Just a good ole boy.
Jan 26, 2010
So Cal
www.okumafishing.com
Name
John Pawlak
Boat
Coastal Kayak
I turned 60 this week, as much as that sucks it was made easier by my good friend Robert who took me out for a good day of fishin.

The big take away for today: when the bait at the receiver is less than perfect try supplementing it with some fresh caught mackerel. And because ours was on the small size I scaled down to light line, leader and small hook. This resulted in us losing more big fish than we hooked but that’s all part of the game.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    Nice work. I couldn't find the YT, but was fishing the middle grounds with you and all I got was Bonito and cuda. I had a number of macs in my scoop of sardines... should have tried them.

Reactions: slayrider
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Cool video, fun day and fish in the hold. What more can you ask for! Congrats!

Upvote 0

slayrider

Just a good ole boy.
    Jan 26, 2010
    So Cal
    www.okumafishing.com
    Name
    John Pawlak
    Boat
    Coastal Kayak
    I had a number of macs in my scoop of sardines... should have tried them.

Senior Chief, As long as you already had them in the tank, I would recommend giving the macks a try. Our red nosed dines sometimes took off like a shot but after a 15-30 seconds soak they just kind of sank out or when tolled they swam lazily along unlike the mimi-mack who struggled to no end to get free of the hook and line in their nose. It was most noticeable when trolling with them as they constantly make the rod tip bounce.

Reactions: Low N Slow
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I turned 60 this week, as much as that sucks it was made easier by my good friend Robert who took me out for a good day of fishin.

The big take away for today: when the bait at the receiver is less than perfect try supplementing it with some fresh caught mackerel. And because ours was on the small size I scaled down to light line, leader and small hook. This resulted in us losing more big fish than we hooked but that’s all part of the game.

Absolute good stuff, me too would snag some big MACs (suggestion), would not be bouncing fish on deck with trebles of any kind in mush (suggestion), quality fishin', and thoroughly enjoyed the VID!!!

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Thanks Keith, I got my 1 day licence for 12 bucks and pretty much all of the tackle I use from Joey @ Squidco Fishing in San Diego.

It's very cost effective to buy the yearly permit. It is good for a whole year, so unlike the US where you have to buy a new one every January 1... it's good for a year from the date you buy it. And if you occasionally go on charters, as I do, it pays for itself in the $12 price discount for trips into Mexico where they don't have to buy you one because you already have it.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    http://www.sportfishinginmexico.com/

That site tells you everything you need to know. It says 390 Mexican pesos, but when you go to the Banjercito website to pay, it's 500 pesos, which is about $28 bucks. It pisses me off that they now make us pay for this, but if the Mex Navy boards you and you don't have it... good luck. I'm not willing to risk my boat, knowing how they operate.

Upvote 0

landslide

Jan 28, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    skipdick
    http://www.sportfishinginmexico.com/

That site tells you everything you need to know. It says 390 Mexican pesos, but when you go to the Banjercito website to pay, it's 500 pesos, which is about $28 bucks. It pisses me off that they now make us pay for this, but if the Mex Navy boards you and you don't have it... good luck. I'm not willing to risk my boat, knowing how they operate.

The way they operate? Hmm the Mexican Navy has always treated me in a respectful manner. Not sure what you mean by "knowing how they operate". Make sure you have your paperwork in check and its fine nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Grady-White 232 Gulfstream
    The way they operate? Hmm the Mexican Navy has always treated me in a respectful manner. Not sure what you mean by "knowing how they operate". Make sure you have your paperwork in check and its fine nothing to worry about.

Same here, I've been checked twice by the Mex Navy in the past year and on both occasions they were polite and professional. I had all my documents and within about 10 minutes I was back to fishing.

Upvote 0

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Grady-White 232 Gulfstream

Nice work, I was fishing the same area and ended up with 8 yt, all the cuda you wanted and some nice whitefish to end the day. The bait from the receiver was horrible. I usually make my macs around the bait barge.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat

I didn't mean the Mex Navy, per se. They were pretty cool the one time they boarded a charter I was on. I was referring to the stories of corruption by Mexican federales. I did 20 years in the Navy and I was an MA for the last 15 of that 20. I've seen and heard shady stuff. Maybe I was a bit melodramatic...

Reactions: carterantebi
    Upvote 0