fishpelagic

dan the fisherman
Dec 13, 2009
Los Angelos
Name
dan
Boat
wihich ever one i'm fishing on
i have been talking with a couple of guys at the tackle stores I go to. They say you make very refined reels but that they have corosion issues. Also that they are hard to work with. What do you guys think about these points thanks

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
Excellent questions Dan, and I am sure someone from Accurate will chime in on the corrosion issue.
As for being tough to work on, some have been asking for a hands on seminar and I feel that will also be addressed soon.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
i have been talking with a couple of guys at the tackle stores I go to. They say you make very refined reels but that they have corosion issues.

Also that they are hard to work with. What do you guys think about these points thanks
First off: Any metal reel will have corrosion issues. Dissimilar metals and saltwater creates electrolysis. Accurate chooses to use metals which are the lesser corrosive of all the evils. Supposedly aluminum & stainless are a better combination as opposed to aluminum and brass or steel. that's not to say it's perfect by any means, but electrolysis was indeed considered during the creation of Accurates.

2ndly: The general concept is ~ if you have it in you to purchase reels of this magnitude, they come with pros & cons like everything else in this imperfect world. You need to be ready to accept it all. Good AND not as good. I feel the positives still outweigh the negatives by leaps and bounds. but that's a personal point of view.

Question: When you buy your Ferrari, are you going to squabble about its 13ish MPG gas consumption?

Finally: About them "being hard to work with". Working on these reels are far less complicated than what you may think. i've yet to break some thin Dartainium Drag Disc or shred some delicate fiber washer in an Accurate due to the fact that there aren't any delicate parts like a micro thin Dartanium washer.

Disclamier: Jus' my POV... :Emoticon_Potty_Time

Last edited:
Reactions: ghetto_dad

fishhard1

Accurate Fishing Products
Advertiser
May 5, 2005
Corona, CA.
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Matt Harper
Boat
none....yet.
i have been talking with a couple of guys at the tackle stores I go to. They say you make very refined reels but that they have corosion issues. Also that they are hard to work with. What do you guys think about these points thanks

Like guys are saying, this is a metal reel in a saltwater environment. No getting around the issue of electrolysis. The aluminum is anodized for protection. We use Cal's grease as a barrier for salt on the inside of the reel as well as around areas where stainless steel hardware is meeting the aluminum.

The reels need to be rinsed off with freshwater though. It's a quick process. You're just rinsing the salt off the outside of the reel. You don't want to drive it inside so don't blast it with garden hose. Other than that, you just want to service the reel once a year. There's even a video on our web site under support that shows how to do this. It also shows how easy the reels are to work on as well.

http://www.accuratefishing.com/movies/boss_service.mov

With a little care, the reels will do what you need them to do without issue and you can pass them down to the kids so they can put the hurt to fish as well.

In this disposable, made overseas world, these reels are 100% made and assembled in the USA and built to last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jigstickjeff

Sactotuna

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
As someone who owns 4 ATD's and 2 Bosses, I'd now look with great scepticism with anything that shop(s) tell me in the future.

I do all my own maintenance and have used the website to work thru it, now it's just second nature, no big deal.
The only corrosion issue I've ever had was with the reel clamp studs, no big deal.
The finest heavy tackle reel ever, don't fish cows without it!

yft1979

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
I have had a couple small areas with a little amount of corrosion, but I havent had a reel that didnt corrode. As being hard to work on? They seem just as easy as any other reel I have had. Shimano, daiwa, newell, progear, avet. I have 4 boss's and really like them!

boomboom213

Aug 31, 2006
compton
Name
hpppyo
Boat
whatever

fishhard1

Accurate Fishing Products
Advertiser
May 5, 2005
Corona, CA.
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Matt Harper
Boat
none....yet.
That's the only one for now. We are going to shoot more videos in the future.

There is also a Powerpoint slideshow what may show other details of the service.

All the bearings, except for the anti-reverse, are removable. You can't really service the bearings as far as I know. You can take them out and put a light layer of grease around them as a barrier of protection.

