Cow Round Up....

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Royal Star and Excel are getting into them Cows good. Star just landed a 351. Lots of 200-230lbers, and the fish sizes are averaging 150-170lbs.

Many I wish I was out there right now.

picasso

Jul 27, 2009
los angeles
Name
joe
Boat
17 Boston Whaler
timing is everything
My buddy, The Kid, aka Nick Rekrut, left Friday on Shogun.
He's on a 15 dayer, he should be arriving tommorrow morning at either the Bank or Big C.
Tried to talk me into going along, but the call of duty prohibited it.
He promised to call if the bite was off the hook.

Seems like it was just a few years ago, he was just a regular tuna cowboy like the rest of us.
Now, he's leading his first cow round-up as chartermaster for the Seeker Rod Co.
He's got Gary from Accurate Reel Co. riding shotgun with him.
Captains Aaron and Cole, great young fish finding skippers at the helm.

Watching the next generation take over the sport...Sweet.

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Timing is everything. But sometimes you just have to go and see. :)
I soaked a Sardine all day from this keyboard one time and never got a sniff!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
...Nick Rekrut left Friday on Shogun. He's on a 15 dayer, he should be arriving tommorrow morning at either the Bank or Big C. Seems like it was just a few years ago, he was just a regular tuna cowboy like the rest of us. Now, he's leading his first cow round-up as co-chartermaster for the Seeker Rod Co...

Yep, pretty stoked for Nick, good guy.

sk8ingtuna

Mar 8, 2008
Lawndale, Ca
Name
Richard
Boat
not yet
My buddy, The Kid, aka Nick Rekrut, left Friday on Shogun.
He's on a 15 dayer, he should be arriving tommorrow morning at either the Bank or Big C.
Tried to talk me into going along, but the call of duty prohibited it.
He promised to call if the bite was off the hook.

Seems like it was just a few years ago, he was just a regular tuna cowboy like the rest of us.
Now, he's leading his first cow round-up as chartermaster for the Seeker Rod Co.
He's got Gary from Accurate Reel Co. riding shotgun with him.
Captains Aaron and Cole, great young fish finding skippers at the helm.

Watching the next generation take over the sport...Sweet.
I don't think Cole has been a part of the Shogun team for quite some time. Sad but true.

Blue Chummer

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2014
Name
Blue Chum
Boat
Hitchin' a Ride
Good luck to Nick, And who is Beer Bob? Must be some sort of drinking legend. Lets hear some good stories.

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Beer Bob is in a class by himself.. there have been entire threads on this site dedicated to Beer Bob boat stories.

I pulled this up from an old shogun trip report.. posted by Bruce Smith

""Beer Bob" smashed his own record, averageing 31 a day, with a grand total of 403!!!!!!:eyepoppin
As Bob puts it "my mom told me, if I was going to do something good, do it real good!"

He is an outstanding passenger and a good fisherman.

Tight lines,

Jeff

Blue Chummer

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2014
Name
Blue Chum
Boat
Hitchin' a Ride
31 a day is amazing and he keeps on functioning normally? I cant have 2 before I don't function normally. I know another angler who can rival beer bob and also is a outstanding angler and passenger. Maybe get them both on the boat together and they could have a beer war.

BarneyGumble

Hey Now!!
Sep 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Bruce
Boat
Never-prefer to leave the hard work to the professionals!
I have poste this before... But it is true. I fished with BeerBob on the Shogun WillFish Tackle 13 day in 2008. Grand total was 550 beers! The crew would load a cooler just outside the galley with a fresh 30 pack of Coors light first thing in the morning and reload the cooler at about lunch. No hash marks on the galley tally sheet... Just "30 30 30 30".

I never saw him drunk. Great guy and a great fisherman. He helped me catch my first wahoo!

I would never believe it either unless I saw it in person!

norcaltunaclub

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I have poste this before... But it is true. I fished with BeerBob on the Shogun WillFish Tackle 13 day in 2008. Grand total was 550 beers! The crew would load a cooler just outside the galley with a fresh 30 pack of Coors light first thing in the morning and reload the cooler at about lunch. No hash marks on the galley tally sheet... Just "30 30 30 30".

I never saw him drunk. Great guy and a great fisherman. He helped me catch my first wahoo!

I would never believe it either unless I saw it in person!
Holy cow....550 beers consumed by Beer Bob? He was averaging 1.75 beers per hour for 13 days straight. Thats legendary (referring to his liver).....he must be ex military.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
He's drinking them for the carbs. Gotta keep that energy up.

Its awesome that the 'gun is back in the big leagues and fishing Cow trips. I gotta get back on that boat soon.

BREAK (USMC email lingo): SACTOTUNA, are you on that 15 day?

Holy cow....550 beers consumed by Beer Bob? He was averaging 1.75 beers per hour for 13 days straight. Thats legendary (referring to his liver).....he must be ex military.

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Greetings from the RP...

We will arrive at Clarion in the dark tonight Friday to begin our cow hunt Sat Morning...

Tight lines,

Jeff

picasso

Jul 27, 2009
los angeles
Name
joe
Boat
17 Boston Whaler
Nick is a nice guy and knows how to fish!
Nick borrowed someone's satellite phone and called in a report to his lovely wife, who called me with the high and low lights.

The boat started at the Bank last Tuesday afternoon, and the fishing was slow.
A couple of other boats were in the neighborhood, they all scratched away.

Nick's managed to land a couple of fish around cow size give or take a pound or two...
He's farmed a couple of big ones as well.
There's a bit of smaller grade tuna (bread & butter he calls it) mixed in with the larger units.
He didn't say anything about wahoo.
Something broke on the boat yesterday, the crew fashioned a repair while everyone kept fishing.

They've pulled the plug and are heading for Clarion for a day before starting up the line.