Kingfisher

Kingfisher
Oct 11, 2004
SD
Name
scott
Boat
Pursuit 3800
So you’ve had a great day and there she is 200lbs of BFT sitting on your deck. Bleed her, remove gills and innards and then what? To big to go in cooler or kill bag. How do you keep her in good shape and iced?

Thank you

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
So you’ve had a great day and there she is 200lbs of BFT sitting on your deck. Bleed her, remove gills and innards and then what? To big to go in cooler or kill bag. How do you keep her in good shape and iced?

Thank you
Then bring trash bags cut the fish into smaller pieces put into trash bag out into college and kill bag with ice. Bags makes sure meat don't soak up fresh water from the ice

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None

Thank you
A lot of ice after doing all you mentioned

7143E9B1-76E4-423E-B563-C92AED8DC9D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kingfisher

Kingfisher
Oct 11, 2004
SD
Name
scott
Boat
Pursuit 3800
You’d need a very large kill bag to put a 200 to 300 LB fish in it with ice. I'm imagining There’s a good way to help keep the meat fresh that is somewhat easy to implement and manage

Upvote 0

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
Catch it, then drag it tail first behind the boat going slow, 3-5 knots. This will bring the fish temp down closer to water temp. Then gill/gut the fish and pack in insides with ice. You don’t need 400lbs of ice. Quarter the fish and put on ice based on what coolers/kill bags you have on board. Crack a beer and head to the barn!

Reactions: clevel
Upvote 0

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
350 pounds of ice was good for a cow and a super cow. Small boat with not that much duck space or we would’ve brought more

One 72” kill bag with tail sticking out and one homemade kill bag out of a tarp a sleeping bag some insulating bubble wrap and a roll of duct tape

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
This is my favorite part. Having a successful trip and being grossly under-iced. Then going back out with 400lbs of ice for a big ass skunk! It's becoming quite the pattern.
==>me this weekend

Was at a Vons dead tired on Saturday night buying an extra 200lbs of ice “in case we scored some big ones” on Sunday....you know how that played out

Reactions: C.Bergs
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Back when I had a boat, I used 1/2-gallon plastic milk jugs filled 90% with water and frozen in the big chest freezer in the garage. When going offshore I would take twelve in two plastic milk crates, placed out of the way and covered with a tarp and an old sleeping bag. They would NOT defrost much all day, and if I got lucky and got a big fish they would go both inside and around the gutted fish and then the tarp and sleeping bag would go over the fish.

Used or unused, the plastic milk jugs would go back into the chest freezer until needed, washed of course if used. The fish would always chill quickly and come back in great shape.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    Then bring trash bags cut the fish into smaller pieces put into trash bag out into college and kill bag with ice. Bags makes sure meat don't soak up fresh water from the ice
    By law you can not cut into small pieces.Sorry if you do get ready to pay.
    Thats the law..The best way is get the guts out,Pack the inside of fish with ice.Put it in a kill bag full of ice.Cut at dock.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Advertiser
    May 26, 2007
    Where ever fish need to be caught.
    Name
    Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
    Boat
    YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
    Catch it, then drag it tail first behind the boat going slow, 3-5 knots. This will bring the fish temp down closer to water temp. Then gill/gut the fish and pack in insides with ice. You don’t need 400lbs of ice. Quarter the fish and put on ice based on what coolers/kill bags you have on board. Crack a beer and head to the barn!
    If you quarter it you will get a ticket.

Upvote 0