pweber6

Jan 18, 2004
San Jose
Visit site
Name
Paul
Boat
Deckhand
The San Diego Long Range fishing trips will start up in a few months. Like many of you I have my “non-refundable” deposits on several trips. That being said, there are only a few boats that have posted information about what they are doing to mitigate the COVID-19 virus exposure on their boat.

I’ve read some of the other COVID-19 posts on Bloody Decks. Some of you are concerned, and some of you are not. Whether you are in the 60+ year old group or young and healthy, all of us may be at risk when on board a fleet boat. Something to think about:
  • We are 25-30 people coming together with unknown previous contact information.
  • If just one person on board contracts the virus, we will all be exposed to a health risk, and will be quarantined off shore for at least 14 days just like the cruise industry.
  • We will be several days away from U.S. shores with no access to medical help.
  • There are limited medical supplies to mitigate this virus on board.
What can we do as fisherman? Please contact your Long Range Boat office and ask them what they are doing about the COVID-19? What new cleaning procedures are being put in place? Will there be crew and passenger temperature/other screening when boarding and disembarking? Will the COVID-19 refund or credit policy change like many other companies have done in the U.S.? Or any other concern you may individually have.

Encourage the Long Range Boat Owners to post their COVID-19 policies on their website. Also, please add your Post by Boat with any information you have. Let’s make the 2020 Long Range Fishing season a safe and healthy place for all of us.

Last edited:

King Halibut

BigBoy
Sep 11, 2008
Buena Park, Calif
Name
Dave
Boat
none
All valid points Paul.
I also encourage the Landings in San Diego and the owners of the long range fleet be transparent in their plans to fight this emergency .

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
Jason has just sent a preliminary E mail from Excel with more to follow as things develop.

FISHNFRANK

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 24, 2004
Fullerton, CA
Name
Frank
Boat
Cabin
I cannot believe that they’d continue to run trips through this. They’re probably consulting with experts on this right now. Pretty much they’re just cruise ships in miniature. I’ve been on a boat where a number of guys caught the same virus. Three people had flu like symptoms and 6-8 others came down with milder versions, including me. I wasn’t too sick to fish but three of the guys were. If you can imagine Corona virus where those three guys were critical respiratory cases? Norovirus-type viruses have also happened on boats. Basically it’s very close quarters no matter how clean they are.(shared ventilation systems, shared bathrooms)

So I’d bet the focus quickly turns to how to mitigate the economic damage to the fleet.

Last edited:

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
Apr 8, 2006
Blue Marble
Name
Grinner
Boat
A Big One - That Floats
If the San Diego Long Range and local Sports-Fishing fleets, et al - fail to step up and recognize that this contagion (COVID-19) - is an immediate matter of PUBLIC HEALTH - and SAFETY..., at this time in question, they/each... are disregarding intentionally and not managing this known problem and danger.

It's as simply as that.

Hibneth

Jun 27, 2008
San Jose/CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Hewescraft 22 Oceanpro
The Intrepid posted on their web site about the new and improved cleaning procedures, and recommend purchasing trip insurance, which I don't believe is possible unless you do so within a very short window after your initial deposit. Unless the fleet holds its passengers financially harmless during this COVID -19 mess, they won't be getting any more of my business. No amount of cleaning procedures will mitigate the risk of infection if one passenger is contagious, so good luck Intrepid, wrong answer!!!!

lenkar

Len
Dec 16, 2011
Central Point, Oregon, USA
Name
Len
Boat
none
I agree with everything said. I also have deposits on a few trips but am having second thoughts about going unless I see significant changes in the individual boat procedures dealing with this virus. I sure hope they do the right things about deposits that have been put down. Most of the long range fishermen are return customers, therefore I sure hope they see the need to put the customers above money. The should focus on keeping our business!

So far I haven't seen or heard anything from the fleet regarding this issue. That seems strange to me!!!!!!

Reactions: rexor_rn

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Hmmmm, I am a high risk category person as far as pre existing conditions. Have 5 long range trips paid for this year. Yes I do have trip insurance however there is a pandemic exclusion in very policy I have seen. I do not plan to cancel any trips, I guess a possibility of an extra 14 day quarantine of fishing may be a problem we all may be forced to live with! We all hope for the best possible outcome. Let’s ALL BE GOOD TO EACH OTHER! We are the strongest in every way I know, so carry on. Enjoy each and every day and fish as much as possible. We all have a finite time to enjoy life, make the best of it!

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
The San Diego Long Range fishing trips will start up in a few months. Like many of you I have my “non-refundable” deposits on several trips. That being said, there are only a few boats that have posted information about what they are doing to mitigate the COVID-19 virus exposure on their boat.

