correct cork puppy?

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by mikeylikes, Apr 27, 2017.

1. mikeylikes

mikeylikes Newbie

Name:
    Michael Le Pore
    Boat:
    no name
    Can anyone tell me what would be the correct size cork puppy to mount a Penn Baja Special on a Seeker Black Steel Graphite G6480-8 CT deckhand style rod?

2. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I match the cork puppy to the rod size since the inserts in it adjust to the reel. For that rod, a 28mm should work best. I either flip or trim the metal inserts to fit best since I don't like when they protrude.

3. fujirose

fujirose Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl
    It also depends on what you may have in the area that you expect to mount your reels. Some rod owners put X-wrap over the original 6480-8CT to build up the reel area. Some owners have re-wrapped the handle with seine cord. With Cork Puppies, the diameter of the rod is more important that the reel you are mounting. If possible (Las Vegas is a reach), I always recommend that you take the rod into the retailer (difficult if it's Charkbait) to get an accurate fitting. You can always guess, since the cork Puppies come in three sizes. They also used to come in colors, but I just checked the Charkbait website, and they only show black and I had to search to find them.

4. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Just measure the diameter of the rod where you plan on putting the reel.

1" = 25.4 mm

I have same rod....with just the CT, 28mm is what you want. I put a section on x-wrap where I mount the reel and the 28mm fits even better.....but, I have long arms and use it for casting so the reel is up more then conventional reel seat location.

Grandpa likes this.