Offshore Cow town at Tanner, 9-8-2021

kdrouet

Sep 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Dude
Boat
M40 Knight and Carver
We just got back early morning from Tanner to fish the big BFT. We ended up leaving on the Arjuna at 10:30 pm on Tuesday in hopes of fishing the early morning bite. Unfortunately we didn’t connect. After soaking baits we decided to troll the spreader bars and found no love. We trolled and trolled, stopped and fish bait on really good meter marks.

The weather really laid down and wind went from 7-8 knots in the early morning to 1-2 knots, which made it very challenging to troll the CA flyer.

we saw several boats drifting and fishing the balloon rig which seem to be the ticket for some anglers to get smashed on the big BFT.

Once the wind started to pick up in the afternoon we trolled the CA flyer over some great tuna marks. Stopped the boat and started to fish. We tried live bait, flyline and sinker rigs and also switched out the CA flyer for a dead flyer for nada.

We ended finding a nice fishy spot where we were heavily marking earlier and started to set up our drift and employed
the flyer.

Around 4:45 pm, around slack tide, we get hammered. The bait gets smashed and bait is annihilated, but it didn’t stick.

We brought the kite and rig back and redeployed another flyer and WHAM game on. The fish was a beast and put up a great fight and about 30 min later, the fish is gaffed and brought over the rails.

We stayed the zone, redeployed the kite and this time, we got slammed on a flyline set up. Unfortunately it broke off and that was it.

All and all it was a decent day.

FDA47EF8-CA2C-4365-84EC-D1AC46704FC5.jpeg

619DF1A7-5497-4C89-A3C6-47BD5F6CD1AA.jpeg

E9DF2C80-9D54-4397-B437-DD3BB8175DCA.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeC92109

Weekend Warrior
Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sea Pro 228
We had a similar day on Monday, nada until 4:30/5 then we got smashed on the spreader bar a number of times. We ran the top of the ridge with the spreader way back. Was fun to watch it get hit and miss then stick.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

SeaShed

Jun 13, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ken
Boat
29' Scarab Sport
I'll take a 'decent' day like that anytime!!! Congrats and good job!!!

Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    We had a similar day on Monday, nada until 4:30/5 then we got smashed on the spreader bar a number of times. We ran the top of the ridge with the spreader way back. Was fun to watch it get hit and miss then stick.
    Nice! What colors were working?

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Excellent Job Guys ! Glad to see everyone smiling

Upvote 0

dsivak

Almost A Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    EDGEWATER 228CC
    Excellent job! Those BFT are picky SOB's. Your patience paid off big time. Way to stick it out and have a successful trip, congrats! That is a nice fish. Hats off to the captain.

Upvote 0