yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Our ambitious friends from across the sea are extremely industrious in their efforts to vacuume our wallets. Fake PP is difficult to spot. The only test that may expose the fake is to try and light the end of the line on fire. If it immediately burst into flame then its fake if you have to burn it an inch or so back before it ignites into flame it is genuine.

This has been going on for several year. The link below is informative.

Walt

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/counterfeit_warning.html

Last edited:
Reactions: lkatdpelicanfly
Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
it is common sense for most people that buy from China or unauthorized sources that they are taking a chance. PowerPro is just one of many victims that has to suffer because people willingly accept knock offs or get taken with cheap prices on fleebay or overseas sales. Buy from a reputable dealer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Why buy anything from china..I know it hard not to but if there is a choice buy American...and not just fishing tackle

Upvote 0

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
Does it say Power Pro on the spool? there are many braids that are not name brands on the market. If they say power pro then it is wrong, but if it just says 8 strand braid then it is not counterfeit. The second part is if it is any good.

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
We have had that warning on our website for several years. I know because I suggested it when the counterfeit line showed up on site such as Ebay. They copied the spool, packaging and labels 100%. We made a chance and so did they. It's impossible to keep changing the packaging or labels often enough to stay ahead of them. I have seen some being sold in the US which makes it even harder to know if its fake or not. The best way to get around it is to buy from a local or well known dealer. This way you know the line came from us and not a Chinese counterfeit company.

We have also seen counterfeit G.Loomis rods being sold online. Thankfully they were painted incorrect colors which made it easy to spot. I have also seen some counterfeit Shimano reels on sites like Alibaba. All good reasons to support your local dealer.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Pretty brazen. They could at least call it Pro Power so it would be compatible with the Fall Flat jigs. ;)

Reactions: matta57 and hilltop
Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
Our ambitious friends from across the sea are extremely industrious in their efforts to vacuume our wallets. Fake PP is difficult to spot. The only test that may expose the fake is to try and light the end of the line on fire. If it immediately burst into flame then its fake if you have to burn it an inch or so back before it ignites into flame it is genuine.

Walt

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/counterfeit_warning.html

Thanks for the tip. Recently bought a 500 yard spool of 80...from a US source but will definately give it the burn test. Been seeing a lot of spools sold from vietnam as well but im leary of any braided line coming from any overseas seller on the auction websites.

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
steve K nailed it again! pro power ? haha classic!

Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
We have had that warning on our website for several years. I know because I suggested it when the counterfeit line showed up on site such as Ebay. They copied the spool, packaging and labels 100%. We made a chance and so did they. It's impossible to keep changing the packaging or labels often enough to stay ahead of them. I have seen some being sold in the US which makes it even harder to know if its fake or not. The best way to get around it is to buy from a local or well known dealer. This way you know the line came from us and not a Chinese counterfeit company.

We have also seen counterfeit G.Loomis rods being sold online. Thankfully they were painted incorrect colors which made it easy to spot. I have also seen some counterfeit Shimano reels on sites like Alibaba. All good reasons to support your local dealer.

So is "trying to burn it" test accurate? I bought a couple of them from ebay and they passed the test.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
I couldn't do the china thing but ordered a spool of 40. Coming from New Jersey, Probably via china, Not PP but pic showed Dyneema. I'll try the flame and strength breaking test before I put it on. So cheap it's got to be fake. Ever hear of Cast King? Any word if there stuff is fake? Not who I ordered from

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
I don't know about the burn test. But you can look at the line and see that it isn't Power Pro. The strength isn't anywhere near Power Pro either.

Upvote 0

red49er

Oct 1, 2015
California
Name
Michael
Boat
no
I couldn't do the china thing but ordered a spool of 40. Coming from New Jersey, Probably via china, Not PP but pic showed Dyneema. I'll try the flame and strength breaking test before I put it on. So cheap it's got to be fake. Ever hear of Cast King? Any word if there stuff is fake? Not who I ordered from
i tried their braid and it rotted off my reel in 6 months. the 25lb mono seemed lighter than trilene big game 25lb but it worked fine, just didn't instill much confidence.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha

Walt

I guess the fake stuff is different from the genuine, Chinese made (quality?) product?

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Power Pro is made in the USA. Do a little research before you make an assumption about one of the few remaining companies keeping their production here.
It is worse than that--I did do research---but after going blind looking at all the sites, remembered it wrong--maybe that doesn't happen to you, but it does to me sometimes. This site also fooled me , the packaging says "Power Pro"--and "made in America" YET is actually made in China. The other thing, is that many, many times I have found something is "made in US" and then I am told "yeah, but that site you looked at was 2 years old--TODAY it is made in China".
Putting all that aside, yes it appears you are correct, correction noted. The fraud stuff is out there, same packaging exactly, the dead give away--the only giveaway as far as I can see, is the price. If whoever is doing it, gets smart and only sells it a small amount cheaper, not sure how you could know. But the tester on the video link I sent says it is junk in comparison to the true, American made pp.

Upvote 0

Lorenz89

Sep 17, 2014
Germany
Name
Lorenz
Boat
Lolo
80 lbs fake vs 80 lbs original

Less detailed logo on the fake stuff

Tipping faults or bad english

Other hints:
Uncommon spool sizes (but spool sizes might differ depending on the product and dealers might respool original line from bulk spools to smaller neutral spools), identical barcode/numbers on different diameters, ...

Upvote 0

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I think it's safe that these companies do this overseas and it's almost impossible to catch them or do anything through the correct legal channels because they are overseas. Stick to buying Power Pro at your favorite local retailer an you should never have an issue. Sometimes hunting for deals online doesn't get you anything but a headache.

Upvote 0

MikeKilo

Dec 5, 2012
OC
Name
Mike
Boat
In the works
Wow, i'm glad I couldn't sleep and came across this thread, I was just about to order the best "deal" on ebay but pretty sure its a counterfeit at this point coming from puerto rico.

Upvote 0

Royce c

Dec 15, 2017
Metairie
Name
Royce C Johnson
Boat
Don't have one
Not saying I would buy from China. I've recently found a fishing line made in Wisconsin. Reaction tackle.

Upvote 0