Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
The weather looked perfect yesterday for a boat ride to the Coronado Islands (https://www.windy.com/?33.071,-118.394,8). No wind, chop, swell, etc. Just recently got all the necessary paperwork to fish there. Haven't fished the island in years, instead staying close to home to find the fish in our backyard.

Like the weather site above predicted the seas were perfect for my boat to cruise out there at 30 mph. Just got the 100 hour service on my F150 from WSMS. My ole friend Robby doing the work. When I went in to pay the bill after mooring my boat, I accused Robby of injecting my motor with steroids. The hole shot and WOT improved greatly.

Since I have no WPs at the islands to go to, I just looked around west of the North Is for a fishy spot. Spot lock on it and start putting the reels together for a 300' drop. Catch a few starries and other orange critters in the 1-2 lb range. Then move closer in for a few small reds. I brought out some virgin flat fall lures I purchased recently for tuna and tried them out at 160' to see if rockfish like them. Only caught a few small reds on them. Bored, enough small stuff and no commotion of YT in the area, we head home with a stop at the South 9Mile to limit out. I gave the only big fish we caught that day, a 6 lb red (not in pic) , to the maid who had a fresh made up bed waiting for my afternoon nap and a clean house for the 1st Mate. Priceless!

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

Time to get busy fileting these fish. Caught a bigger batch of rockfish in USA waters 3 days ago. I help keep my senior citizen friends well fed. This batch going to Independence, CA for a women's retreat.

Last edited:

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
The weather looked perfect yesterday for a boat ride to the Coronado Islands (https://www.windy.com/?33.071,-118.394,8). No wind, chop, swell, etc. Just recently got all the necessary paperwork to fish there. Haven't fished the island in years, instead staying close to home to find the fish in our backyard.

Like the weather site above predicted the seas were perfect for my boat to cruise out there at 30 mph. Just got the 100 hour service on my F150 from WSMS. My ole friend Robby doing the work. When I went in to pay the bill after mooring my boat, I accused Robby of injecting my motor with steroids. The hole shot and WOT improved greatly.

Since I have no WPs at the islands to go to, I just looked around west of the North Is for a fishy spot. Spot lock on it and start putting the reels together for a 300' drop. Catch a few starries and other orange critters in the 1-2 lb range. Then move closer in for a few small reds. I brought out some virgin flat fall lures I purchased recently for tuna and tried them out at 160' to see if rockfish like them. Only caught a few small reds on them. Bored, enough small stuff and no commotion of YT in the area, we head home with a stop at the South 9Mile to limit out. I gave the only big fish we caught that day, a 6 lb red (not in pic) , to the maid who had a fresh made up bed waiting for my afternoon nap and a clean house for the 1st Mate. Priceless!

View attachment 1279309

View attachment 1279338
Time to get busy fileting these fish. Caught a bigger batch of rockfish in USA waters 3 days ago. I help keep my senior citizen friends well fed. This batch going to Independence, CA fo
I was recently in Independence CA. Sorry to see the little town no longer has a grocery store. But, they do have a brand new Shoe City. WTF is up with that?

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
San Diego
Name
walter heim
Boat
Bayrunner
Nice mix of fish. I have done well on flat falls for reds. Crank off the bottom and let it hang. You can even put the rod in the holder and they will bite it. No squid necessary. I think the dangling hooks make it look like a red crab. As for blue rockfish, I have caught them out here, but not for a long time. Definitely more common to the north.

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
Is that a blue rockfish? I’ve never seen on and I didn’t think we got them this far south.
Years ago when I fished the Islands many times a year before all the paperwork hassle, there use to be schools of blues just off PUKY point. They were a nuisance and you could catch all you wanted. Then they seemed to disappear. I moved after catching this blue cuz not my favorite eating fish.

Gotta run. First mate out of town for a few days so I'm off now to catch a ling for dinner. Mums the word.

Upvote 0