correct cork puppy?

mikeylikes

May 21, 2012
Las Vegas Nv
Name
Michael Le Pore
Boat
no name
Can anyone tell me what would be the correct size cork puppy to mount a Penn Baja Special on a Seeker Black Steel Graphite G6480-8 CT deckhand style rod?

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I match the cork puppy to the rod size since the inserts in it adjust to the reel. For that rod, a 28mm should work best. I either flip or trim the metal inserts to fit best since I don't like when they protrude.

fujirose

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
It also depends on what you may have in the area that you expect to mount your reels. Some rod owners put X-wrap over the original 6480-8CT to build up the reel area. Some owners have re-wrapped the handle with seine cord. With Cork Puppies, the diameter of the rod is more important that the reel you are mounting. If possible (Las Vegas is a reach), I always recommend that you take the rod into the retailer (difficult if it's Charkbait) to get an accurate fitting. You can always guess, since the cork Puppies come in three sizes. They also used to come in colors, but I just checked the Charkbait website, and they only show black and I had to search to find them.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Just measure the diameter of the rod where you plan on putting the reel.

1" = 25.4 mm

I have same rod....with just the CT, 28mm is what you want. I put a section on x-wrap where I mount the reel and the 28mm fits even better.....but, I have long arms and use it for casting so the reel is up more then conventional reel seat location.

Reactions: Grandpa

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I’m pretty sure the 28mm fits the 6480 with a single cork wrap and no shrink. If you have shrink on it as well, move up to the 31mm.

It’s always best to bring the rod with you and try them if you aren’t ordering by mail. There is some variance between manufacturers

Reactions: scfisher

scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
I’m pretty sure the 28mm fits the 6480 with a single cork wrap and no shrink. If you have shrink on it as well, move up to the 31mm.

It’s always best to bring the rod with you and try them if you aren’t ordering by mail. There is some variance between manufacture

Thanks

Big issue i am with orginal clamp set up is that screws dont enough ckearance to fit well around the blank

The butt sectiion is wide in diameter while the reel seet assemply is narrow in away that the screws will rub against the butt section