Cow chasing 2021 recommendations?

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat
Hobie outback
Hey guys, I have recently acquired an addiction to tuna fishing and dream about landing one over 200 lbs.

Given the popular SD LR boats are booked full up to the end of the year. What are a few other options that would provide good opportunities?

Currently, I plan on going out every 1-2 months. Looking at the reports, conditions, and 1.5-3 day trips. Jumping on a boat spontaneously whenever I get the opportunity.

Are there certain months where there are a higher percentage of bigger grade fish around?

I see a few openings for long range trips around the end of the year and new years. Is the fishing different at that time of year, what to expect on those trips?

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
Fishing is a rich mans sport nowdays….try logically explaining to the wife spending $400 a day for a 10 dayer. Oh and then she finds out how much of a tip was given. Her natural response is “you know how much fish you can buy for +4K?”

Imagine what we would say to our wives going on a shopping spree for 10 days and charging $400 a day on the cc ! “Are you fn crazy !!” 🤣

Last edited:

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Fishing is a stupid sport.
    I wish I never tried it.

When I started "fishing", I didn't realize that the wallet was the fish being targeted. But now, I can see clearly how this stupid sport works:

The wallet makes constant reaction bites to shiny new things. The more expensive the better. It usually can't resist a live bait, as long as the bait is hot (hook the bait in the butt for bonus points). Sometimes it gets trolled. Sometimes it's just snagged. Often, it gets caught up in a hot tangled mess.

In the end, it always end up with less than what you put into it. Clearly, a sport for the stupid.

Upvote 0

Sirgonzolot

Jan 17, 2021
    Pa
    Name
    Stephen Gonzalez
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Fishing is an addiction if you catch a cow you will never be able to give it up.
    Topgun keeps limiting out. Might have a shot at fish over 100lbs. Ma brain may explode if I get a 2hunski! Its a sickness once you get bit! I got 5k in gear and not even set up for the 10 yet. The battle of attrition at the rail, Intrepid is on the bucket list!

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

Jankity

Apr 23, 2019
    Modesto, CA
    Name
    Gurjeet S. Rai
    Boat
    Thunderjet
    Probably best to jump on one of those boats that aren't booked up for months. The fleets out there together anyways. Always a chance.

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    The tug is the drug. See if you can get on a charter wait list, usually less crowded and you may get invited back if you aren't a douche. :-)

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    When I started "fishing", I didn't realize that the wallet was the fish being targeted. But now, I can see clearly how this stupid sport works:

The wallet makes constant reaction bites to shiny new things. The more expensive the better. It usually can't resist a live bait, as long as the bait is hot (hook the bait in the butt for bonus points). Sometimes it gets trolled. Sometimes it's just snagged. Often, it gets caught up in a hot tangled mess.

In the end, it always end up with less than what you put into it. Clearly, a sport for the stupid.
    So I made this post before I left to go fishing .
    We were a little burned out after getting our asses handed to us by the south wind the last 2 days( thurs forecast way way off) .
    I make it to the ramp and theres an old dude all set up on the dock fishing. I'm walking down he is bit! He lands a saucer size Round Stingray.

I said something like "alright you got him".
    That old dude was pumped!
    "That's my fourth one this morning! I got an 8 and a half pounder yesterday" happy as a person could be.

That old dude knew what fishing was about.
    I had lost track a bit.

My buddy felt the same. We had a great attitude on the water today even though he waited a long time for me to show up and then I had to wait for him to take my car home to get some shit he forget and didnt realize til we were underway.

While I waited with the boat the old timer repeated his exploits to me and I enjoyed every word
    Thanks old dude

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Fishing is a rich mans sport nowdays….try logically explaining to the wife spending $400 a day for a 10 dayer. Oh and then she finds out how much of a tip was given. Her natural response is “you know how much fish you can buy for +4K?”
    Don't forget about all that tackle you bought before the trip and the $500-$1200 fish processing bill. The cost of the boat ticket is the cheap part of the trip!

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport

Maybe you should take up playing Bingo or Playing Tennis, If Fishing bothers you that much!

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Probably best to jump on one of those boats that aren't booked up for months. The fleets out there together anyways. Always a chance.
    Theirs a reason why some boats always have space on them up until the day they depart. For an Example, Take a look at the O95, They always have room and they still fish with all the other S.D. Boats. Save your $$ and go on a boat that always catches fish and knows what their doing fishing these Big BFT's, It's not like your fishing Calico bass or Rock cod.

Jankity
    Jankity
    I get it, but you ain't getting out on the pack queen till like the end of the year. If you itching to get out, will have to balance how long you gonna wait and availability. Sometimes I think certain boats just get less experienced individuals on board making it harder to get those numbers that certain boats get.
    Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
    so cal
    www.socalfishingdynamics.com
    Name
    will
    Boat
    Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
    Quit while you’re ahead before you start getting into it. Most of us who have been fishing a while have probably spent 15k-30k on gear easy. This does not include the truck you end up buying bc it’s needed to tow the boat you did not need. And for those of us who our wives have lost all hope…when you see a truck get 10 mph you are screaming that’s great mileage bc our boats barely get 1 mpg chasing tail all weekend. Hell…half of us would give up our left nut for a boat that gets 5 mpg.

its cheaper to be addicted to crack than big tuna. You’re better off just being an alcoholic.

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Soon to be the great State of Texas
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    Hey guys, I have recently acquired an addiction to tuna fishing and dream about landing one over 200 lbs.

Given the popular SD LR boats are booked full up to the end of the year. What are a few other options that would provide good opportunities?

Currently, I plan on going out every 1-2 months. Looking at the reports, conditions, and 1.5-3 day trips. Jumping on a boat spontaneously whenever I get the opportunity.

Are there certain months where there are a higher percentage of bigger grade fish around?

I see a few openings for long range trips around the end of the year and new years. Is the fishing different at that time of year, what to expect on those trips?

thanks in advance!
    Late July thru Oct have been the most consistent the last 4 years for the bigguns.
    When they settle in between Clemente basin and the banks.

Reactions: Senko888
    Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Soon to be the great State of Texas
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Vagabond, The Last Minute

Says the guy with a handle of "Pitching Wedge"!

There is a sport that constantly digs in your wallet.

Not baggin on you, just ironic, as I used to spend my fair share chasing a white ball around.

Upvote 0