"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Hi All,

Assuming that all boaters have the appropriate paperwork and permits to fish the Coronado Islands (and we all know you all do), how often or likely does the Mexican Navy come check the boats?

I'm asking because I've never fished the islands before, so I want to make sure I have all the right paperwork and want to avoid mini-heart attacks if I see their Navy approaching my vessel.

Assume this is on a busy weekend. Are they out there actively checking each boat?

Thanks.

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Yeah sometimes! It’s not worth the risk! I have been checked a few times and if you have your shit together it’s no big deal! I use Discover Baja in University city here in San Diego and they get me all the paperwork! It’s definitely worth the $40 a year membership! They have the direct line and the know how to get all the permits and proper paperwork!

E30B8E33-300F-4490-B98F-A6F4FBB6E318.png

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Yeah sometimes! It’s not worth the risk! I have been checked a few times and if you have your shit together it’s no big deal! I use Discover Baja in University city here in San Diego and they get me all the paperwork! It’s definitely worth the $40 a year membership! They have the direct line and the know how to get all the permits and proper paperwork!

View attachment 1046828
Thanks Doug!

You gave me good advice about Discover Baja so I'm definitely using them. Just wanted to see the likelihood of being checked as, like most people, I don't think it's fun to get pulled over.

Reactions: repo805 and sueno

Sdchronix

Alpine Beer Fishing Team
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
I was captaining the boat so I had to stay alert lol. I still put the most on the boat :beerbang:

Reactions: carterantebi

sspringer

tidal dependant
Dec 3, 2006
Phoenix, Az
Name
Scott Springer
Boat
23 sea swirl striper
Does anyone know if kids 11 and under need passports or will a birth certificate work?

oniedab

Fishing is there anything else?
Jul 17, 2009
visalia/ca/Tulare
Name
mike hagans
Boat
28ft Grady White Sailfish
I have never been checked in all the years I have fished the Islands, but I also have all the paper work needed each time. This year there is another fee for some Sanctuary for the Islands.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
My boat is 15', (not including motor), are there paperwork exceptions for boats 15 and smaller?

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
why even think about going there, knowing the regs, without the proper paperwork?

Do you really want to be looking over your shoulder all day.........that would kind of ruin it for me.

......that being said, with all the pressure there, the likelihood of getting checked would be minimal.............however, if you are the chosen one, do you want to risk the consequences of not being in compliance?

.................just sayin. :D

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
why even think about going there, knowing the regs, without the proper paperwork?

Do you really want to be looking over your shoulder all day.........that would kind of ruin it for me.

......that being said, with all the pressure there, the likelihood of getting checked would be minimal.............however, if you are the chosen one, do you want to risk the consequences of not being in compliance?

What are the consequences? All I've ever heard of is them telling you to leave the area if you don't have proper paperwork.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
If you have a nice boat, there is a risk it will be taken to Ensenada and impounded. When you get it back, it will be stripped. It happens, though rarely.
Is this a fishing story? Starts off as a 40lb YT and as the years go by it is now a 80lb.

Shaken down and threatened...... Years later turns into the story above.

Sdchronix

Alpine Beer Fishing Team
Jul 26, 2018
San diego
Name
Anthony C.
Boat
Hooked Up Boat Club - Parker 2320
Have heard stories of people spending night or 2 in jail. And also one story of boat being impounded and towed back to ensenada. But in the process it took on water and boat sunk. They were in Mexico illegally so no insurance.

Like I said. Story. Dont know how true they are.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac

It can definitely be boiled down to "If you have the paperwork, you don't have to worry about going".

But I was trying to get a sense of how common the LEOs check paperwork so I know if I should start sh_tting myself LOL.

This might sounds like strange behavior but it stems from my being pulled over more than a dozen times (in my car) without getting a ticket or doing anything illegal.

It's called driving while brown (although I guess they're brown down there too, although a different brown) LOL.

Reactions: repo805