Cow chasing 2021 recommendations?

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Says the guy with a handle of "Pitching Wedge"!

There is a sport that constantly digs in your wallet.

Not baggin on you, just ironic, as I used to spend my fair share chasing a white ball around.

Haha, I wrote that little post in jest. Thought the bit about hooking a hottie in the butt made it obvious. 🤷‍♂️

No worries tho, these forums are all shiz and giggles for when we can't make it out on the water.

Reactions: BluefinCurly
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Fishing is an addiction if you catch a cow you will never be able to give it up.

Are you saying the unquenchable thirst doesnt go away after catching a cow?

I was looking forward to a cow so that I can stop the spending, staying up at night thinking about fish before trips, watching the same ol' you tube vids of guys pulling on big BFT, and constantly watching the classifieds... but now I'm questioning if it will ever end. 🤪

Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....

I was looking forward to a cow so that I can stop the spending, staying up at night thinking about fish before trips, watching the same ol' you tube vids of guys pulling on big BFT, and constantly watching the classifieds... but now I'm questioning if it will ever end. 🤪
    Fishermen’s rehab= more fishing

Reactions: SaltH20Angler
    Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback

What happened after you caught your PB before your last PB?

As for the classifieds, i’m guessing people are getting their inboxes blown up and the odds of landing something is real low. Try posting daiwa sk jigs for sale and see what happens 🙃.

Those infomercials you see during the wee hours while the captain’s trying to find a school that’ll bite. You ever wonder if the boat’s got a satellite phone and if someone on the end of the line would roleplay as a cow bft before?
    Can they peel some drag reel good? Give you a few headshakes? How bout a tailslap?

Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    Snowboarding for 10 days is pretty expensive too. And you can’t even take any snow home to eat. Well, you could, but I wouldn’t.

Upvote 0

Runway1

Almost A Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    Runway1
    Boat
    None
    Quit while you’re ahead before you start getting into it. Most of us who have been fishing a while have probably spent 15k-30k on gear easy. This does not include the truck you end up buying bc it’s needed to tow the boat you did not need. And for those of us who our wives have lost all hope…when you see a truck get 10 mph you are screaming that’s great mileage bc our boats barely get 1 mpg chasing tail all weekend. Hell…half of us would give up our left nut for a boat that gets 5 mpg.
    No offense but I think this is quite an exaggeration. CAN you spend a fortune....sure, if you've lost all perspective and judgment. 15k-30k on gear?? Seriously? Seems like that would be a store, not an individual. I get the gear-whore mentality...I work to push it off and again...maintain a reasonable perspective.

Why would I go off spending endless thousands every year on maintaining a boat (there's a can or worms)? I wouldn't buy my plane either. I can rent/charter either for a SMALL fraction of the cost - even private charters are faaaar cheaper. So again, CAN you go crazy....sure, but that's a choice, not a default.

I have 6 rod/reel setups. They do all I need in socal. I have three more for fresh water. All together, ~$4k in gear, with tackle included. That's near $0 nonrecurring cost. Recurring cost are the charter boats....6x/year...ok. That's a few $k. This is not any more expensive than skiing, diving, hunting, competition shooting, etc. Actually, far cheaper than most.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Large tuna fishing is BIg Game Hunting on the water. Just like having the desire to go after a certain animal, wherever in the world that it lives, can easily turn into a very frustrating obsession, the dream of standing next to a fish as big as you are and even bigger can get both expensive and physically challenging.

If you REALLY need to add a big tuna to your bucket list, the least expensive way and least time-consuming way to do it is to invest in a flight down to P.V. Mexico and take a three or four day trip on one of several excellent charter boats that sail from there. Your odds of tagging a huge tuna are excellent, far better than going on multiple trips from San Diego and sharing the rail with two dozen other people. That Long Range scene is a whole different way to fish, and a special joy in its' own right, but as far as targeting a huge tuna it is not nearly as likely. I know guys who have been on a dozen or more of those 7-day to 14-day runs and had wonderful adventures, but still have never tagged a cow tuna.

If you don't get a cow tuna out of P.V. on your first trip, go back for a second time. I really, really doubt that you would need three trips to get it done. And the boat has all of the right gear that you would need to use, you don't need to accumulate more stuff that will gather dust in your garage. Just like you don't need to buy an elephant gun to go on a safari in Africa, and then never shoot it again after you come back home.

Reactions: northernchad
    Upvote 0