Cow jig reel?

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
I am thinking about getting a jig reel for cows. What are you guys using . I’ve used my Avet Pro 30 in the past but I am not a fan of how it winds.

I am thinking about getting something at the show.

I’d be interested I hearing what you guys are using.

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
My friend uses the talica 20ii with the low gear swap and talica 50 handle. Hes uses them in PV for grinding pl68s at night. The hi gear and narrow tall spool allows fast retrievals. In his opinion the orginal low gear ratio is too high for effective cranking power when ur straight up and down. I think Shimano in irvine does the low gear swap.

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Look at the Penn 20VIX. Plenty of drag, excellent free spool, and the high gear is great for jigs. If you haven't seen one, it's call a 20 but it's very close to the same size as an Avet 30. And for jigging, you'll love the silent dogs.

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Look at the Penn 20VIX. Plenty of drag, excellent free spool, and the high gear is great for jigs. If you haven't seen one, it's call a 20 but it's very close to the same size as an Avet 30. And for jigging, you'll love the silent dogs.
That's a good option its more narrow than a mak20. I bought a new 30visx last year on sale i own a mak 20 and wanted a 2nd one but couldnt pass up the deal. The 30visx is closer in size and line cap to the mak20 than it is to my friends 20visx. i mic'd the empty reels. I wasn't too impressed with the sloppy gears. it might be just the one i bought. Love that quick release strike to full button. Good line retrieve numbers.

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
I guess I should have been more clear since the last few years you can catch a cow locally in So Cal (still blows my mind). But yes, I am talking about Hurricane Bank. I was looking at the Avet 50 3 speed as that seemed to have the higher gear ratio. But I will have to wind that reel, if it makes noise like the 30, I am out. It drives me crazy!

i was also thinking the HXW Raptor or the Accurate Valiant 1000.

Last edited:

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I guess I should have been more clear since the last few years you can catch a cow locally in So Cal (still blows my mind). But yes, I am talking about Hurricane Bank. I was looking at the Avet 50 3 speed as that seemed to have the higher gear ratio. But I will have to wind that reel, it it makes noise like the 30, I am out. It drives me crazy!

i was also thinking the HXW Raptor or the Accurate Valiant 1000.

Also note that you have a fundamental choice to make, between "medium frame" reels, such as Talica and Raptor, and "heavy frame" reels such as Internationals and MAK's.
Then figure how much line you want the reel to hold.
After making the above choices, you should be left with only a couple of choices, so then go with the gear ratio/IPT you want for both cranking the jig and also for fighting the fish.
Comparable choices to models already mentioned:
HXW Raptor=Torque TRQ60LD2 [both medium frame, same line capacity]
Talica 20=Torque TRQ40NLD2 [both medium frame, same line capacity]

To illustrate the difference between frame styles:
International 16VISX [heavy frame]= same line capacity as medium frame models HXW raptor and TRQ60LD2
International 12VISX [heavy frame]= same line capacity as medium frame models Talica 20 and TRQ40NLD2.

There are several threads at BDO that discuss the difference between heavy frame and medium frame reels; both have their advantages and disadvantages.

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
The larger frame reels are just too slow in my opinion. I have those pretty much covered with 2 ATD 50s, Mak 30, tiagra 20a, 30a, penn 16s (old school), avet pro 30, and tiagra 50w LRS.

With any of those, I have to wind my ass off to get the jig to have any good action.

Reactions: spongehead

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Youll have a tuff choice to make but damn fun time figuring it out. Please report back ur findings ill be looking forward to reading it.

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
Take a look at the Accurate Valiant 800 or 1000
I love valiants, I have a bunch, not not sure of the ARB in a 100# reel. I‘ve got 2 BV2-800Ns that I am planning on fishing 80 on.

I’m going to ask some friends that work on the long range boats what their thoughts are when I am at the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: karlk1125

shooter21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
I love variants, I have a bunch, not not sure of the ARB in a 100# reel. I‘ve got 2 BV2-800Ns that I am planning on fishing 80 on.

I’m going to ask some friends that work on the long range boats what their thoughts are when I am at the show.
It would be interesting to see what they have to say about them, i have a valiant 800 and really want an 800n if i can find one in black

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good Evening Broton,

Those who know me are aware that I LOVE to drop JRI 8's in the dark after dinner or early morning. Though, these days, I might prefer to sleep after about 10 PM. I absolutely have my favorite reels for the noted task but are very much angler specific.

