jbl_91762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Trying to help a friend decide on a trailer boat vs mooring in DanaPoint or HB/NP/LBC. Boat he is looking at is 10.5 feet beam. I told him just get a 26'w a 9.5' beem so he can trailer. Ideal he wants to moore in DP since its closer to SCI and San Diego. Slips look like they run from $450 to $550 on websites and they do go up from what I read. But other then slip fees, how often does a diver need to clean the hull and costs. And im guessing at least $1 more per gallon of gas filling up at the marina? Thanks for the help.

twotrack

habitual scopolamine abuser
Dec 14, 2011
San Clemente
Name
Scott
Boat
Sin Barco
michael-moore-cnn-3.jpg

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Hull cleaning is $2 per foot. Once a month cleaning typically, or more depending on bare bottom or condition of bottom paint.

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
Hi there. Note that a slip and a mooring are two different animals. Trailerable boats in CA are limited to 8.5' width without special permits etc. so this puts you in the 24'-26' length range and (generally) a single engine. I've contemplated this one a few times & we are still on a trailer.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
A 10'5" beam should not be a hindrance to trailering, get a permit if it make you feel like a law abiding citizen.
Get a diesel powered boat and you are two steps ahead, no slip fees and less expensive fuel.

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Slip rates will vary by marina, size and location. Careful on boat overall length as stored since this is what determines slip size and rates. Allowable LOA overhang will vary by marina so best to check.

By way of example, a 25' Parker Pilothouse with bow pulpit and armstrong bracket with motors tilted up is 34'6". Waiting list for an allowable slip in that size is quiet some time..... Seen a few guys loose their mind as well thinking they only needed a 25' slip.....

Maintenance costs for slipped vessel typically run 2x-3x that of a trailered vessel. This is in relation to bottom cleaning, bottom painting, haul outs for motor services or trailer storage for the DIY guys, property taxes on boat, property taxes on slip (in Dana Point case), electricity, etc.

Remember that outdrive/lower unit maintenance is an out of the water item so plan and budget accordingly. If he has a trailer and plans to store it somewhere, budget for that as well. There are some guys in Dana Point that are pulling their boats every three weeks to service their lower units during tuna season, $$ gets up there quickly (they have trip and quad outboard set ups so they wallet is quiet full to begin with....)

Reactions: Cheech and Ryan_J

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks gents hes looking at a 28 Grady White dual outboards. I believe he is a member here but if not I will get him to look into joining and reading.

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Boston Whaler Challenger 27'
boat ownership just isn't cheap. ask yourself what you value more, the couple grand in your bank account every year or the ability to make even a half day trip super simple and hassle free. for some some, the extra dough in their pocket is the winner, for others it's the ease of use/access to their vessel. i use a slip and love it. at the end of a 12 hr day on the water, i'm grateful to not have to pull the boat, rinse motors, wash down boat and drive however long to get back home. no wrong answer, just what you prefer. hope you find an awesome sled.

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Boston Whaler Challenger 27'
and, as mentioned above, diver needs to come about every 3-4 weeks and, yes, the gas is a lot more expensive at the fuel dock. you may also want to learn which octane you will be needing as most fuel docks only have 87/91. some only have 91 which sucks for the majority of motors that stipulate 89.