Costa Rica... Give me your input

TheJRuss

Apr 25, 2011
NE FL
Name
Jason
Boat
the Whaler
What's up fellow slayers. I am greatly interested in setting up a fishing trip to Costa Rica with a few friends/family members. Maybe 8-10 total. I live in FL and am very familiar with Southeast US fishing seasons/species. My question(s) is what time of year is the best to go? What side is the best fishing (Pacific or Caribbean)? I'd like to fish the Pacific side. I'd like to hook my first big Blue. But I want everyone that goes to have fun catching.

Give me all your ideas and experiences and thanks for any input.

Team Karma

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Kyle
Boat
54 Sculley: Karma 3
I would opt to fish the Pacific Side of Costa Rica. The peak fishing season out of the main locales such as Los Suenos, Quepos and Golfito is December-May.

I would recommend you look into fishing Panama if you are thinking about fishing Central America. The prime fishing is only 70 miles south of Costa Rica but it is a world of a difference.

RedAg

Jul 31, 2010
Pearland TX
I would highly recommend you giving John Delacruz a call at Panama Sport Fishing Lodge. It will be a decision you will not regret.

paradiselodge

Feb 6, 2008
Panama
Name
chad marquis
Boat
contender
i too would go with panama over costa rica. fishing is way better down here, not trying to push my place, im sure you would do great at any of the places around here. fishing is better down here.
if you do go to costa rica.. pacific side is better

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
If it has to be Costa Rica, try going to Puerto Jimenez in the Osa Peninsula. If your a Big Shot, stay at www.bosquedelcabo.com. Very Expensive. Full of critters. They offer deep sea fishing close by. If you go, send me a PM and tell me more.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
There is nothing to recommend in Costa Rica over Panama.

Panama has a better fishery by far and a GREAT day in CR is just another day in Panama.

However, the non-fishing side of things is more developed in CR so it depends on your group. If they are in to that sort of thing then ditch them and go fishing in Panama for the trip of a lifetime.

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
There is nothing to recommend in Costa Rica over Panama.

Panama has a better fishery by far and a GREAT day in CR is just another day in Panama.

However, the non-fishing side of things is more developed in CR so it depends on your group. If they are in to that sort of thing then ditch them and go fishing in Panama for the trip of a lifetime.
agreed.....if you want just great fishing it's Panama. If you want all the tourist stuff with some fishing mixed in then I'd say Costa Rica. Golfito and the Oso Peninsula are great.

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
I went to CR, Los Suinios. The place is absolutely beautiful and will not disappoint you. I went in May and it rained in the afternoon almost every day. Some days a light shower. Always sunny in the morning. April or earlier IMO. I went for the Roosters which cooperated. See avatar. But like others, Panama is where I would choose and is on my bucket list. I hear Isla Sicas is a great place. My 2 cents.

Jay Warner

Oct 18, 2007
SC
Name
Jay
Boat
24 Triton LTS
I would consider Panama over CR. If you do choose CR, Los Suenos is the place to base from. Check out FishPanamaToday.com you won't be disappointed.

CaptGeneKelly

Oct 2, 2010
Montauk NY USA
www.tropicalfishing.com
Name
Capt Gene Kelly
Boat
PIPER
You have to think about whether it is a strictly fishing trip or a vacation for the family with some fishing. Generally fishing is better in Panama than Costa Rica, but if some mebers of the family are not going to be fishing, it's not the place to go. Not enough for the non-fishing people.
The Pacific side is the better choice in both cases unless you are interested in tarpon and only fishing.
In Costa Rica, Quepos/Manuel Antonio or Los Suenos/Jaco would be the best choice if you plan on going during the winter months. You would mainly fish for sailfish at both places with occasional marlin, dorado and tuna thrown in, plus the inshore species like roosterfish & snappers, etc.
The fishing in both places is comparable. Los Suenos/Jaco is more American, while Quepos?Manuel Antonio would be a more Costa Rican experience.
For more info about fishing throughout Central America, including Costa Rica and Panama, check out www.tropicalfishing.com

What's up fellow slayers. I am greatly interested in setting up a fishing trip to Costa Rica with a few friends/family members. Maybe 8-10 total. I live in FL and am very familiar with Southeast US fishing seasons/species. My question(s) is what time of year is the best to go? What side is the best fishing (Pacific or Caribbean)? I'd like to fish the Pacific side. I'd like to hook my first big Blue. But I want everyone that goes to have fun catching.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
I will add for completeness that neither Panama or CR are really your top choices for Blue Marlin. Black Marlin are thick in Panama but the generally warmer water temps make Blues somewhat rare.

