the tuna almost always just inhales the whole lure. I put strong assist hooks at the top of my JRI and other lures in addition to the strong J-hook on the bottom. The idea is to hook him inside the mouth with multiple hooks, which will inhibit his ability to breathe, and giving you more of a chance to win the fight as long as he can't chew through your leader.

Reactions: SD2600 and mcrae
    Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Whichever1is leaving
    Simple, incredibly effective, and with less points of failure. This is a 12/0 Hayabusa magnum circle. Hooks up on the retrieve or fall all the same and the jig flutters more as well.

C7C96CDF-F250-42E4-BB03-525FF9A4AA80.jpeg

1A47887E-93CF-4D51-B797-8518FB358DE7.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Rather then bazillion posts on how to rig jigs, it be cool to see a thread on how to hook fish ith jigs.

Just the jig and a pick of it hanging out the mouth of a fish on the deck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Lots of ways to skin this cat. Not sure any is the “right” way. I fish mine on 200-300lb mono leaders. I braze a big J on the back and a heavy assist hook at the top. I gave a guy an assist hook for his and get got 3 fish, all only hooked by the top hook.

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Simple and incredibly effective with less points of failure. This is a 12/0 hayabusa magnun circle. Hooks up on the retrieve or fall all the same and the jig flutters more as well.

View attachment 1210813
    View attachment 1210814
    A BFT will chew through spectra, use kevlar cord instead, same stuff used for tying assist hooks. I have lost a lure while still catching the fish with 200lb spectra. Still worth it. Also you don't have to use ringed hooks, but I find they get the corner better. Easy way to test this is to through the lure into a large plastic trash can and pull it out quickly at a 90 degree angle. My avatar has the original version of this setup, but I use a shorter lead from the hook to the lure now, like yours, but with kevlar.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    Hobie kayak
    I use 150# fluoro, crimped, with a solid ring, and a Hyperwire split ring and a large in-line hook. This rig held on a huge bluefin last year that spooled me.
    Flatfall.png

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Down at Hurricane and Clarion. They love the flat falls. I mean the sharks. Lost two in a row and just gave up as it was getting expensive.

• Haha
    Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    Hobie kayak
    aflraser wrote:

"A BFT will chew through spectra, use kevlar cord instead, same stuff used for tying assist hooks. I have lost a lure while still catching the fish with 200lb spectra."

I haven't heard this before. I can't find any information on it online. Isn't Kevlar kind of nasty to work with because of it's stiffness?

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    aflraser wrote:

"A BFT will chew through spectra, use kevlar cord instead, same stuff used for tying assist hooks. I have lost a lure while still catching the fish with 200lb spectra."

I haven't heard this before. I can't find any information on it online. Isn't Kevlar kind of nasty to work with because of it's stiffness?
    Yes, it's true. Most of the better assist hooks are made with Kevlar. It's not stiff at all. It's braided line just like Spectra. BUT BF can and do chew thru Kevlar. It happened to me.

Reactions: pmurphy
    Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Yes, it's true. Most of the better assist hooks are made with Kevlar. It's not stiff at all. It's braided line just like Spectra. BUT BF can and do chew thru Kevlar. It happened to me.
    Absolutely they will chew thru kevlar. Seen it too. 2 assist hooks, 1 chewed thru, 1 still in the fish. But that's with full tension. With bridling, you don't have that issue. Not foolproof, but probably will get your lure back as well as the fish. Not seeing any pulled hooks or chewed leaders. I think the hook to land ratio was like 90% once people switched over to bridling on one trip. Small sample, and these were only bigger fish, but still... I'll try it out on smaller tuna next trip.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Absolutely they will chew thru kevlar. Seen it too. 2 assist hooks, 1 chewed thru, 1 still in the fish. But that's with full tension. With bridling, you don't have that issue. Not foolproof, but probably will get your lure back as well as the fish. Not seeing any pulled hooks or chewed leaders. I think the hook to land ratio was like 90% once people switched over to bridling on one trip. Small sample, and these were only bigger fish, but still... I'll try it out on smaller tuna next trip.
    I still use Kevlar on my assist hooks and your bridling system, but have been switching to Vectran . It seems to be more abrasive resistant than Kevlar.

Upvote 0