Could The Year Get Any Better!!! It just did 400 pound Blue

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Captfishkiller, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Captfishkiller

Captfishkiller Member

Name:
    Tony Domenico
    Boat:
    36 Jersey "No Worries"
    Short story, Last night Fishdope showed a 5 square mile area of really warm water 12 miles out of Oceanside at a 270 degree heading, My fishing buddy Dale Anderson And I headed straight there in my 36 ft Jersey Sport Fisher "No Worries", lots of life all around. had the jigs out for 15 minutes, right rigger goes off, HOOK UP. Over three hours later 400 Pound blue marlin and two very happy fishermen on board!

Long story
    Left Oceanside at 6:30, got 1/2 scoop of bait. Headed to a warm spot of water 12 miles out at 270 degrees. Right out of the harbor we see a Blue whale, then a Humpback whale doing a full breach. 5 miles out we see dolphins, then bait on the surface, the area was alive and looking really fishy. At 10 miles, we put out two wahoo lures, a couple minutes later one reels goes off, after 30 seconds of excitement we see kelp hung up on the lure, we clear the kelp and proceed on. As we are starting to enter the area of warm water we see a flying fish, I said OK time to put out the marlin lures. One 80 pound rig down the center with a mean joe green running it long, for wahoo or marlin. Two larger 100 pound rigs and bigger marlin lures off the outriggers, one is very large, we always have problems with the out rigger clips holding it since it is a very big marlin jig. All lures out, the big marlin lure pops out of the out rigger clip as always, my friend Dale Anderson is putting the line back in the clip, I take the rod out of the holder to help him get the line, the line rips out of Dales hands, comes tight with the rod still in my hands and the clicker starts going off, we think kelp again! Well a second later we realize FISH ON, I can feel the fish pulling line off, keep in mind we are still cruising at 8 knots, both people on board are in the cockpit.
    We put the rod with the fish back in the holder line still ripping out. I run up the ladder to the fly bridge and throttle back and pop the boat out of gear. We both clear all the other lines as fast as possible. Fish is hooked on the right rod, Tiagra 80 reel with 100 pound spectra, 20 foot top shop of 250 pound Floro. I estimate about 400 to 500 yds of the 800 yds of line on the reel are in the water! Time to fight the fish, Dale mans the rod, I take the controls in the fly bridge, we start backing down and getting line back. I noted the time at 7:25, we had been fishing about 15 minutes when we got the hook up. First hour goes by, well we think at least the fish knows it's hook now, but it is still able to take line out at a rapid rate. We stop let it take a take a couple hundred yards of line off the reel, then we back down and get it back. Fish is consistently headed towards Catalina which we see clearly in the distance. Two hours goes by, a small boats is on a course to cross behind our stern a couple hundred yards out, I am unable to reach them on the radio I try every fishing channel I can think of, no luck now I am worried, he might cut off our big fish!! Boat passes no problem. We see the leader just over two hours, then we see deep color, its a blue marlin I am sure, can't make out the size clearly, plan is to keep it if its 500 pounds or more, and release anything smaller. Fish is still very active, now she is changing direction trying to go beside and under the boat, I spin the boat keeping the line straight off the stern, she goes deep a couple of times, then goes forward under the boat, I put the boat in gear, give it gas and pull ahead, this goes on for over half an hour, she is a little green to try and leader now. keep in mind, with only two of us on board I can't leave the controls to leader the fish. Three hours on the fish pass, well I know its a big fish, and its a blue by how she is acting. Jump down get Dale some water, check the drag on the reel, feels like 30 pounds we set it at. Back to the fly bridge, we see another small boat coming close to us, I radio them and they change direction. Fish has been close to us for awhile now, still changing direction but slowing down and getting tired, at 3 hours and 15 minutes into the fight I know we have to do something so I climb down in to the cockpit ready the flying gaff and the big gaff, get some gloves on. Almost immediately the fish turns and is going 90 degrees to the boat and head towards the front of the boat. Back up the ladder to the controls (by now you can guess I don't have cockpit controls), I spin the boat, go forward get the fish straight behind us, trying not to give her much line. Back down the ladder, I get a hand on the leader smoothly pull on it, she is coming towards the boat, now she is going straight forward under the boat, up the ladder again, give the boat some gas get her straight behind the boat. I am thinking about leaving the boat in gear, auto pilot on and this may help control the fish, I look around and there are boats around us in all directions, so good idea but too dangerous with all our attention on the fish. Scrub that idea! Back down the ladder, get the leader in hand pretty sure I will release the fish, the fish has looked under 500 pounds so far (to my un trained eye). Slowly pulling her to the boat, she is coming now with ease, she is as long as my boat is wide 13.5 feet! Then she rolls on her side and I see the girth of the shoulder area, she is big, bigger then I thought. I have Dale put a hand on the leader I grab flying the gaff and try to stick in her head.. No luck the head on the flying gaff comes off before I get the gaff sunk in, dang it! I grab the regular gaff, sink it in her this time, The rod is now in the holder and I hand the sunken gaff to Dale, I get the flying gaff and stick it in her shoulder. She's tired and not fighting us now. I grab the small gaff and a tail rope, pick up her tail and get the rope around herl! She is ours now! I think she is really close to 500 pounds, close enough I made the decision to kill her. We open the transom door and bring her in head first, she is big and heavy but we are pumped up! We get her in the cockpit and have to turn her 90 degrees to get all of her on board, now her bill is up on one side of the cockpit and her tail is up on the cooler and the other side of the cockpit!! Big blue marlin on board!! hoops and hollers for a few minutes, cold water for all. Its now 11Am and we are done for the day, well done fishing anyway. Still have cell service so I send out a few text messages with photos. I call Kens Custom Reel and tell Ken "bringing in a big one meet us at the scales" in Oceanside.
    Ken weighs the fish at an even 400 pounds! Smaller then I thought but really I have only caught 5 or 6 blues in my life, never had one near my boat. Ken says he thinks this is the first blue ever weighed in Oceanside, and for sure the largest ever weighed there. Largest marlin and fish we have put on my boat!
    Still looking for a wahoo, but a Big Blue Marlin will do!! Now before the slamming starts about killing the fish, I have caught between 40 and 60 marlin in my life time (maybe a few more), I have released almost all of them, I have caught and release bigger blues in other parts of the world, but for Oceanside Ca, my local fishing grounds this is truly a trophy. I could tell you I caught a 400 to 500 pound blue marlin and you might believe me, or I can show the photo! This fish will be eaten 100%. So again I ask "Can this year get any better"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB dale tony and fish best.jpg