In terms of when to go: Jan-May are the peak months of the "dry season" and due to our cold winters are when most choose to fish there. Be that as it may, the fishing in Panama is strong year round due to the type of currents it experiences, the wetter months are just as good fishing. About the only months I would think twice about are Oct/Nov for a group as it can be quite rainy then as it is normally the peak of the rainy season. Continuous days of rain are possible from about June-Nov which are usually fine for resting tired bodies from pulling on fish.

If it was me, I would go any chance I got at any time of year they would have me :D.

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
There is a blue marlin fishery in September/October that is proving to be very consistent from the Isla San Jose "Dumping Grounds" to the shelf off Piñas Bay. Check www.cebacobay.com as they will have some of their boats (including the 47' Buddy Davis) down there at that time just for this blue marlin run.

Tony Peña
"The Roving Angler"

Jay Warner

Oct 18, 2007
SC
Name
Jay
Boat
24 Triton LTS
There is plenty to do for the non-fishermen in Panama. For me it was easier than CR. If fishing in or near Chiriqui, I'd say Boquete has a lot to offer for in shore activities.

jimfrogs

Jun 19, 2007
Oakland CA
Name
roach
Boat
sold them all
Nobody has mentioned the world class tarpon fishing up in north eastern Costa Rica. It peaks later in the year when there is some rain but it is great fishing with not much else to do. Otherwise all the comments are good advice.

Willy'Z

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 11, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
27' Fish Nautique

Hey Big Guy,

Go on the Pacific side, in the Chiriqui Gulf. You'll have a great time!

Sep 2, 2011
Gridley, California
Name
Rick Argetsinger
Boat
Got Worms ?
I have been to both Costa Rica and Panama..Costa is nice getting a little pricey but Panama is GREAT and the fishing is awesome. Chad from Paradise posted above and that would be the place I would reccomend. Reasonable rates, great food, all inclusive...but you better bring advil cuz your arms shoulders and legs are gonna hurt...his captains love to put you on the fish and watch you suffer....if you want some pics from our trip email me @ [email protected] I will be happy to share.

seriola_killer

Mar 24, 2008
Hurst, Tx
Name
Jerry
Boat
The Moose Knuckle
I would opt to fish the Pacific Side of Costa Rica. The peak fishing season out of the main locales such as Los Suenos, Quepos and Golfito is December-May.

I would recommend you look into fishing Panama if you are thinking about fishing Central America. The prime fishing is only 70 miles south of Costa Rica but it is a world of a difference.
^^^^ This

dstinger

Feb 18, 2009
San Diego, Ca and Sequim, WA. USA.
Name
Glenn with gas money for albie trips off La Push
Boat
Kayaks, sailboards, rowboats and driftboats
agreed.....if you want just great fishing it's Panama. If you want all the tourist stuff with some fishing mixed in then I'd say Costa Rica. Golfito and the Oso Peninsula are great.
Sherm ...You left out the beautiful Tica hookers.... La Vida es suena... I choose Costa Rica... Meet one of those girls and you can be happy with a bluegill...:boobies::boobies:

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
Fish hard in Panama-R&R in Costa Rica. That's the way it used to be. Now Panama has ALL the tourist attractions you could want as well as the best fishing.

Tony Peña
"The Roving Angler"

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Honestly if you are specifically targeting a Larger Blue go to Panama. But CR vibe is radder

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
To each his own. There are plenty of big blue marlin in Panama. The reason that you hear more about the black marlin is because the standard fishing method down there is trolling live skipjack over shallow reefs and seamounts (Piñas Reef, Hannibal Bank, Aguja Reef, etc.) where more black marlin are likely to be encountered. The blues are better sought using fast-trolled lures in deeper water along the drop-offs.
I've been to Costa Rica over 30 trips and to Panama over 50 so I like both. I just give the edge to Panama.

Tony Peña
"The Roving Angler"

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
If you have some free time next trip to the Southern pacific of CR drop me a line. I have a few places I believe are very special from shore that I'm very excited about.. From shore is so fulfilling and these remote areas are very hard to beach access as you know.

Josh D

Apr 17, 2007
Sunland
Name
Josh
Boat
18' Century
Good to see your still living the life Brad!
Been dreaming of another venture, for now it remains a dream.