Fog Ducker

Huckleberry
Jun 12, 2007
Laguna Niguel
Name
Rick
Boat
Hobie Skif
I was reading the "Rod-to-Reel expense ratio" post and it got me thinking, "how much does the average fish cost ot catch" and/or "what is your most expensive fish"?

Ok, this is going to hurt- add up all of your expenses for the season and divide by the number of fish caught:nutkick:, what is the average cost of each fish?

Or take that offshore excursion for example, add bait, fuel, beer, tackle, food, permits etc and divide by the # of fish caught.

I know we don't fish only for food but I was just wondering, pilots call an afternoon flying the $100 hamburger, how much did that fish taco cost?

Fog Ducker

Huckleberry
Jun 12, 2007
Laguna Niguel
Name
Rick
Boat
Hobie Skif
I know, I go out to dinner for two and it cost $150 and think man thats expensive, take the boat out and it ONLY cost $150 for a couple of fish and thats cheap.

fishnbuddy

Jun 10, 2007
Murrieta
Name
Junior
The money put into the boats vs fish/lobster caught...I'm really on the negative side. I haven't caught any thing legal off any of my boats yet and I'm about to get my 3rd boat for this year. Like Joe said...never do math. I do it all for the experience, if I happen to catch something...well thats a bonus.
...fishnbuddy

reelnexotic

Captain
Jul 11, 2006
Anaheim Hills
www.facebook.com
Name
David
Boat
29' Sea Swirl Striper Twin Diesels:) Reel "N" Exotic
If you do the math your crazy. Just sell your boat, go to your local fish market and buy your fish if you want to think that way. I paid over $500 for 7 albacore this year. When you hear those reels buzz off, and that fin slapping the deck its all worth it. Its the hunt the kill, and good times on the water with freinds and family that makes it price less.

JiGGZ

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Name
Boat
If you do the math your crazy. Just sell your boat, go to your local fish market and buy your fish if you want to think that way. I paid over $500 for 7 albacore this year. When you hear those reels buzz off, and that fin slapping the deck its all worth it. Its the hunt the kill, and good times on the water with freinds and family that makes it price less.
100% Correct!!!! Besides it gets REALLY Complicated. Once I paid $300.00 for ONE Sand Bass but since it was the only fish caught on a full day tuna trip I also won a $275.00 JP ( But I gave it to the crew after Gally tab of $50.00) So how does THAT work. LOL

If I did the math I wouldn't fish AT ALL

But then again ............................ I don't Fish.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
so how much does the "fun" cost? You'd have to deduct that from the overall cost of the trip......in order to accurately calculate the cost of the fish.

I agree......dont ever do the math.

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
What about friends and neighbors (especially the ones you ask to come along, and they turn your offer down)...they think the fish is free since it didn't come from the store....I don't mind sharing when i score a big catch (rarely does that happen), but when i come home with one or two nice fish, at $300 a pound, i really want to be stingy.

Shit, a few years ago, I caught $200-$300 mackerel and bones, but had the trip of life time with my son.....drew this for me while resting in th cuddy.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
We've banned people for bringing this up....

:D

T

Torrance local

First, Start with fresh Batteries (in the Calc),
Second,, Always Check your Math, Have your neighbor check it.
Third,,, Destroy the evidence, before someone Important Sees IT!!!!!!
Fourth,,,, Go fishing and see if you were CORRECT!!!!

Mikey

-.-. --.-
Feb 28, 2003
Torrance, PRK, USSA
Name
Mikey
Boat
NONE :)
Fish????

It's about the beer dammit

sheesh

Duffy

Formerly known as Mac Attack
Aug 16, 2007
Sweden
Name
Nicholous H. Yanopaparopulous
Boat
18 foot skiff
Spending time with my son on the water at dawn, at the South Seal Beach jetty in my boat, catching calicos every third cast - what’s that worth?

:finger:

Jericho

Apr 20, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Rod
Boat
Skipjack 262, 24 Osprey Diesel 4 Sale
It really doesn't cost that much just ask my wife.
She'll tell I got all my rods and reels on sale for 50 bucks or less:D..thats the expensive part. I get all my lures and tackle out of the clearance bin at sports authority and since she doesn't take care of the bills it only takes about $40 in fuel to run all day. Thats my math and i'm sticking to it.