OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
After my dismal season of looking at fish with an uncanny ability of not hooking them, I jumped on the San Diego with Captain Ryan and crew of Shon, Matt, and Cruz. Top notch crew. I can't say enough about them. This is the best run boat I've been on.

Best fishing yesterday was at North Island from Pukey Point all the way down the lee side to the south end. The big bonies were thick and aggressive on the surface and the yellowtail were down deep. I went 2 for 3 on 20 lb class 'tails, having 1 come unbuttoned at deep color. All my 'tails were hooked on the yoyo close to the bottom. Once I dropped to the bottom, I only reeled about 20 cranks before dropping back down. If I brought the jig up too high, it would be attacked by bones. Size and color of the jig did not matter.

We had one very nice drift mid-day but by the afternoon the fish had scattered. Ryan searched hard to put us on one more school, keeping the boat out late to do so, but unfortunately it didn't happen. But not for lack of trying.

Pics of the day.

IMG_5833.JPG
IMG_5829.JPG
IMG_5835.JPG
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5849.JPG

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I agree, if you have to catch bones, those are nice ones. Thanks for the report, congrats on the YT.

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Each one of those bones had a gill cut and were thrown into the RSW immediately. The meat quality is incredible. Will make some great bonito ceviche and poke. Not quite as good as yellowtail, but it's good stuff when properly handled like it was.

eddiefishtaco

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Cool I have a few vertical jigging knives I want to put to the test. Nice catch

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008