BB fish in boat and tony.jpg

BB fish behind boat.jpg

BB fish door.jpg

2. Captfishkiller

Captfishkiller Member

Name:
    Tony Domenico
    Boat:
    36 Jersey "No Worries"
    Last photo should be captioned "Look who's coming to dinner"!

Ctony.clark and furniture 4 me like this.
  3. bajabills

bajabills Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Great work, and a beautiful fish.
    Pics look great!

4. kdrouet

kdrouet Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    M40 Knight and Carver
    Awesome job and enjoy those steaks.

5. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I think that is more than fair--keeping one--as sport fisherman we are always told to throw back--everything--while commercial guys kill everything. There has to be something between taking em all, and letting em all go.
    GOOD CATCH

Ctony.clark likes this.
  6. bloodfart

bloodfart gentleman asshole

san di egg oh (translation: a whale's vagina)
    Name:
    BF
    Boat:
    yours
    awesome! It's really such a team effort between fisherman and captain to get one of these!

JACKPOTER likes this.
  7. yo-mama

yo-mama Member

Name:
    ja
    Boat:
    magic
    :D:urno1::notworthy:ele::rockin:sweet

8. yft1979

yft1979 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    -
    Congrats on the marlin!

9. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Great report!! Great eats!

10. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Awesome fish! Big congrats!!!

11. OFN

OFN COB

Name:
    Nat
    Boat:
    Striper 2150, Indie
    Great stuff there. :goldfish: Congrats. :cheers:

12. Marlinman10

Marlinman10 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    18' Glasspar, White Cap
    Nice going!

13. Mstonefish

Mstonefish Captain

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    22' Bayrunner CC 140 Suzuki 4 stroke
    Congratulations, heard you on the radio down on the nine from hookup to landing it. Several more going throughout the day too. Lots of exotics yesterday, Blues, spearfish, wahoo...............fricken awesome year.

14. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Fish of a lifetime. Congrats!

15. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    great report. Felt like I was on the boat with you. Up and down the ladder. LOL

"Cold waters" all around....Cheers.

16. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Wow,just wow! Congrats!

17. califblondee

califblondee Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Boat:
    2005 28 ft Albin TE
    Awesome catch there! I would have kept it too, excellent eating.

18. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Great story. But how about the idiot running off your stern while your fighting a fish of a life time. Wake up people, its a big Ocean, go around and don't be a rubbernecker.

19. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Nothing for anyone to complain about if that beast is eaten! Awesome catch and report!

20. collector21

collector21 Time to fish.

Name:
    Bill Achtenberg
    Boat:
    Sea Jay-Trophy 2002 WA 97 New Merc 150 EFI 4 Stroke/14' Alumacraft
    Great fish,congrats, any plans for cockpit controls?