CorrosionX vs. Grease

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by DannyNoonan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Am in the process of taking my reels apart and cleaning them up for early June trip. Mostly Avets with a couple Senators and others here and there.

Routine consists of stripping off the mono tops, taking spools out, cleaning off internals, spindles, clickers, drag stacks, etc... I've been re-lubing most areas with a shot of CorrosionX, spread around with a Q-tip - where previously (from the manufacturer) it seems that pink or green grease was used.

I still use thinner reel lube for the spindle ends/bearings, handle bearing, and external moving parts.

Question is - what do you use for the internals and why? Are C-X and grease equivalent?

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I put oil (Corrosion-X) on things that turn fast (bearings, spool ends, etc.) and grease on things that turn slow (gears) as well as use a light coat f grease on all internal metal parts. You can get by with one grease, Cal's Drag Grease which you can use for drag washers as well as gears.

3. Parker23dvsc

Parker23dvsc Cranky

Name:
    FH
    Boat:
    -
    yamaha marine grease, or omc triple guard- lean to the yamaha stuff

4. BillP

BillP Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    nons
    CX penetrates every little pore, nook, and cranny of the metal surface, where grease can leave tiny voids. Grease lasts longer than CX.

The answer? Use both, hit it with CX first, then the grease.

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    With CorrosionX, I worry that, as a liquid, it will be forever seeping onto the line, my hands, etc. and make my line, bait or lure a powerful fish repellent. I just get the feeling that it's going to be tenacious on whatever it touches and it smells strongly of oil. People are always warning me about my sunscreen, but CX odor is much harder to remove.

Make sense?

6. Yerman

Yerman Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    None
    What he said

7. maxfishon

maxfishon Newbie

Name:
    Raymond
    Boat:
    none
    corrosion x, daiwa blue grease and shimano drag grease, penn blue grease. I use all 4. corroxion x everywhere except drag component areas. Drag grease on the drags, daiwa and penn blue grease on everywhere exept drag component areas. The penn blue stuff is less thick than the daiwa. Where I want grease to be thick I use the shimano first and wheras not as thick the daiwa or penn. Corrosion X nice on spool shaft and wiping inside of reels. You can go as far as tearing everything down, degreasing, saltaway bath, the works. May sound overkill but I definetly now know what's going on inside it as well.