titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
I have to laugh because this idea of chloroquine as a potential cure is awesome and just reminds me of what Steve K and I always said when we did the long range trips together and always had a very healthy supply of Gin and Tonic with limes
This is what I would always tell people on a boat as to why I / we were drinking G&T

" The Gin is from Juniper Berries and has anti inflammatory healing properties and it has been known to kill off just about anything that may do you harm from a germ standpoint...the British Navy ruled the world with this in tow. The tonic water contains quinine which helps fight off Malaria and the Lime is and has been known to fight off scurvy which is a problem for sailors/fisherman at sea....so the drinking of G&T is not only refreshing but has great medicinal benefits as well.....Beefeaters or Bombay Sapphire do just fine thank you"

7. Gin can be used for medicinal purposes
In 1269, the first major mention of juniper-based health-related tonics appeared in a Dutch publication. Ever since, gin has had a history of being used “for medicinal purposes.” The Royal Navy mixed gin with lime cordial to stop scurvy, and angostura settled the stomach at sea. Tonic water with quinine was anti-malarial, giving them a great excuse to drink more gin and tonics.

Just wanted to post this Public Service Message for those that are hoping to hop a trip soon....just go prepared and just to settle your stomach.....Bourbon or Crown....neat does the trick in a pinch

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
I too always bring a bottle of Sapphire (or suitable substitute), jar of olives, and a non-breakable shaker on my LR trips. Always felt there was a legitimate health reason. My hat's off to Jim for articulating it!

Upvote 0

LEGALWISE

Almost A Member
Nov 17, 2011
VALENCIA,CA
Name
DON KLAHS
Boat
INDEPENDANCE
Hmmmm, I am a high risk category person as far as pre existing conditions. Have 5 long range trips paid for this year. Yes I do have trip insurance however there is a pandemic exclusion in very policy I have seen. I do not plan to cancel any trips, I guess a possibility of an extra 14 day quarantine of fishing may be a problem we all may be forced to live with! We all hope for the best possible outcome. Let’s ALL BE GOOD TO EACH OTHER! We are the strongest in every way I know, so carry on. Enjoy each and every day and fish as much as possible. We all have a finite time to enjoy life, make the best of it!
You are in a high risk category and you guess that a 14 day quarantine is something you may have to “live” with? What about death? You ok with that? All just to catch some fish?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Costa Rica has 172 confirmed cases. Higher altitudes with colder and dryer weather with dense populations. Rapid increase in 1 week. The borders are closed. Citizens and residents may fly in with a mandatory 14 day quarantine

Its about 40 miles from me now

We thrive on visitors. I doubt the borders will open until the cases decrease

If the cases continue to increase. I do not think the borders will open!

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Let's talk about viruses......we haven't even found a cure for the common cold.....AIDS is still killing thousands of people a year the "flu" kills tens of thousands of people every year even though we have a vaccine every year but it mutates so quickly it usually only 30% effective....this covin19 virus is here to stay....it may be suppressed like the flu during the summer months but you can be sure it will be back next year and the year after that.....most experts in the field of infectious medicine say that 70% to 80% of us will eventually get this virus most of us will survive and lots won't even know we are infected.....there is no magic bullet no 100% cure or vaccine for this virus.... what the country is trying to do right now is to keep the infection rate to a manageable rate so the hospitals can deal with it......stay safe take care of those around you.....I can honestly say I have never experienced anything close to this where every aspect of life in this country is affected no matter where you live....

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Let's talk about viruses......we haven't even found a cure for the common cold.....AIDS is still killing thousands of people a year the "flu" kills tens of thousands of people every year even though we have a vaccine every year but it mutates so quickly it usually only 30% effective....this covin19 virus is here to stay....it may be suppressed like the flu during the summer months but you can be sure it will be back next year and the year after that.....most experts in the field of infectious medicine say that 70% to 80% of us will eventually get this virus most of us will survive and lots won't even know we are infected.....there is no magic bullet no 100% cure or vaccine for this virus.... what the country is trying to do right now is to keep the infection rate to a manageable rate so the hospitals can deal with it......stay safe take care of those around you.....I can honestly say I have never experienced anything close to this where every aspect of life in this country is affected no matter where you live....
Good points. The Flu virus seems to mutate every year and the experts can only guess as to how it will mutate and provide a vaccine for it. The problem is that the vaccine has to be prepared 6-9 months in advance of the flu season, and if it mutates differently, the vaccine is of little value.

Another point about the flu vaccines. They are not all the same. You can get a flu shot just about any drug store.....CVS, Walgreens, Costco, etc, or your doctor's office. So, this year, I go to my drug store, because is much easier than making an appointment to get one from my doctor. The next regular appointment with my doctor, I show him the paperwork from the flu shot I got. He looks at it and say it's the cheap version........WHAT????

There is not vaccine for the common cold, which is a virus, nor HIV and it's been something like 24 years since the outbreak, so I won't be surprised if they don't find a vaccine soon the this new covid-19.

But it's possible that this new virus will simply disappear next year. Seems unlikely since it has mutated to fit comfortably in the human body.

The SARS aka SARS classic appeared around 2003, caused a pandemic, then disappeared.

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Keep it in perspective...

The 1918 pandemic virus, died out without any vaccination..

I feel confident that this pandemic will follow a similiar pattern..

Wait and see

Jeff.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Good points. The Flu virus seems to mutate every year and the experts can only guess as to how it will mutate and provide a vaccine for it. The problem is that the vaccine has to be prepared 6-9 months in advance of the flu season, and if it mutates differently, the vaccine is of little value.

Another point about the flu vaccines. They are not all the same. You can get a flu shot just about any drug store.....CVS, Walgreens, Costco, etc, or your doctor's office. So, this year, I go to my drug store, because is much easier than making an appointment to get one from my doctor. The next regular appointment with my doctor, I show him the paperwork from the flu shot I got. He looks at it and say it's the cheap version........WHAT????

There is not vaccine for the common cold, which is a virus, nor HIV and it's been something like 24 years since the outbreak, so I won't be surprised if they don't find a vaccine soon the this new covid-19.

But it's possible that this new virus will simply disappear next year. Seems unlikely since it has mutated to fit comfortably in the human body.

The SARS aka SARS classic appeared around 2003, caused a pandemic, then disappeared.

Good points, Cubeye. FYI: Unfortunately the HIV virus has been identified in the US since 1981 (39 years) and many years before that in Africa. It was probably around earlier, but no one new what it was at the time. I suspect the same is true with many other viruses.

I believe the only thing we truly have control over is how we react to any circumstance. Hopefully things get back to somewhat normal in the next 60 days. I have fishing trips planned!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
Keep it in perspective...

The 1918 pandemic virus, died out without any vaccination..

I feel confident that this pandemic will follow a similiar pattern..

Wait and see

Jeff.

The 1918 pandemic killed about 50 people world wide before it finally fizzled out in 2019/2020.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The 1918 pandemic killed about 50 people world wide before it finally fizzled out in 2019/2020.

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
    Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat
    Kayaks
    Then again polio,rabies Ebola and several other viral illnesses can be prevented and eradicated by vaccine. Also with genetic mapping of the virus and molecular modeling these days the vaccine might be very effective. Time will tell. Hope for the best but you know the rest.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    One variable that makes this disease more deadly in addition to impacting all those places we fished as kids and enjoyed free access to for so long is population density. Population growth will be what either kills this planet or sends us to the stars looking for more room. Until we can all agree on a civil way to curb population growth it will be the primary cause for mass casualty events in the future be they war, viral, climate or ecosystem collapse. We are just too successful for our own good.

And yes, I gotta get out fishing soon!

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0