Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    Just got in last night after landing a 232lb bft on my PENN 16VISX. I had it rigged with 100lb braid to a 80 floro leader. I was originally using that "other manufacturer's" 20 size reel for my 100lb set up during the trip. After a big tangle and the crew having to cut my jig at the last stop and not having time to re-tie I grabbed my PENN 16VISX mounted on a 76 Centaur. I had a 250gram SK jig crimped to the 80lb floro leader. I was going to use this rig during the day so didn't put a heavy 200lb bite leader on. Dropped down to about 300ft and I'm on. I was concerned about line capacity as well as only using 80lb with no heavy leader. The reel worked flawlessly. It's so much lighter and easier to work with than a 20 size reel. The 16VISX is a true BFT cow reel IMO. The fish dumped about 3/4 of the spool on the initial run but after that it was an epic battle of the that back and forth for about an hour until 4 gaffs sunk in it and it was brought through the side door.

bft 2.jpg

bft 1.jpg

Last edited:

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Great!

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The 16 is a formidable reel no doubt, Good work!

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

Rhett121

Jan 25, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Name
    Rhett
    Boat
    20’ Shamrock Pilothouse
    How much 100 do you have on it? I put 80lb Threadlock on mine and was able to fit an entire 600yd spool but not much room for anything else, maybe a short wind on leader.

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I bought the reel used but from what I understand, the previous owner got a little over 500yds of 100lb on it and I run 25' of 80lb flor leader on mine.

Upvote 0