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
I would have to say that whomever you have been talking to is probably not very knowledgeable about Accurate reels. Their assessment is incorrect. Our reels do not have any significant corrosion issues and certainly not any more than any other reel on the market. Reels that get corrosion are reels that aren't properly taken care of. SURE, ACCURATE REELS WILL DEVELOP CORROSION LIKE ANY OTHER REEL WHEN THE USER FAILS TO PROPERLY MAINTAIN THEM AND DOESN'T FOLLOW BASIC POST FISHING MAINTENANCE. As far as hard to work with, I have no clue what that means. I would be glad to discuss this by phone or in person and dispelling any false or misleading information you have been receiving. Feel free to call, email or arrange for a tour of our facility. My name is Al. My email is [email protected]

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
I would have to say that whomever you have been talking to is probably not very knowledgeable about Accurate reels. Their assessment is incorrect. Our reels do not have any significant corrosion issues and certainly not any more than any other reel on the market. Reels that get corrosion are reels that aren't properly taken care of. SURE, ACCURATE REELS WILL DEVELOP CORROSION LIKE ANY OTHER REEL WHEN THE USER FAILS TO PROPERLY MAINTAIN THEM AND DOESN'T FOLLOW BASIC POST FISHING MAINTENANCE. As far as hard to work with, I have no clue what that means. I would be glad to discuss this by phone or in person and dispelling any false or misleading information you have been receiving. Feel free to call, email or arrange for a tour of our facility. My name is Al. My email is [email protected]
Another succumbed to a 2010 post.... :confused:

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
What other movies are in that directory? Im curious to know. It doesn't show you how to remove the bearing or how to service it, if it is serviceable at all.

Thanks
When you get factory reel service at the prices we charge, you can't afford to service our reels yourself. Replacing a couple of bearings can cost you more than our service charge.

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Another succumbed to a 2010 post.... :confused:
Yes I did. I just noticed how disorderly these posts are due to the BD upgrade. I will have to pay closer attention. Thanks for noticing.

pukahd

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
I have had my Boss 500, 600N for about 15 years or so and I'm not the type to baby my reels. Like all my reels, I spray them with water and leave my reels on the rod for the entire season and sometimes leave it on the rod for years. I have had zero corrosion especially normally with my other brand reels right around the stud inserts. I do spray externally this area with Corrosion X.

I do caution you to be very very careful when inserting and screwing down the Alen Head screws. The threads are so fine that it could easily cross thread....once in I pack CALs grease over the holes.

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
When you get factory reel service at the prices we charge, you can't afford to service our reels yourself. Replacing a couple of bearings can cost you more than our service charge.
are you saying that when you service a reel you replace the bearings for free?

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
My one complaint about Accurate reels is that the anti-reverse bearing on the smaller reels (Boss, Fury, etc.) cannot be removed and replaced by the end user; when it goes bad, it requires a trip to Accurate headquarters. Living in Alaska means shipping the reel. I can ship insured priority mail for just a few bucks -- but Accurate only return ships via Fedex or UPS next day which costs almost $50 for a single reel to Alaska! I service all of my reels (as well as many others) but I cannot fix the most common problem I see in most of the reels that come in.

Reactions: Cubeye

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
are you saying that when you service a reel you replace the bearings for free?
With our service package we will replace any bad bearings as part of the service. That doesn't mean you can abuse your reel, never clean it and then expect us to make it like new for $40.00. The service package covers bearings and such that are damaged or otherwise malfunctioning as a result of normal use and proper maintenence.

Reactions: benwah22 and ripped
Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
My one complaint about Accurate reels is that the anti-reverse bearing on the smaller reels (Boss, Fury, etc.) cannot be removed and replaced by the end user; when it goes bad, it requires a trip to Accurate headquarters. Living in Alaska means shipping the reel. I can ship insured priority mail for just a few bucks -- but Accurate only return ships via Fedex or UPS next day which costs almost $50 for a single reel to Alaska! I service all of my reels (as well as many others) but I cannot fix the most common problem I see in most of the reels that come in.
I change mine all the time.
just get a long socket that fits in the handle side.the old reels bearings are smaller than the new ones.
then get a socket that the bearing will fit in 3/4" works well for me.
after you remove all parts and bushings,place the small socket in handle side opening, then put the other socket on the inside of frame large hole on the bearing side. place in a wise making sure the socket hole is centered so when you tighten. the wise the bearing will press out and end up inside the socket.when you press in the new bearings make sure they are in the rite direction. you can do that by using the handle shaft inserted in bearing and making sure witch direction the one way bearing is turning..any questions you can pm me and i will send you my number.

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
With our service package we will replace any bad bearings as part of the service. That doesn't mean you can abuse your reel, never clean it and then expect us to make it like new for $40.00. The service package covers bearings and such that are damaged or otherwise malfunctioning as a result of normal use and proper maintenence.
Thanks Al
I just wanted to clarify that.
i want everyone to know that your customer is first rate. I am the guy that came in with the 30 spinning reel that had the old titanium shaft that the screw backed out of.you went into the back and brought me out a new press fit shaft and all the parts to make it better than it was when new. best part i was not charged a penny for parts and your help.
thank you Steve