Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Did a little test today just in case I am fortunate enough to not suffer catastrophic engine failure on both engines at the same time.View attachment 970007 View attachment 970008 View attachment 970008
Did you see that in the etec promo video? 2 Stokes have more torque down low. Agreed. Try it on the ocean loaded with swell and wind waves. I’m sure you could pull a 4stroke under backwards and swamp it too. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid and defending your decision with useless pictures. People in the know, know better.

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Decided to throw caution to the wind and headed out in calm seas. Sea Tow shouldn't take too long to respond should I need them. Will post a report if I catch anything.View attachment 969959
I don't want to alarm you - but from the picture, it looks like you are burning oil.

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
I'm surprised that folks do not get what the guys in the know are saying. A questions was asked and you have some guys that run the shit out of the engines giving good advice. I'm sure that @Walker Inc. and @Salmonater put more hours on their engines in 10-12 days of running then I did when running a boat for a season. I would average about 100+- hours on the mains a season. A lot more on the troll. These guys run them to get to the grounds and troll all day if needed. I would not hesitate to take their advice to the bank!

Next boat will have Yamaha's, Zuke's or possibly Honda good luck with your decision.

Patrick will be getting a call for in put at that time.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
I'm surprised that folks do not get what the guys in the know are saying. A questions was asked and you have some guys that run the shit out of the engines giving good advice. I'm sure that @Walker Inc. and @Salmonater put more hours on their engines in 10-12 days of running then I did when running a boat for a season. I would average about 100+- hours on the mains a season. A lot more on the troll. These guys run them to get to the grounds and troll all day if needed. I would not hesitate to take their advice to the bank!

Next boat will have Yamaha's, Zuke's or possibly Honda good luck with your decision.

Agreed. I put 1000 trouble free hours on an etec 150 and liked the torque but if I needed a bigger hp engine (250+) and I was planning on putting 2k+ hours on it I would probably go Yamaha or Suzuki and would take the advice of those (like Pat) in the know.
Of course I have a force 120 still running on a ski boat at our cabin so maybe two stroke engines just work for me.

Reactions: FVSerenity

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boats n hoes

Motors want to be ran everyday, so, of course someone running a charter is going to have different results than just a casual boater. People would prefer to hear about results from similar situations. Have to compare apples to apples.

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
Motors want to be ran everyday, so, of course someone running a charter is going to have different results than just a casual boater. People would prefer to hear about results from similar situations. Have to compare apples to apples.
I agree with your statement. But at the same time I would still lean towards Yamaha. The fact is every 150 Yamaha I had I never had an issue. Run them 100+- hours a year put them away change oil and filters at the beginning of the season and they ran with no issues. The biggest problem I think a guy will run into is trolling at a slow speed with the large engines. They need to be ran at a high rpms. This is from the service department @ three rivers.

Last edited:

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
I agree with your statement. But at the same time I would still lean towards Yamaha. The fact is every 150 Yamaha I had I never had an issue. Run them 100+- hours a year put them away change oil and filters at the beginning of the season and they ran with no issues. The biggest problem I think a guy will run into id trolling at a slow speed with the large engines. They need to be ran at a high rpms. This is from the service department @ three rivers.
Agree - also using yamaha ring-free is helpful as well.

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Just returned from a few days in Florida visiting a friend. While there I bought a very pretty white 2018 Suzuki DF300AP with digital controls, switches, troll control, digital gauges, ss prop, Gimme Six warranty, 5.9% Suzuki financing. Everything necessary to install and synced so it is plug and play when it gets here. Delivered to my bro's shop in OC for $20,500. Got the shipping info from the freight company today. Sweet! Get that damned Evinrude off my boat!

jonnyboy852

Jul 3, 2009
Seattle
Name
Jon
Boat
282 Sailfish GW
I have a Tohatsu/ Honda on my Grady I've had it on there for almost 3 years. I have about 500 hours on it, I did have one problem with the hydraulic ram leaking but was fixed under warranty. No coils have gone out yet, I can cruise for my boat at 4500 RPM 28mph and burn 10 gallons a hour. It's pretty cool when I get up to cruising speed I can watch the gallons per hour drop when the lean burn kicks in.

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
While in Florida I saw a local dealership advertising new 2018 Tohatsu 250 (Honda 250 rebadged) installed for $14,500. Everything included. This was my first trip to Florida in thirty years. I was amazed at the number of boats, dealerships, and the cheaper prices on everything boating related.

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Name
Doug
Boat
Couldn’t get used to the taste of Etec koolaide??
I want to love the etecs but my negative experiences with failed EMMs soured me on them. I do a lot of boating in Mexico with no one on the water for miles around me. Can't have that happen down there. Search the boards and there are still lots of reports of recent etecs with bad EMMs.

Reactions: Ugly Bayliner

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
Just returned from a few days in Florida visiting a friend. While there I bought a very pretty white 2018 Suzuki DF300AP with digital controls, switches, troll control, digital gauges, ss prop, Gimme Six warranty, 5.9% Suzuki financing. Everything necessary to install and synced so it is plug and play when it gets here. Delivered to my bro's shop in OC for $20,500. Got the shipping info from the freight company today. Sweet! Get that damned Evinrude off my boat!
Hey Doug do you have a dealers name or number you want to share?

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Forgive my ignorance but... What does "EMM's" mean?

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
Verado line is moving to normally aspirated so it’s going to be just the lower end that’s “verado”.

Merc also changed out the non verado line and will be producing a V8 300 hp.

Early reports are they got them right this time. They Based the non verado line on the very successful redesign of the 150 four stroke. It’s been out almost 10 years and you’d be hard pressed to find issues with that 150 4 stroke.

With that said, to many changes in one year for me so my new motor will be a Suzuki 300.

All brands have had their share of issues and successes. Folks just tend to overlook the issues their brand has had.

Reactions: FishPimpII and Siv

SeattleD

Jan 13, 2017
Seattle
Name
Jon
Boat
Whaler
What’s people’s impression of the new Mercs? Specifically the V6 225 or V8 250. NOT verado. Looking at a boat in BC from a merc dealer and can get a decent deal on 2021 repower with Canadian dollar. The new line has been out a couple years now.

Verado line is moving to normally aspirated so it’s going to be just the lower end that’s “verado”.

Merc also changed out the non verado line and will be producing a V8 300 hp.

Early reports are they got them right this time. They Based the non verado line on the very successful redesign of the 150 four stroke. It’s been out almost 10 years and you’d be hard pressed to find issues with that 150 4 stroke.

With that said, to many changes in one year for me so my new motor will be a Suzuki 300.

All brands have had their share of issues and successes. Folks just tend to overlook the issues their brand has had.

Last edited:

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Tom Keizer is selling his pair of ETecs. They’re 200’s and I believe he’s asking $28k? with all rigging. But they’re E-Tecs.