longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Fished the islands with my good buddy Rick this morning. We grabbed a great scoop of bait and headed towards south island. We got there about 615 and saw what we came for right away. There was a ton of small bluefin up splashing around eating bait.

It took a few schools to figure out what they wanted but after we did it was limit style fishing for them. Nothing big by any means but fun fishing especially for the islands. We were running and gunning on them and throwing a hot bait in the middle of the school if they stayed up and it was instant bites.
    20200818_141058.jpg
    20200818_141218.jpg
    All of our fiah came on 15 and 20lb with a size 4 circle hook. We stayed south of the fleet on our own and that seemed to be the best option for us to get bit. I had ti be in early so after getting our fill on the tuna we hit my red stone for quick limits, even had a school of bluefin blow up by the boat where we were rockfishing.
    20200818_141135.jpg

Super rough ride back up the line but was back by noon. Just fyi the Mexican navy was there and checking. Good luck and stay safe!

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Thanks Cody, that is a great bag of fish, fun to catch and good to eat. Was the water still green or is it clearing up some? Thanks for the report, you killed them as usual, excellent job.

Upvote 0

Deckman

May 29, 2013
    Bonita ca. USA
    Name
    Todd Deckman
    Boat
    21' CC Parker
    Fished the islands with my good buddy Rick this morning. We grabbed a great scoop of bait and headed towards south island. We got there about 615 and saw what we came for right away. There was a ton of small bluefin up splashing around eating bait.

It took a few schools to figure out what they wanted but after we did it was limit style fishing for them. Nothing big by any means but fun fishing especially for the islands. We were running and gunning on them and throwing a hot bait in the middle of the school if they stayed up and it was instant bites.View attachment 1187423View attachment 1187424All of our fiah came on 15 and 20lb with a size 4 circle hook. We stayed south of the fleet on our own and that seemed to be the best option for us to get bit. I had ti be in early so after getting our fill on the tuna we hit my red stone for quick limits, even had a school of bluefin blow up by the boat where we were rockfishing. View attachment 1187433

Super rough ride back up the line but was back by noon. Just fyi the Mexican navy was there and checking. Good luck and stay safe!
    Killin it! Love them island blues!!!

Reactions: longboard85
    Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Thanks Cody, that is a great bag of fish, fun to catch and good to eat. Was the water still green or is it clearing up some? Thanks for the report, you killed them as usual, excellent job.
    Water was clean down south and very clean around the middle grounds, temps were 71 to 73.

Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Nice job again! Wonder what keeps them small inshore schoolies south of the border now. I heard they used to swim into PL kelp. We used to get them good off Todos Santos rocks Ensenada bay in green water some years. Wouldn't it be cool to catch a BFT at La Jolla???

Upvote 0

longboard85

• Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    Nice job again! Wonder what keeps them small inshore schoolies south of the border now. I heard they used to swim into PL kelp. We used to get them good off Todos Santos rocks Ensenada bay in green water some years. Wouldn't it be cool to catch a BFT at La Jolla???
    Well we found schools all the way up to the border on the way back yesterday so it looks like they may be pushing up a little.

Upvote 0