ryanhead

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Looks like I managed to miss the hot bite by a day again, though we did get a few. Water temp coming out of Point Loma was 67 but was 72 by the time we got to North Island. We saw some foamers in a bait ball of 2" bait at the tip of north island, but they were thrashing like bonito so we fished it for a bit and moved on to the middle grounds which turned out to be really slow. Moved down to the pens and it was slow there but cuda were boiling on small bait all over. Moved down to SKR with several other boats for a few sonar marks but no fish. Water was a degree cooler down there. Ran up the weather side of south island where it was 66 and lifeless. Temp jumped to 72 at the northern tip of south island. A few boats were hooked up among the 50 floating around but it was generally slow. We noticed boats close to structure were hooked up more frequently so we slow trolled around until we found some sonar marks tight to the island and decide to fish that spot hard. Anchored 150' off the island and started chumming and flylining baits and after 30 minutes a foamer explodes 100' back in our chumline. We only hooked one of them but I'd estimate it was one of the 30#s that have been rumored to be around. It broke me off on the rocks a few minutes in, but it was definitely one of the biggest I've ever hooked. Of course the fleet around us took notice and started closing in. I got to witness one of the greatest acts of stupidity I've ever seen on the water: We were pretty tight to the island, 150' off a boiler with the wind pushing us directly into the rocks so that I was a little uncomfortable and constantly checking the GPS to make sure the anchor was holding and made sure to leave the engine running. When the foamer popped up, a Robalo "Lucky Day" decided to try to run into the middle of our foamer by cutting between us and the boiler right where we were casting our baits. We yelled them to stop because they were about to run over our lines and aside from being outrageously inconsiderate, if they got 4 people's spectra wrapped on their prop they'd end up smashed on the rocks in 15 seconds with the way the wind was pushing us. They heard us, stopped for a few seconds and then continued on, running over all of our lines and then parked right off our stern in the middle of our chumline. Of course they caught nothing, killed our chumline and left a minute later. It's a minor miracle that all our baits happened to be swimming down at the time. If anyone knows this guy, please explain to him how reckless (and rude) that was. We waited it out and hooked and landed a few cookie cutter 12 pounders. We reset a little ways away, found another foamer and hooked another bigger model, maybe around 20#s, that broke me off on the structure. Interestingly, the two foamers we saw weren't big swirly boils that I'm accustomed to seeing when yellowtail are feeding. It was a tight ball of violent thrashing, looking much more like tuna or bonito. Even though I lost both bigger models we hooked in the foamers, they had the rhythmic thump of a yellowtail and were pulling significantly harder than the 12#s we caught. Stopped by north island on the way home, found a ridiculous amount of bait and good marks but it seemed like the fish were full and wouldn't bite so we headed for home.

Seems like the location and productive techniques change daily, but I didn't hear of anyone catching on xraps or irons all day. Slow trolling and flylining were definitely the most effective and the fish were generally close to structure. Foamers apparently hold bigger fish if you can manage to find them. The few we saw were up and down pretty quick.

Also, shout out to Huntress sportfishing, which is an awesome and classy operation. We left the spot where we caught a few yellows to wander around for an hour and came back to find Huntress right where we had left and they were hooked up. The captain was very skillfully backing them in close to get bit and then pulling them away from the structure to fight and land the fish. He noticed that we were sitting a ways off hoping to get the spot back and he waved us in, gave us instructions to drift parallel to him and didn't say anything when we anchored on the spot he was drifting (we thought he said he was leaving so we anchored but he ended up making a few more passes). We watched his passengers land 8 fish in 30 minutes while we couldn't get bit, even after unintentionally stealing his spot. He handled his boat very well, put his passengers on a lot of fish, and was unusually considerate toward his fellow fisherman.

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Good of you to put out a six pack boat that treated you fairly. We read about all of the bad incidents. Its a nice change to see positive recognition on a post.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Weekend commando fishing at it's finest. Glad you got some!

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    When the foamer popped up, a Robalo "Lucky Day" decided to try to run into the middle of our foamer by cutting between us and the boiler right where we were casting our baits. We yelled them to stop because they were about to run over our lines and aside from being outrageously inconsiderate. They heard us, stopped for a few seconds and then continued on, running over all of our lines and then parked right off our stern in the middle of our chumline.

Come on people! Seriously?!

Upvote 0