I’ve read some of the other COVID-19 posts on Bloody Decks. Some of you are concerned, and some of you are not. Whether you are in the 60+ year old group or young and healthy, all of us may be at risk when on board a fleet boat. Something to think about:
  • We are 25-30 people coming together with unknown previous contact information.
  • If just one person on board contracts the virus, we will all be exposed to a health risk, and will be quarantined off shore for at least 14 days just like the cruise industry.
  • We will be several days away from U.S. shores with no access to medical help.
  • There are limited medical supplies to mitigate this virus on board.
What can we do as fisherman? Please contact your Long Range Boat office and ask them what they are doing about the COVID-19? What new cleaning procedures are being put in place? Will there be crew and passenger temperature/other screening when boarding and disembarking? Will the COVID-19 refund or credit policy change like many other companies have done in the U.S.? Or any other concern you may individually have.

Encourage the Long Range Boat Owners to post their COVID-19 policies on their website. Also, please add your Post by Boat with any information you have. Let’s make the 2020 Long Range Fishing season a safe and healthy place for all of us.
I’m so glad you have started this thread Paul. So far so good and hope this will continue with more adults in the room. Unlike the thread on a related issue we started a week ago on the COVID-19‘s impact on our sporfishing industry.

Like the previous comment it seems the SD Fleet are slow to react to this extraordinary situation. While until now they have not issued a single unified statement how are they dealing about. It seems they leave it too the individual boats which in my opinion is lacking. Most business sectors already have issued statement on their response to COVID-19 since last week.

Hopefully we hear from them soon. Tightlines-Rex.

Reactions: woodfish330

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
I read on I believe the Intrepid's facebook page that if someone shows up at the dock looking to board and are showing signs of illness they will be left behind. One reason why they are urging people to purchase trip insurance is so they can be covered if they are turned away. I see in the future a medical screening process prior to boarding. Celebrity cruises prior to shutting down all cruising sent out a letter that all people over 70 must have a letter signed by a doctor that they are in good health. A simple check of body temperature prior to boarding would be a start.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I read on I believe the Intrepid's facebook page that if someone shows up at the dock looking to board and are showing signs of illness they will be left behind. One reason why they are urging people to purchase trip insurance is so they can be covered if they are turned away. I see in the future a medical screening process prior to boarding. Celebrity cruises prior to shutting down all cruising sent out a letter that all people over 70 must have a letter signed by a doctor that they are in good health. A simple check of body temperature prior to boarding would be a start.
For anyone who thinks this is the answer.....Asymptomatic ....google it please..!

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Ain't no way that today you can purchase travel insurance that will cover you for the coronavirus--the insurance companies aren't stupid.

Reactions: Hibneth

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
One thing that I've been pondering is the decision that may come if my boat asks for another payment sometime soon. So far I've paid half. I have no plans to cancel but this thing is hard to predict and I'm not sure that my approved leave request from work will hold up. At a minimum, I hope that they don't ask for another payment for a while.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Shogun has posted up on their facebook site how they plan on handling it. Not sure what they plan on will make a difference though.

Hibneth

Jun 27, 2008
San Jose/CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Hewescraft 22 Oceanpro
Shogun has posted up on their facebook site how they plan on handling it. Not sure what they plan on will make a difference though.
Just like the Intrepid, doesn’t address the issue of an infected person being asymptomatic at the time of boarding then two days into the trip all hell breaks lose. I agree that it won’t make a difference.

pweber6

Jan 18, 2004
San Jose
Visit site
Name
Paul
Boat
Deckhand
I agree with you fishkilr, not everyone who has the virus shows symptoms as in the case of some of the NBA players. It's about the fleet minimizing the COVID-19 risk on their boats so we can make a personal decision based on our own health situation. As of now we've heard very little about this topic coming from the fleet. The fleet should take a lessons learned from the cruise industry.

Also, the fleet offering refunds or credits would go along way to minimize the risk to others on a trip. It would enable a "sick" person to back out of a trip. The last thing we need is to have someone not feeling well going on a trip just to avoid losing their $5-6K.

Last edited:

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Since the county health department just shut down h&m, point loma, and fishermans landing till april it may not matter.

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
Nobody actually knows or understands the full effect of this virus. Now we are seeing younger healthier people getting ill and showing signs of serious, potentially permanent, lung damage. This thing is not just another flu bug.
I hope the boats can stay in business, but there is nothing they can do to guarantee your safety at this time.

Good luck fishing fleet. I hope nobody loses their boat over this.

God bless

Last edited: