Corvina or White Sea Bass

PENN

aaron mobley

May 29, 2014
Name
Aaron
Boat
16 ft skiff
Got this guy today, and im pretty sure it was a corvina since there were no bars on him, but either way he was released. He ate an orange and brown 5" big hammer as did some small bass and a little halibut.
I bought the curado ej and the shimano convergence rod this morning and it is REALLY NICE. Glad i spent the money. I recomend at least that reel to anybody looking for a baitcaster.
So is this a wsb or a corvina?

image.jpg

Reactions: m_mcgourty
Upvote 0

WhyMe

It’s not a fish til it hits the deck.
May 12, 2009
San Bernardino California
Name
Jason
Boat
Mako CC
Don't corvina have distinct teeth (almost Like fangs?)

I remember catching them in the Salton Sea and as a kid I would be in awe at the front teeth on both the upper and bottom lips. If I remember correctly they were "orange lip corvina"

Upvote 0

El Taco

Almost A Member
May 11, 2014
Name
Gabriel
Boat
Almost
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that is a short fin corvina, that's what I was told at least.
Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-30-08.png

Upvote 0

aaron mobley

May 29, 2014
Name
Aaron
Boat
16 ft skiff
Dont know if any of you guys have fished in florida, but thats where i live in the winter and we catch seatrout that look exactly like those corvina, except theyhave spots on the sides and a green back. They have the same teeth, fins, orange mouth, etc... Im thinking they are somehow related

Upvote 0

Dick Getsinya

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2014
Name
Dick Getsinya
Boat
yes
Got this guy today, and im pretty sure it was a corvina since there were no bars on him, but either way he was released. He ate an orange and brown 5" big hammer as did some small bass and a little halibut.
I bought the curado ej and the shimano convergence rod this morning and it is REALLY NICE. Glad i spent the money. I recomend at least that reel to anybody looking for a baitcaster.
So is this a wsb or a corvina?

View attachment 528210
Look at the seam/zipper on the belly= WSB Corvina have fangs and orange in their mouth.

Upvote 0

ckyevanjay

Feb 4, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Name
Evan
Boat
float tube
qabymygy.jpg

this is a corvina out of the sea of Cortez.

Upvote 0

matt grant

Skipper
Feb 22, 2011
Signal hill Ca
Name
Matt Grant
Boat
20’ Wellcraft “One Day Late”
Its 100% a juvenile wsb. I had the pleasure raising a few in an aquarium earlier in the year. They have chromatophores, which allow them to change their skin tone to have really dark stripes and sometimes none at all. It also has the tell tell purple shadowing above its eyes.

Upvote 0

EntropyFletch

Jun 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
1990 Mako 171
Nope. It's a corvina. They have two large fang like teeth in their upper jaw and an orange color inside their mouth. It can be kinda hard to tell but the fangs are a dead give away.

Upvote 0

EntropyFletch

Jun 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
1990 Mako 171
Actually looking at the pic again you can't see inside the mouth. COuld be a juvie WSB. In any event...the fangs are the real decider...

Upvote 0

aaron mobley

May 29, 2014
Name
Aaron
Boat
16 ft skiff
Do wsb have a lot of really small teeth? I dont recall the fish having distinct fangs but it had some teeth

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
Have not caught a corvina, but do they have the zipper on the belly too? Otherwise, I think its a wsb.

Upvote 0