Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I am stoked to get out to the Coronados for the first time. Finally got all my paperwork in order and the FMM’s approved for this Saturday.
I have my plan ready and can’t wait to start marking some stones and dropping some lines.
The Mexico limits say 10 total with a 5 species limit. So I have a dumb question. Is a red and a chucklehead the same species? Or are they considered different?
If your out there Saturday hit me up on 72. Vessel name is Grumpy. Launching from SI.
Tight lines amigos

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
no red and chucklehead are different

I was out Sunday and it was WFO....

250 was my best depth

Reactions: Steveo77

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
Keep in mind that the bay bass tournament is this Saturday and Shelter Island is going to be a shit show. Stop by a Asian Market and pick up a big Humbolt Squid for bait. Last much longer on the hook good luck!

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

A greenie with a treble hook in the nose catches Lings on the single dropper loop. When the bait gets bit lower your rod tip allowing the ling to take it. When you can't lower the rod tip anymore. Then pull the bait away from the fish slowly. The ling will then choke up on the bait like a snake reaching the hook. Lower the rod tip down and set the hook

I use 2 squid strips on a live bait. Squid strip, live bait, squid strip. Keeps the live bait from coming off and also the live bait makes the squid strips appear alive. Better grade of fish come off the drift with that meat package buffet

Tupperware, rock salt, humboldt squid strips burried in the rock salt. Leave in the sun with the lid on. Turns into leather. Pin that on after a live bait and your bait isn't coming off easily

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

A greenie with a treble hook in the nose catches Lings on the single dropper loop. When the bait gets bit lower your rod tip allowing the ling to take it. When you can't lower the rod tip anymore. Then pull the bait away from the fish slowly. The ling will then choke up on the bait like a snake reaching the hook. Lower the rod tip down and set the hook

I use 2 squid strips on a live bait. Squid strip, live bait, squid strip. Keeps the live bait from coming off and also the live bait makes the squid strips appear alive. Better grade of fish come off the drift with that meat package buffet

Tupperware, rock salt, humboldt squid strips burried in the rock salt. Leave in the sun with the lid on. Turns into leather. Pin that on after a live bait and your bait isn't coming off easily
@Pjstevko some good tips here for you when you go in the spring ;)

Reactions: Steveo77

CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Bring a whole black squid from an Asian market. They are tougher then all hell and will last multiple angry fish. Their skin is super tough.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Today’s report;
Water temp- 60 average
Bait- freash dead squid and sardines
Depth- mostly 250-300 feet
High tide in the AM
Area- pukey point to the north
Conditions- long period swell, and just enough wind for some good drifts. Averaged 22 MPH on the way there and 30 on the way back

Thanks for the heads up on the tourney John. I launch from Mission Bay and there’s only a few boats at the ramp in the a.m.
Fished North Island first for a mixed bag of Rockies and some good sized reds.
Also picked up 3 small lings and released them to grow more. 12-18” was their size range.
When we close to limits, went to the middle grounds to take a look. Got some decent white fish and a goat.
Left the middle ground after a while to try for some bigger lings, but the wind died down and so did the bite.
Headed back around 3ish. Next trip will be South Island and moving around the back of them.
Only got one pic of the reds. Here you go.

63C434E7-8CEE-4EBB-8EB2-31432DC8F219.png