Islands Coronados 4/23

PENN
Feb 27, 2019
California
Name
Mateo
Boat
Montauk -> Me shell
Fished the islands Friday 4/23, left SD around 5:45 despite the dismal reports and not great weather last few days, just had to get out. Plan was to trawl rapalas in a few different spots looking for deep water school we might be able to connect a yoyo with. North island was totally lifeless. Transitioned to the middle grounds around 730, and we were marking a few schools of what I think were YT around 60'-90', I'm not great with my fish finder yet so not totally sure what we were marking, but pretty sure it wasn't just bait. Then one time at gun sights we had a huge school under the boat 25-50', no takers on the yo yo however. Then we transitioned to spearfishing my buddy was marking school on the finder then I'd dive down around 50' and hope to see one. Didn't see any yellows in that depth range. There was a thermocline and the visibility dropped from 30+' on the surface to 10' maybe at that depth. Water was 58-60 everywhere we fished. We then trawled around south islands, connected with a calico, then dove all along the lee side of south island collecting sheephead, and shot the biggest calico I've ever shot - about 5lbs. It was 4.1lbs bled and gutted, 20" total length.

One cool discovery is there were a ton of mackerel in amongst the tuna pins. Was bringing them up 3 at a time every drop with the sabiki. I was bummed the yellows didn't show, but wasn't surprised it was a slow day. Hopefully soon! Getting stoked for the season -

Aight, bless you guys, good luck out there.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Saw you out there. I was driving my buddies brand new MT 170. You were also in a Montauk correct? We ended up with a couple nice Lings and a sculpin for the day. Here is my buddy with his very first Ling that we threw back as it was too small.
    I also showed him how to catch Balloons as, IMHO, I am the reigning master. Those smiles!!!

89E1E2BF-02F7-42C6-BA69-A0588FAF295E.jpeg

8D4E901A-9CB8-4423-8112-0D78BEEFE2B2.jpeg

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Saw you out there. I was driving my buddies brand new MT 170. You were also in a Montauk correct? We ended up with a couple nice Lings and a sculpin for the day. Here is my buddy with his very first Ling that we threw back as it was too small.
    I also showed him how to catch Balloons as, IMHO, I am the reigning master. Those smiles!!!

View attachment 1274434

View attachment 1274435
    Balloon wrangling is part of the job discripition I always say! Never stop! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼🤙🏼

Upvote 0
    Feb 27, 2019
    California
    Name
    Mateo
    Boat
    Montauk -> Me shell
    nice work on the balloons - Gotta do it! And congrats to your buddy on the new boat, things are like tanks -- low on comfort (although I hear the newer hulls ride a lot better than the old ones) high on safety and durability and my favorite characteristic - cheeeeaaaaap to operate :)

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0