dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I sat down and talked to my doctor 2 weeks ago about all this as I have a 10 day leaving on Monday. He did not have a concern after I explained the living quarters on a long range boat. I asked him what have we learned in the last 6 months about the virus. Not a lot he said but he told me what they do know. It seems to be a disease of the indoors that does not have great air movement. It seems that to be infected, you need to be in such an area with an infected person for about 30 minutes. The less time spent there, the better off you are. He was extremely confident that you can not get it when in the outdoors with the wind blowing. His analogy was this. Watch how cigarette smoke lingers when in a bar or room with no circulation. Take that same cigarette and go outside and watch how fast the smoke disburses to nothing. That is what happens to infected, aerosolized air as it leaves the lungs of a sick person.

He also told me that 80% of the patients who test positive show no or mild symptoms. The other 20% will show moderate to sever symptoms that need to be monitored and treated for lung inflammation. The earlier you are treated, the better off you are. Out of the 100%, 2 to 3 will die, with almost all of them being over 82 and/or having some underlying cause.

He said we will all be exposed to it. The hope is to have treatments, which we seem to have now, by the time you get infected. He talked about the aids virus they were studying early in his career. They were pinning their hopes on a vaccine, which still has not happened. Aids is now treated with pharmaceuticals that have been developed to the point that people will live normal lives. He is betting that the vaccine for covid will be marginally effective but that drugs will be developed to fight it effectively in the future, with the first one unveiled about 2 weeks ago. He was a wealth of knowledge that I did not get from the TV

He said the medical community is treating way more patients for anxiety and depression than for covid! What a shock!!! Not.

He told me , go on your trip, don't put yourself in a bad area and enjoy yourself. He ended the conversation by telling me not to get my medical advise from the news stations like CNN. If you want to know something about medicine, ask your doctor.

Even with that in mind, I am still requiring everyone on my charter to have a covid test before getting on board, for everyone's piece of mind, with test results by 2 days before we get on and to self quarantine, to the best of your ability, before we leave. We will still go through all Covid protocols on the boat and after 7 days if no one shows symptoms, we will relax. We all agree on board this a reasonable action for our trip. We will also keep all the galley windows open when people are inside.

About testing. Everyone's medical plan treats it differently we have found. Kaiser in LA now has travel testing for Covid, which is something that is new and they refused to do before. I do not know about San Diego. Some are covered under their medical plans, some have to pay out of pocket. We used Alpine Urgent Care in Alpine. It is a 20 minute test, they will bill Medicare, tri-care and PPO plans.

Good luck to everyone , don't be stupid and have fun!!

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
My wife's friend was on the Diamond Princess and their roommate got it, he wore a mask the whole time and never tested positive. Just saying.
I think you are making my point -- as mask may provide some protection for brief contact, but mask or not, if you are living in close quarters with someone for days on end, you are going to get exposed if they are infectious. Having a mask in that circumstance won't make a difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Sawmill killer
Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    If -- as we all hope -- you have to stay over for all those fish to be processed, you may be able to get a Hospital out-patient test with overnight results.
    I am in the Scripps system and my primary made a lab appointment - overnight result.
    Overnight tip . . . . if you like BBQ look for Phils Barbeque in the Sports Arena area.
    Tight lines!

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    I think you are making my point -- as mask may provide some protection for brief contact, but mask or not, if you are living in close quarters with someone for days on end, you are going to get exposed if they are infectious. Having a mask in that circumstance won't make a difference.
    10 + days off sleeping in the same room with a sick infected person. Why not just wear a mask to protect yourself just in case.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    10 + days off sleeping in the same room with a sick infected person. Why not just wear a mask to protect yourself just in case.

You win the prize for misunderstanding the efficacy of masks. Hard to do, but BRAVO! If someone were smoking, do you think your mask would trap the smoke particles? If someone farted? So by what magic mechanism do you think that a mask would trap a virus particle? Do you have any understanding of the physics involved? Thank you for sharing your thoughtful insight.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes

If this was humor, please forgive me. Above you said you mentioned an example of masks not working. If it wasn't humor, I have a suggestion -- why not just always (i.e., 24 x 7) wear a condom "just in case"?

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    If this was humor, please forgive me. Above you said you mentioned an example of masks not working. If it wasn't humor, I have a suggestion -- why not just always (i.e., 24 x 7) wear a condom "just in case"?
    Ask the wife for a steak, blowjob and blunt to chill out before you have a jammer bud.