You have lots of interesting reels...some very good and some... Less good. In todays world, I am not sure I would purchase a 50 size reel for dropping heavy jigs at the Bank or anywhere .. Longevity at the rail is a function of technique, weight of rig, ease of use and the ability to handle the size of the reel of choice... I agree with you about speed of grind but remember, with taller gears comes the need for better fish fighting technique... I do not have giant hands, therefore I almost never fish a 50 sized reel regardless of the targeted species...I might rig one for fishing big baits, if I run out of reels, but it is the last rig I grab. However, there are those who love and are comfortable fly lining and dropping jigs using a 50 and that is cool, but the number of folks doing West Coast Long Range using 50 size reels is getting fewer and fewer.. Another angler specific decision.

No doubt medium frame reels are much easier to use than the bigger and heavier duty reels but for the task at hand, specifically Long Range Yellowfin cows ....I would be leery of those thinner walled reels. I certainly have used my Avet HXW's for the task but, even for me, who loves lighter smaller reels for most long range applications, I go with my high speeded Accurate 30 open top reels when dropping JRI 8 and PL 68 jigs. Dropping jigs is not a stealth application thus My 30's have the ATD 12 sized gearing in them giving me a roughly 5 - 1 Gear ratio but for many, that speed might feel too high. For me, I love them and have for a decade and a half.

I had all of my Accurate 30 and 50 Sized reels high speeded and changed frames to the open top, 15 or so years ago as that is how I prefer to use my big gear.. I have loved them ever since. However, With High speed gearing, Technique matters..A ton.. For the majority of anglers this is not a direction I would recommend. I just do not know if Accurate still does this mod.

I do use my HXW's for live bait applications during pick bite situations.... However, for me, this reel is more a specialty reel, for bait, rather than an all around, regular use reel.. The HXW is a wonderful reel but perhaps not best used in the application you noted, at least for me. I want to get my drag up to a true 28 -30 pounds of drag as soon as I get over and around other anglers. This means the robust build of the heavier walled and built reels, that do not flex as much as the HX series, works best for me when I am not in a technical bait fishing application.

With that said, If you are comfortable holding and cranking your 50 size ATD's, I would consider calling Accurate to see if they still do a high speed modification.. Perhaps they can also do a service at the same time if your reels need it. Again, for me, the 50 is too big but perhaps they fit your hands.

If Accurate no longer does this high speed mod, then contact Cal Sheets and discuss with them your request... They do an amazing job of upgrading most any of the noted reels.. You can also discuss with them improving your free spool if that is important to you..

Now, if a customer came into the shop asking your question, with the same parameters you have noted, I would recommend the Penn VISX 20 as their high gear seems best suited for what you are requesting... The other option, which will end up being more expensive, is to purchase a Makaira 20 after discussing with the guys at Cal Sheets their opinion on high speeding the reel..
Both are great options depending how each reel feels in your hands. Both of these reels holds plenty of 100 # spectra and even heavier short top shots, both reels are Awesome and have plenty of cranking power..

It does appear as if cranking "Feel" is important to you, so, as I have written previously, if you choose to purchase a new reel, make sure you have your tackle shop put the Mak, Avet, Penn or other considered reel on your rod of choice so that you can see for yourself what the rig feels like when duplicating your technique of winding 360 degrees with a heavy jig. ... Because there will not be line on the new reel, set your drag lever with only a small amount of drag, lightly pinch the side of the spool against the frame with your off hand, and then crank several 360 degree turns... As you increase the drag by pushing the lever forward you will pinch a bit harder until you replicate the feel of the weight of a pulled drop jig. Continue pinching as you push that lever forward both in high and low gear to see how each reels feel under a load. You will want to note what your sensory feel is through out the entire range of motion as each reel has a slightly different knob angle... Not a perfect replication but way better than nothing.

If you are looking for the best and need to figure out how to pay for it, consider selling some of your older reels that may not have todays feel. Though your Tiagra reels were work horses back in the day, by todays standard use on those ultra long trips, they may no longer be a reel of choice. The old 16S same deal when considering using them for Ultra Long Range Tuna Work. Put them up on the BD classifieds for sale, Ebay or if possible, donate them to Friends of Rollo and get a write off. If you feel you are running out of rigs because you sold so many, reserve one or two big rigs from your long range big boat of choice..

If you have other questions you are welcome to PM me. Very best of luck on your decision.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Briefly had a Penn 50T high speeded. Anyone still using one?
Yes. 4:1 gears by Cal. Works fine for me. I also have a HX Raptor on a short "jigging rod" which is much easier to handle than the larger reels. My thinking is that tuna, when hooked at night, and with a large jig in its mouth don't make long runs, so a high capacity reel is not needed. 100# Spectra with a wind-on leader on both reels.

Reactions: FishRock

canyonman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
I do feel that a 50 size reel has it’s place at the bank. I’ve killed a few cow fish on the PL and always felt that I was able to put the wood to a fish in the dark and end any possibility of a prolonged battle

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZZZZ