cortez bank question

Dexter Outdoors

young gun 50

Aug 4, 2014
Name
Adam Robere
Boat
15ft skiff
First of all whats up guys im Adam and ive been lurking on here for awhile but this is my first post. so out at the cortez bank how long of a ride is it at say 20 knots? Also is there a 3 foot spot somewhere their? sorry if its a dumb question just confused :D. hope i get to know you guys and tight lines!!:rockin::rockin:

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
It is 100 miles offshore from LA harbor, and bishop rock is the dangerous high point... I don't know much, do not own a boat, have fished there once on a sportboat... But these I know to be true... And, the weather can get REALLY bad out there, world record for biggest wave was also there.. google it! And good luck should you decide to go! :)
-Aren

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Big_Mike199

Jul 22, 2014
Name
Mike
Boat
The Trophy Pro
More important than how long it will take, begin by considering whether your vessel is adequate (starting with range), and whether you have the appropriate experience. But good luck, be safe and have fun!
Agreed with adequate vessel. Going out on boats that aren't truly sea worthy is how people go missing. Tails up:cheers:

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
YES how far depends on from where? The depth of the high spot varies with tide and swell.
After a now retired Capt. ran an aircraft carrier aground there many years ago, there's a bouy
there close to high spot. It's pretty easy to spot the high spot, especially in winter as big waves
rise then fall back into the ocean. Fished there many times. The tuna are beyond/behind the
Cortez or around it where you find them on meter marks, jig strikes, diving birds, porpoise
schools wherever. LOL Bluefin tend to be in deeper water than yellowfin. We're off for there
tomorrow night. I'm told it's about 140mi from San Diego so at 10kts about 14 hrs. Other
harbors depends on your cruising speed, head swell etc to see if your boat can reach it and back.

Check the fish regs if you go. If you have ANY rockfish on your boat, and can
only fish and keep in 120ft or less, you can't go fish tuna in deeper water after! The
other way around tuna first then rockfish may be ok, but don't quote me =too nuts!
Check the DFG site for the real regs and restrictions. Prepare for insanity! LOL
We're going tuna and yellowtail fishing. The rockfish can rock on. HA!

I don't see the bouy in this pic, but you can see a sport/dive boat to left of surfing area and wave. FYI

Cortez.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Fished there many times when it was breaking 15-20 feet, anchored appx 100yds away in
flat calm water. Swells are common there and the Tanner. At 14 second intervals it's not
that big a deal on bigger tuna boats. No worse than we've had on long range trips
sometimes, or even off Punta Colonett or San Martin south.
IF the wind is up too, that shortens the gap and gets knarley. FYI
Like I said above, you can SEE the high spot area just from the waves.
Scott had Condor out there a couple years ago with film crew shooting
big wave pics from nearby in flat water. Dive boats take surfers out there.
It's pretty strange when there and BIG. Enjoy this one. How big? You decide.
Pics no prob, I'll be out around there all day Wednesday. LOL

Cortez 2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Yep all good info!! I m a 100 ton captain. Sport boat lic. I recommend knowing your boats range in flat conditions!!?? And I would recommend nothing short of 350-400 miles to go their depending on where you go from like Point Loma 138 miles to high spot. La harbor light 106 miles. Etc. then and only then if your new to boating. Forget it and start with s Island trip Catalina or Coronado from closest harbor. Then if your confident. Find a buddy boat on here to travel across with!!! GPS and meter a must then plotter and radar highly recommended!! Then we get to the absolute MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!! THE WEATHER!!!! It is everything. Can make a great day!! Or could cost you and all on board your lives!!!! That all said and your ready!! The great news!! Is there are always snapping fish from Rockies in season 120 feet or less until 12-31 then closed till 2-28!!! But tuna and yellowtail all over. And big units on the BFT. So fun!!! Be on Condor Tue nite. Come and enjoy!! Good luck!!

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Good info so far. I would add that you should figure your fuel range in bad weather. Don't be mislead by the long stretch of good weather we have been having this fall. It is a long run back to the nearest shelter if the weather comes up when your out there and if you head to SCI your beam to the weather. Never a bad choice to turn the boat around if the weather starts building on your way out - it will not get better and can build quickly for a 'small' boat.

Upvote 0

yknot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2007
Garden Grove
Name
Grady
Boat
None
Good stuff guys. sounds like a crazy ass place!
It's the ocean, you can face similar, but not as large conditions on the back side of Catalina or San Clemente. The main difference is that both those places offer shelter with in a fairly close proximity to where you may be. Out at the offshore banks, you have a ways to go to find some, and there's no smooth way there. I've been wanting to take my boat there, but been fighting issues here and there with the boat, so not happening anytime soon. I don't mind breaking down at Catalina waiting for a tow, no interest in breaking down out there. Honestly, since I have a singe I/O motor, I would feel much better if I had a kicker motor if I make that trip. A drift sock on board would be a good idea too incase you were to break down. There are plenty of posts with what items you should carry if you need help with that. Safety first.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Thinking about a trip too!

Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
We saw one guy in a sixteen foot aluminum boat at the 43 one morning, couldn't believe our eyes.:eek:

Cortez is no place for a 15 foot skiff if that's what your considering or asking.

Upvote 0

halfdayhank

RECYCLED BEER CAN'S
Oct 18, 2006
silverado canyon ca.
Name
HENRY
Boat
bayrunner cc 19 "TIN CAN"
We saw one guy in a sixteen foot aluminum boat at the 43 one morning, couldn't believe our eyes.:eek:

Cortez is no place for a 15 foot skiff if that's what your considering or asking.

naw it's not 16' it's 19'

Reactions: KnotyBuoyz
Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Yep all good info!! I m a 100 ton captain. Sport boat lic. I recommend knowing your boats range in flat conditions!!?? And I would recommend nothing short of 350-400 miles to go their depending on where you go from like Point Loma 138 miles to high spot. La harbor light 106 miles. Etc. then and only then if your new to boating. Forget it and start with s Island trip Catalina or Coronado from closest harbor. Then if your confident. Find a buddy boat on here to travel across with!!! GPS and meter a must then plotter and radar highly recommended!! Then we get to the absolute MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!! THE WEATHER!!!! It is everything. Can make a great day!! Or could cost you and all on board your lives!!!! That all said and your ready!! The great news!! Is there are always snapping fish from Rockies in season 120 feet or less until 12-31 then closed till 2-28!!! But tuna and yellowtail all over. And big units on the BFT. So fun!!! Be on Condor Tue nite. Come and enjoy!! Good luck!!

I agree except I would argue that the plotter and radar should be a must as well and not just recommended for that trip.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
The LR boats were there this year when the Hurricanes kept them fishing in US waters. In Sept it was too rough on our 5 dayer aboard the AA to go there but Sam was sure foaming at the mouth to give it a go. If you go back and read some of the reports there was some pretty good fishing there for the tuna and broad shouldered yellows.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Fished there many times when it was breaking 15-20 feet, anchored appx 100yds away in
flat calm water. Swells are common there and the Tanner. At 14 second intervals it's not
that big a deal on bigger tuna boats. No worse than we've had on long range trips
sometimes, or even off Punta Colonett or San Martin south.
IF the wind is up too, that shortens the gap and gets knarley. FYI
Like I said above, you can SEE the high spot area just from the waves.
Scott had Condor out there a couple years ago with film crew shooting
big wave pics from nearby in flat water. Dive boats take surfers out there.
It's pretty strange when there and BIG. Enjoy this one. How big? You decide.
Pics no prob, I'll be out around there all day Wednesday. LOL

View attachment 559633

Pacific Quest (home port: Dana Point) and summer out Fisherman's Landing goes to Tanner for charter fishing and surfing... I recently saw a surf video of two surfers that were taken there on the Pacific Quest that were being pulled into giant breaking waves via a jet ski at Tanner (waves were estimated to be in the 65 to 70 foot range)... got to have some serious balls to pull off that surfing venue! I have caught some nice BFT there myself on private and sport boats over the years, the shallow water rock fish fishing for the jumbo size can be off the charts there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Pacific Quest (home port: Dana Point) and summer out Fisherman's Landing goes to Tanner for charter fishing and surfing... I recently saw a surf video of two surfers that were taken there on the Pacific Quest that were being pulled into giant breaking waves via a jet ski at Tanner (waves were estimated to be in the 65 to 70 foot range)... got to have some serious balls to pull off that surfing venue! I have caught some nice BFT there myself on private and sport boats over the years, the shallow water rock fish fishing for the jumbo size can be off the charts there as well.

We were there on Condor with Tornado last Wednesday Dec. 10th, we could see massive waves 20-30ft easily
rising and crashing over the reef. We moved close to the bouy late PM and it was really peaking then. Cool stuff.

Upvote 0