Was just trying to share an experience to maybe help out but I'll just F off...maybe you should do the same

Reactions: Montaukmaniac
    Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
    I am on the Intrepid 10-day shoving off on October 31 (What will I wear?). My 87 year-old mother-in-law is now living with us due to a lethal COVID outbreak at her retirement home. I don't dare come home with COVID.

Here's my plan:

I found a private lab in San Diego that does drive-through COVID testing (usspecialtylabs.com). The test for current infection only costs $85, and they claim to provide results in 24 to 48 hours. Since I live in Tucson and all those fish I'm going to catch will surely overwhelm the collective processing capacity in San Diego, I figure I will drive to the test immediately after disembarking and spend the night in San Diego. I will therefore have little, if any, need for quarantine before I get home, unless of course I test positive.

I feel a hell of a lot better about going on the trip with this plan in place.

Good plan to make sure Mom avoids the Covid. Also helps make sure you would not be a carrier. Heartbreaking if you broughtCovid home and she got it. I like what you’re doing.

Reactions: Montaukmaniac
    Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Great post dwaynesda.

Ill add, you are not going to get it from a surface either.

Upvote 0

joey997

Almost A Member
    Jan 19, 2020
    Nevada City
    Name
    Joey Hernandez
    Boat
    Seaswirl Striper 2150
    I am on the Intrepid 10-day shoving off on October 31 (What will I wear?). My 87 year-old mother-in-law is now living with us due to a lethal COVID outbreak at her retirement home. I don't dare come home with COVID.

Here's my plan:

I found a private lab in San Diego that does drive-through COVID testing (usspecialtylabs.com). The test for current infection only costs $85, and they claim to provide results in 24 to 48 hours. Since I live in Tucson and all those fish I'm going to catch will surely overwhelm the collective processing capacity in San Diego, I figure I will drive to the test immediately after disembarking and spend the night in San Diego. I will therefore have little, if any, need for quarantine before I get home, unless of course I test positive.

I feel a hell of a lot better about going on the trip with this plan in place.

I just went on a trip and they were very responsible and safe! I suggest just getting a hotel for the night after washing all your clothes at a laundry mat and taking a shower to kill any covid if your actually around it. They did a great job keeping the boat clean. Also salt water kills covid and the salt in the air kills all covid you should have nothing to worry about my friend! Bring some airborne and vitamin C if your are really worried to boost your immune system!

Reactions: pmurphy
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Unless very tight fitting the masks are basically useless. Any air seepage coming into the mask provides little protection.
    Masks do nothing to protect you. All they do is slow the spread if YOU are infected.

Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    Hobie kayak
    A quick internet search shows lots of speculation that salt treatments (gargling) may help in the early part of a COVID infection. I found nothing suggesting that salt air inhibits the spread of COVID.

Cites, please!

Reactions: tommysdad
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Masks do nothing to protect you. All they do is slow the spread if YOU are infected.
    You know, the theory is, your mask helps protect me, my mask protects you

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Unless very tight fitting the masks are basically useless. Any air seepage coming into the mask provides little protection.

Masks and face shields serve different basic purposes. The mask primarily keeps you from infecting others. The face shield protects YOU much more effectively.

If I were going now (I can't, and I know it), I would arrive in SD a week early, self-quarantine, and get a test three days beforehand. All of this assuming I have the time to spend.

This wouldn't be perfect, but it's the best I can come up with to try to keep from bringing the virus on board with me. There is still a significant possibility that someone else, with the best of intentions and through no fault of their own, could bring it with them anyway.

That's why a trip now is a bad idea for me (I'm high risk).

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Passengers requested it and RR complied
    Thanks, Donna. Makes the most sense and as testing becomes better with faster more accurate results, I would hope to see this become standard for all trips, short or long.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    Thanks, Donna. Makes the most sense and as testing becomes better with faster more accurate results, I would hope to see this become standard for all trips, short or long.
    You have to get enough passengers together to request this from your boat's office.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    I sat down and talked to my doctor 2 weeks ago about all this as I have a 10 day leaving on Monday. He did not have a concern after I explained the living quarters on a long range boat. I asked him what have we learned in the last 6 months about the virus. Not a lot he said but he told me what they do know. It seems to be a disease of the indoors that does not have great air movement. It seems that to be infected, you need to be in such an area with an infected person for about 30 minutes. The less time spent there, the better off you are. He was extremely confident that you can not get it when in the outdoors with the wind blowing. His analogy was this. Watch how cigarette smoke lingers when in a bar or room with no circulation. Take that same cigarette and go outside and watch how fast the smoke disburses to nothing. That is what happens to infected, aerosolized air as it leaves the lungs of a sick person.

