The American Tackle Company

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
I finally made the plunge and after 20 years of rod building I now have a Renzetti lathe. I had a few questions and wanted to see if someone could help. I am trying to decide if this was the right choice or if I should sell and build a more custom set up as a CRB hybrid. I really like the under carriage slide and the build quality of the Renzetti.

1. The thread tension wire placement- I have been trying to set up the tension wire but it either sets below the black pin and the wire drags on the track, but provides tension, or it sits in a position where the it applies no tension when the thread is pulled. I am confused on what the black set pin, below the tension arm screw, is supposed to do All of the pictures I have seen show the wire sticking straight out but when I do that then there is no tension. I bent the wire a bit to set right so hopefully it works.

2. I have been trying to align the motor with the lathe but wanted to check if the belt should be smooth side in contact with the pullies? If I have it the other way the belt flips when the speed picks up. Is there a trick to getting the best alignment? I have been getting a lot of belt twist and odd noises and have tried running on different pulley settings. The small side of the motor and large side of the Chuck seems to be the smoothest (pic attached)

3. I got the big knob for the thread carriage but it seems like I am missing a piece? (pic attached)

4. Since I only have room for one machine any tips on turning cork/hypalon and resin coating with the rod spinning towards me vs away? I always end up catching the razor or sand paper when finishing with spinning the opposite direction. It seems like a lot of people use the renzetti for wrapping and then have a second machine for coating/finishing but it might make more sense for me to build a CRB set up since I am limited on space. I think there is a guy on another board who builds a reostat and includes a direction switch lever.

5. I dont have room for a full 12ft but have the beds, I was thinking about chopping the extra extension down to fit 9.5ft rods, does anyone think this would be an issue?

I really like the function of the machine but trying to figure out my best option.

Thanks
Nick

0131212058a.jpg

0131212058.jpg

0202212318a.jpg

Upvote 0

rodblder

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
where are you located?
I've had a Clemens/Renzetti lath for over 25 yrs with no problems other than replacing the motor(ended up getting high power motor for sanding etc)

Reactions: carnage007
Upvote 0

mikek

Almost A Member
Jul 21, 2009
Florida
Name
Mike
Boat
Scout 162
Here's my tensioner. Thread path: 1-pigtail in front of spool, 2-tensioner, 3-pigtai;l at top of extension bar, 4-over top of blank to wrap. Top pic is relaxed thread, bottom pic is tensioned thread.

Edit: apparently only loaded pic of tensioned thread.
Tension.jpg

Reactions: carnage007
Upvote 0

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
@rodblder I am up in the SFV, used to be based in SD and still have the weave loom I bought from you 15 years ago when you showed me how to use it! I have a 1/10 motor and it has some torque so I have been struggling most with the handle builds and coating/finishing.

@mikek I have my carriage rolling under the track so the tension wire drags on the track, it sits at the same position as yours.

Reactions: rodblder
Upvote 0

mikek

Almost A Member
Jul 21, 2009
Florida
Name
Mike
Boat
Scout 162
I can see that being a problem. Mine's old with the carriage riding on top of the bed.

Could you put a slight bend in the wire to keep it off the bed?

Upvote 0

Hibneth

Jun 27, 2008
San Jose/CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Hewescraft 22 Oceanpro
You tension wire isn mounted correctly. The very end of the tension wire where the wire mounts to the frame (Around the hex bolt) needs to be behind the little black post, (below the hex bolt). That will lock the tension wire in place and make that end of the tension wire act as a spring. Bend it a little if the wire drags on your rail.
I finally made the plunge and after 20 years of rod building I now have a Renzetti lathe. I had a few questions and wanted to see if someone could help. I am trying to decide if this was the right choice or if I should sell and build a more custom set up as a CRB hybrid. I really like the under carriage slide and the build quality of the Renzetti.

1. The thread tension wire placement- I have been trying to set up the tension wire but it either sets below the black pin and the wire drags on the track, but provides tension, or it sits in a position where the it applies no tension when the thread is pulled. I am confused on what the black set pin, below the tension arm screw, is supposed to do All of the pictures I have seen show the wire sticking straight out but when I do that then there is no tension. I bent the wire a bit to set right so hopefully it works.

2. I have been trying to align the motor with the lathe but wanted to check if the belt should be smooth side in contact with the pullies? If I have it the other way the belt flips when the speed picks up. Is there a trick to getting the best alignment? I have been getting a lot of belt twist and odd noises and have tried running on different pulley settings. The small side of the motor and large side of the Chuck seems to be the smoothest (pic attached)

3. I got the big knob for the thread carriage but it seems like I am missing a piece? (pic attached)

4. Since I only have room for one machine any tips on turning cork/hypalon and resin coating with the rod spinning towards me vs away? I always end up catching the razor or sand paper when finishing with spinning the opposite direction. It seems like a lot of people use the renzetti for wrapping and then have a second machine for coating/finishing but it might make more sense for me to build a CRB set up since I am limited on space. I think there is a guy on another board who builds a reostat and includes a direction switch lever.

5. I dont have room for a full 12ft but have the beds, I was thinking about chopping the extra extension down to fit 9.5ft rods, does anyone think this would be an issue?

I really like the function of the machine but trying to figure out my best option.

Thanks
Nick

View attachment 1261267

View attachment 1261268

View attachment 1261269

Thanks
Nick

View attachment 1261267

View attachment 1261268

View attachment 1261269

Upvote 0