mkfriedrich

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 26, 2013
San Diego CA
Name
michael friedrich
Boat
Liberty
I didn’t realize the pickle I put us in until about 3 hours later. Had I known they were going to bite I would have fished 60lb. Super stoked to tag team that giant with you bud. Beast won this time around. We WILL have redemption.

mkfriedrich

Jun 26, 2013
San Diego CA
Name
michael friedrich
Boat
Liberty
Nice buddy boating with you guys yesterday. I cried a little too when you made the call. I can verify the length of battle since we were on the horn when I heard Mike screaming in the background like a little girl lol. "Uh, we gotta go" *click*

You'll get a redemption shot soon, and you'll still have this story for the grandkids....
Haha good times bro.

mkfriedrich

Jun 26, 2013
San Diego CA
Name
michael friedrich
Boat
Liberty
What a great adventure for you two. If I was hooked in to a monster Bluefin on forty pound you two would be the guy's I would trust. It's a great story of an epic battle we all want bad, now pull your chin's up and do it again.
Thanks Corey. Let’s do it all together someday.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
with all these huge BF out there why even fish 40lb line.......like taking a knife to a gun fight...
but if you caught wow what a story that would have been LOL

C.H.U.D.

Smells like fish
Aug 8, 2014
Name
c.d chudomelka
Boat
Bluewater 23T CC Twin suzukis 175
Catching yellows as your licking your wounds is better than a sharp stick in the eye!!!

Reactions: longboard85

tunastryker25

May 14, 2007
OC
Name
Kevin
Boat
Triton 2486 WA
i know exactly the feeling of sitting there in disbelief... been there twice. Just sitting there daze and confuse asking yourself how, why, where, what went wrong. Bft will do that to you.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I didn’t realize the pickle I put us in until about 3 hours later. Had I known they were going to bite I would have fished 60lb. Super stoked to tag team that giant with you bud. Beast won this time around. We WILL have redemption.
To me you did everything right. They are not biting the 60 and you both showed that 40 is do able if you have the talent. If she was to gaff that means she was to leader and you won. If you would have sunk the gaff perfectly it would have been the BD story of the year. To tag team a giant with a bud like Cody is a great story to me. It's going to be a rad season.
Thanks Corey. Let’s do it all together someday.
Yes, OK, I'm in !

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Yea Corey I've been searching for that bite on my skiff for some time now and wish it was on the right gear! Michael and i did everything we could but just wasn't meant to be yesterday. Gonna hit it again soon once this few days of weather passes.
Little boat giant tuna on light line is a sportsman dream.
It's a great story Cody, Thank you, Got my blood rushing.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Alright dude... way to go on the hookup, sorry it got away. I know how that feels, been in the same situation alone, had it gaffed good and couldn't get it in the boat. I put 100 lb bags of cement and color coat in the back of my 4x4 so I'm not exactly weak.
it cost me a jig, a gaff, and almost a rod.
You'll get another shot at it, you got to much Karma coming your way for it not to happen.
What model is your Garmin?

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
To me you did everything right. They are not biting the 60 and you both showed that 40 is do able if you have the talent. If she was to gaff that means she was to leader and you won. If you would have sunk the gaff perfectly it would have been the BD story of the year. To tag team a giant with a bud like Cody is a great story to me. It's going to be a rad season.

Yes, OK, I'm in !
40# blackwater is like 50# of most other lines, both in strength and thickness. Fish 50# fluoro at least. They will bite 60 premier, which is more like 50# of other fluoro. Still a great fight, sooooo close. I've been chasing one to make up for the 300# or so fish I lost at gaff 2 years ago. Had him circling on top for 5 minutes. I feel your pain. The 167# from last year helped a little :). Just get the next one and you'll be fine :).

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
40# blackwater is like 50# of most other lines, both in strength and thickness. Fish 50# fluoro at least. They will bite 60 premier, which is more like 50# of other fluoro. Still a great fight, sooooo close. I've been chasing one to make up for the 300# or so fish I lost at gaff 2 years ago. Had him circling on top for 5 minutes. I feel your pain. The 167# from last year helped a little :). Just get the next one and you'll be fine :).
Nice thread Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow, I have done that. That has got to be the most negative threads I've read pretending to be positive and supporting. maybe it's just me it's been a long day.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Sorry to hear the Heart Break, Next time, Don't bring a knife to a Gun Fight! Too many people make that Mistake, And end up with the similar results.

Fishin_Freeman

You'll never know, unless you go.
Jun 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Grady-White Sailfish 274
I know the feeling, we lost a beast last week on a dead flyer at color out by the 230. After about and hour and 45 minutes we were in a stalemate with him 150 ft straight down, in which we put the drag at sunset (40 lbs) and both began to pull on the rod. Got him to color after 30 minutes of that and the rod busted in half.

So now after $1000 on a new setup I’ll be back out there Thursday. $1000 not to feel that way again.

D6C6DBDD-B410-48CE-B60D-D18876C97311.jpeg

waldocod

Mar 27, 2007
Washington
Name
Steve
Boat
Arima Sea Legend
Great story! I feel for you. I have a very similar story fighting an estimated 200-250 lb bigeye on a stock Penn 113HLW with straight 50 lb mono for 4.5 hours, only to lose it at gaff when the leader touched the swim step. It sucks now, but those are the experiences that keep you going back out. You never know what you may encounter.
I made the mistake of throwing the iron on 40 lb and hooked a Bigeye during an Albacore bite that worked me over for 3 hours. Hook pulled. I feel your pain

5DB64ADE-2E97-4E67-A8F3-8E42D19A3375.jpeg

BA4DECAB-448C-4B42-A648-F7B8ADBD69CC.jpeg