Coronado Yellowtail Surface Fishing

PENN
B

BigPlay

Hopped on the Mission Belle with Captain Steve P behind the wheel and fished the Coronados Friday. Was a light load and I hadn't fished the boat since the new RSW was put in last year.. Fishing was not as wide open as it had been. The day yielded smaller grade YT, Cuda and Bonito being shy. Never seen so many chasers with lock jaw ever. Consistency with the surface iron was rewarded. Caught 4 YT for the day. 3 of those 6-10lb firecrackers and one worth showing. 6'4 dude and Boston Terrier for scale. Boat total on the yellowtail was 31 for 18 anglers. No anchor was ever dropped, typical signature Mission Belle run and gun fish hunting. This boat works insanely hard to get you on the fish. Easily my favorite 3/4 day outfit.

IMG_2074.JPG IMG_2100-1.JPG IMG_5406.JPG

Upvote 0

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Thanks for the report!
You got 4 of 31 caught, not to bad right there. Just wish there were more 15+# caught, I'm sure you feel the same.

Any size/color of iron work better than others?

Taking my son and daughter this Wed on the MB. I agree, it is now my favorite 3/4 day boat. It use to be the SD out of seaforth until last year. They just started loading the boat to above the max to often for my taste.
Glenn

Upvote 0
B

BigPlay

Fore surface iron specifically - I'm a pretty firm believer that swimming/action of the surface iron is 99% of the reason fish bite. Colors were probably introduced to sell more iron. After clearing the shelves at sport chalet and realizing that 75% of the tady 45s i bought didnt swim and didn't get bit - I started paying attention more, I've seen guys with irons with literally no paint left out fish every color being thrown. Its all in how it swims. With that said - O.C.T (One cool tuna) makes jigs that are machined out of aluminum and are all guaranteed to swim. I have been fishing the same jig all season (mint) and have caught everything on it.\

Fish the tady 45 / salas 7X size and make sure its a good swimmer. Be persistent and you'll get bit. If you're fishing bait find a hot swimmer, let it run for awhile and then put your reel in strike - this isnt tuna fishing, that bait will die quicker, but stay in the zone and get bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JIM E
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Good job. I agree that is a great boat.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Hopped on the Mission Belle with Captain Steve P behind the wheel and fished the Coronados Friday. Was a light load and I hadn't fished the boat since the new RSW was put in last year.. Fishing was not as wide open as it had been. The day yielded smaller grade YT, Cuda and Bonito being shy. Never seen so many chasers with lock jaw ever. Consistency with the surface iron was rewarded. Caught 4 YT for the day. 3 of those 6-10lb firecrackers and one worth showing. 6'4 dude and Boston Terrier for scale. Boat total on the yellowtail was 31 for 18 anglers. No anchor was ever dropped, typical signature Mission Belle run and gun fish hunting. This boat works insanely hard to get you on the fish. Easily my favorite 3/4 day outfit.

View attachment 851369 View attachment 851370 View attachment 851371

Your meal looks delicious! This also means great PICS!

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Looks like your furbabies enjoy fresh fish as much as mine do..!!! You will never see more well behaved dogs in your life once they smell the fish...!! :)

Reactions: BigPlay
Upvote 0