I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 14, 2007
Burbank
Name
Alex
Boat
none
anyone fished with this rod?
thinking of the 839T for bass and cudas, whats your opinion of the rod?
too heavy for the bass? i like to bounce my fish over the rail...my crucial rods seem too light for that.
any input will be greatly appreciate it!

thanks
Alex.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
I don't own the 839T but played with it a bit and it's really stout. It feels good for throwing Iron but might be a bit heavy for swimbaits.

Reactions: streetnfish
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
The Raze series is strong as hell. Not sure which model my buddy has but it's 8 ft and rated 2-5 oz or something similar. Kick ass rods for sure.

Upvote 0

SlowSinker

Keep it candid
  • Dec 21, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Bass
    Boat
    None
    That Raze rod should be perfect. As stated above the Raze rods have some balls and I've noticed some of them are very grossly under rated. We have a 909T at the shop I work rated for 3/4-2 oz. and 20-40 but the way it feels and responds, it's easily a full blown jigstick.

Upvote 0

SlowSinker

Keep it candid
  • Dec 21, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Bass
    Boat
    None
    Cousins Rods deserves more recognition ..BadAss and made in SoCal.
    This right here. Rods are a very hard market to break into and there are a lot of big names you're trying to compete against i.e. Phenix, Shimano, Calstar, etc. Cousins has done a very good job with their advertising and they build some pretty killer sticks but they still have some big leaps (lifetime warranty!!!) to make if they want to catch up..

Reactions: jl8088
    Upvote 0

Bigfishhateme

Semper Fi
    Feb 7, 2013
    Land , Air , and Sea
    Name
    Sigmund
    Boat
    "The Sea Monster"
    This right here. Rods are a very hard market to break into and there are a lot of big names you're trying to compete against i.e. Phenix, Shimano, Calstar, etc. Cousins has done a very good job with their advertising and they build some pretty killer sticks but they still have some big leaps (lifetime warranty!!!) to make if they want to catch up..
    "Big leaps to make if they want to catch up". ...Cousins make high quality rods right here in SoCal not over seas ..

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

alex morataya

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 14, 2007
    Burbank
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    none
    I don't own the 839T but played with it a bit and it's really stout. It feels good for throwing Iron but might be a bit heavy for swimbaits.

thanks for then input...might get the lighter one, need something for sandies/calicos with back bone to bounce them over the rail.

Reactions: titos334
    Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    I have the 808HT, it's rated very modestly at 15-25. I like it a lot for everything inshore bass fishing. You shouldn't have any issues with bass, maybe grab the line instead of straight bounce on a sportboat if you get a 7lb+

Upvote 0

warfrik

Aug 14, 2011
    Carson
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25 pursuit tiara
    anyone fished with this rod?
    thinking of the 839T for bass and cudas, whats your opinion of the rod?
    too heavy for the bass? i like to bounce my fish over the rail...my crucial rods seem too light for that.
    any input will be greatly appreciate it!

thanks
    Alex.
    I have a 839 paired with a lexa 400 and use it for throwing iron. No problem bouncing cudas and bass. I like it a lot that i bought another one.

Upvote 0

Grayson

Oct 31, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    26 Shamrock
    A Raze 909T combined with a Lexa 400 with 65 spectra was the killer popper set up this last season. It would cast the smallest Halco popper a mile. Caught YF up to 35lbs with no problem. Most of these were caught on that set up.

xxx.jpg xx.jpg x.jpg

Upvote 0

jl8088

Apr 3, 2014
    Name
    Joaquin
    Boat
    Livingston
    Just picked up the 808HT. 15-25lb. 3/4-1.5 oz lure. We will see... From above the 909 fills freezers up with the quickness.

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    That 839t is a must have bro. I fucked up so many of those 150 spot yellowtail a few summers ago.

Cousins rod is in Huntington Beach and I'm sure Charlie is still doing the tours if you haven't had the chance. It's nice when a company takes the time to walk u thru the factory and explains step one to the the finish product.
    This is where I think cousins stands out. There are a lot of guy that still love their composites and some guys that are die hard graphiters. Cousins has both lines for you.

I'm not too sure if most of u guys know this but Wade (one of the owners) had major ties to gusa,Shikari, and I think seeker. I had some old old shikari blanks and rods that I had forgotten the model # to. I asked Charlie if Wade had time to check em out for me. His reply was no problem. I brought them in and walked into Wades office. He looked up and saw a bunch of green,blue, and red blanks and had a giant smile on his face and said SHIKARIS!!!! He looked at each one for 3 seconds and put a bend in the rods using the ceiling to hold the tip. This man was throwing out model numbers on these blanks like they were still in production. Pretty fucking impressing if u ask me. After seeing how much of a Shikari freak I was, Wade started to show me a lot of the graphite stuff he was working on and wanted to let me know how much characteristics some of his stuff shares with some of Shikari stuff. I'm not saying they are Shikari blanks with a cousin logo on it but what I can say is if Shikari made a 2.0 version of some of their old stuff then this is what it looks like.

I have no ties or sponsorships with cousins. They are down tHe street from my house and I took my time to check em out and gave them a shot. I've never been a glass composite guy but picked up a 80m and 80h. I got em wrapped and tried em out on those clemente tuna with ease! I can honestly say that I understand why guys still love their composites.

So I can say that I'm a big fan of cousins. And to be quite honest with you guys, I'm kinda glad there's not a huge following yet cause then I'll have to pay phenix prices. Lmao.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

singlefintj

Jun 10, 2005
    OB
    Name
    TJ
    Boat
    i wish
    Really happy with my 909T. Really versatile rod, i've yoyo'd with it for YT, Tossed swimbaits and surface irons a mile with my Lexa 400. Visited with the Cousins guys at FH and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful! Love that they are made up the road as well.

Upvote 0

Latest posts