He also told me that 80% of the patients who test positive show no or mild symptoms. The other 20% will show moderate to sever symptoms that need to be monitored and treated for lung inflammation. The earlier you are treated, the better off you are. Out of the 100%, 2 to 3 will die, with almost all of them being over 82 and/or having some underlying cause.

He said we will all be exposed to it. The hope is to have treatments, which we seem to have now, by the time you get infected. He talked about the aids virus they were studying early in his career. They were pinning their hopes on a vaccine, which still has not happened. Aids is now treated with pharmaceuticals that have been developed to the point that people will live normal lives. He is betting that the vaccine for covid will be marginally effective but that drugs will be developed to fight it effectively in the future, with the first one unveiled about 2 weeks ago. He was a wealth of knowledge that I did not get from the TV

He said the medical community is treating way more patients for anxiety and depression than for covid! What a shock!!! Not.

He told me , go on your trip, don't put yourself in a bad area and enjoy yourself. He ended the conversation by telling me not to get my medical advise from the news stations like CNN. If you want to know something about medicine, ask your doctor.

Even with that in mind, I am still requiring everyone on my charter to have a covid test before getting on board, for everyone's piece of mind, with test results by 2 days before we get on and to self quarantine, to the best of your ability, before we leave. We will still go through all Covid protocols on the boat and after 7 days if no one shows symptoms, we will relax. We all agree on board this a reasonable action for our trip. We will also keep all the galley windows open when people are inside.

About testing. Everyone's medical plan treats it differently we have found. Kaiser in LA now has travel testing for Covid, which is something that is new and they refused to do before. I do not know about San Diego. Some are covered under their medical plans, some have to pay out of pocket. We used Alpine Urgent Care in Alpine. It is a 20 minute test, they will bill Medicare, tri-care and PPO plans.

Good luck to everyone , don't be stupid and have fun!!

"Good luck to everyone , don't be stupid and have fun!!"

1,000,000,000,000,000 X Brotha.

Thank you!

Peas & carrots, baseball & Balentine, bent rods & screaming reels...

Got to love those classic combinations:
    Logic & science!

Reactions: stephen campbell
    Upvote 0

flickfish

Almost A Member
    Dec 8, 2015
    San Francisco
    Name
    Nic
    Boat
    Sea Wolf
    You win the prize for misunderstanding the efficacy of masks. Hard to do, but BRAVO! If someone were smoking, do you think your mask would trap the smoke particles? If someone farted? So by what magic mechanism do you think that a mask would trap a virus particle? Do you have any understanding of the physics involved? Thank you for sharing your thoughtful insight.

And you win the prize for thinking a smoke particle is the same size as a droplet. Masks won't catch all of it but will mitigate. This is the same juvenile argument as "OMG YOU CAN SMELL FARTS THROUGH MY JEANS, SO WHY DO MASKS WORK?"

Upvote 0

oldtrackster

Nov 18, 2007
    Texas
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    sadly none
    I just finished quarantine for having COVID. My wife and one of our three children also contracted it. The other two did not. I spent plenty of time reading during quarantine. I am no medical person but I do believe understanding how the varying tests work, helps people understand how to make decisions for themselves.

The tests available in my area. Rapid Antigen (results in a few minutes), PCR (polymerise chain reaction)(results in a few days). There is also a blood test but is rarely used and really has a different purpose.

Rapid Antigen needs a build up of viral load in your system in order to test positive. It can show positive before symptoms but typically is not considered highly accurate until you have had symptoms for a couple days. It rarely produces a false positive because it needs a good viral load to detect, but does produce false negatives because its often used before the person has had time to build up a viral load large enough for detection.

PCR can detect much smaller amounts of the virus. It can produce false positives but rarely a false negative. It detects false positives because there can be remnants of the virus when the person is no longer contagious. It also does a much better job of detecting the virus before symptoms start.

My symptoms and my sons were mild, like allergy type symptom mild. Two -three days and we were normal. My wife was moderate and was prescribed a steroid when she woke up with a bad cough one morning. Took her a week to get back to normal.

Our sorry politicians, I dont care what party they lie for, have weaponized this disease making reliable information difficult. So if I am wrong, stay calm and explain a different way.

Tight lines gentlemen, ladies and whatever else is appropriate these days.

Upvote 0