Corvina in the Salton Sea?

K

kmacinty

Corvina in the Salton Sea?, by kmacinty

Question: I was under the assumption that there are no longer corvina in the Salton Sea. Opening weekend of duck season, I caught a small corvina stuck in the shallows around my duck blind. Are they making a comeback? (Robert) Answer: The last time corvina was observed in the Salton Sea was in the spring of … Continue reading Corvina in the Salton Sea?

skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
I fished there and we did well in 1972! I am now 53 and not sure if they are there anymore..

Rod69

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2016
San diego
Name
Roddey Blunt
Boat
Parker 23 DVCC
caught em there in the late 90s last time maybe early 2000s for 3 to 4 years really good then the sea had a huge die off...not sure now

Reactions: marlyn

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Early 2000's was the latest I can remember seeing/hearing one caught out there. I really wish I made the time when they were there. Such a bummer they are gone.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
My first and only trip for corvina one the Salton Sea was 2001. Damn they were a fun fish to catch on swimbaits. They’d rip line so fast it would slice the water similar to wahoo runs. The sad part was the end was apparent as you drove through miles of floating dead corvina to get to the productive areas.

Reactions: makairaa and Rod69

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
used to go there when I was a kid... hated it... hottest place Ive ever been in my life. Just saw an article saying theres only a small population of Mutant Tilapia left... high heat, high salinity, and poor water quality killed everything else over the years...

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
The Tilapia that are left are smaller than they used to be and look very sick.What we caught a year or so ago was so lethargic and sickly looking i doubt they'll last much longer.They wouldn't even squirm or wiggle as you held them.From what i saw i wouldn't dare eat those things.

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
I heard from a local that there are still a few Corvina around, but only in areas where fresh water flows into the sea. It's hot, dusty, and it stinks but the Salton sea is one of my favorite places around. I was thinking of making a catfish run this weekend, I gotta wet a line soon and that seems like the perfect place to stay secluded.

Reactions: catalin

Rod69

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2016
San diego
Name
Roddey Blunt
Boat
Parker 23 DVCC
Early 2000's was the latest I can remember seeing/hearing one caught out there. I really wish I made the time when they were there. Such a bummer they are gone.
They were so much fun....bass rods and burned up drags

Reactions: calicopro