Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Awesome report! Your enthusiasm is contagious. You got 3 cow? Amazing and congratulations.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Question on this and other long range trips. So when you hook and release the smaller fish…those 100# babies. Does the crew just cut the leader….thus the need for lots of leaders? What about the small fish on the jigs? Were you able to get your jigs back or is it one fish one jig gone?<o:p></o:p>

JSR

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 5, 2005
Irvine
Name
John
Boat
Royal Star
hehe Dave
having fished last year's Braid trip i know what you went through, congratulations
the comment about "Homer Simpson" Jim (Sacto) had be blowing snot rockets :)

bustin-loose

Bustin-Loose
Dec 20, 2007
Napa, ca
Name
Mark
Boat
HAS WINGS
<font color="black">Awesome report! Your enthusiasm is contagious. You got 3 cow? Amazing and congratulations.ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
p><p><font color=
<o:p> </o:p>

Question on this and other long range trips. So when you hook and release the smaller fish…those 100# babies. Does the crew just cut the leader….thus the need for lots of leaders? What about the small fish on the jigs? Were you able to get your jigs back or is it one fish one jig gone?<o:p></o:p>

The Royal Star's Top Notch Guys on deck did not cut may leaders unless it was one of the pesky brown sharks. We got most every hook back we wanted to leaving us with nothing lost other than the line needed to re-tie or crimp if as if you had brought the fish aboard. How you ask........, as did I the first time on the trip. Angler lays the fish out on the surface under tight line, Deck Hand slides the gaff around the line and down to the loop of the hook, hold a tight line, put the tip of the rod down as close to the water as possible, you pull one way, gaff pulls the the other way and they pull the hook out the way it went in.

I had one day I released at least 8 in the 120-170 range without losing a thing. I lost track of how may total releases were made on tha trip but I would guess no less than 2 scores and we still had all the RSW's plugged.

I had no fantasy we would would ever repeat a trip like we had last year. Afterall, it is fishing, but Two in a row......... The Royal Star get's it done, and done right.

Maximus

Jul 10, 2005
Glendale, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Royal Star
Dave,
Great meeting you at the dock. Sounds like another stellar trip with our group for the 3rd year in a row! I'm even more bummed I couldn't make the trip this year. Great report, hope to see group again next year...

Jerry

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
congratulations Dave! :appl:

I knew that "I know" that smile. :D

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Kohei............
you killed it brutha! :)

Yeah he did. He was ALWAYS hooked up. He also got FOUR cows! But it was funny to watch him scheme for 3 hours to catch a wahoo, finally hook one, hear him laugh, hollar and giggle with glee to watch it burn line, then *PLINK*. Gone.

So anti-climatic....

Kohei, it was an absolute pleasure to fish with you too, we gotta share the rail again soon...also, I owe you an email...

Dave

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
yeah, Dave
too bad you weren't on the year before
we'd have had fun

yeah I know, I was SUPPOSE to be on that last year's trip, deposit was getting set to be made when I got a phone call from the Battalion XO. It started with "Have I got a deal for you!"

6 months later I was in Afghanistan. You can imagine my angst when I read the boat reports sitting in some hut.

But, alls well that ends well!

h2osycho1

Jul 31, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Crazy Pineapple
Boat
Kayak
Dave you SUCK! I'm just envious of your trip. Congratulations on your 3 cows!!! Great report and pics. And thanks for the "Cow Manifesto". It was a good read and certainly gave me alot of current info on tackle and techniques.

Hope to fish with you again bruddah!

Andy