He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
Loaded up the bait tank with macs pretty quick this morning and made the Islands at grey light.

Not much happening for the first hour up around the ribbon kelp, so I did a little reconnaissance down around 5 minute kelp /SKR.

Right between the two areas, the fish finder lights up with the right species. It didn't take long to put a couple better grade yellowtail in the kill bag - slow trolling the larger macs.

About 20 minutes later, I get another hook-up on a medium sized yellow and have him at color under the boat.

About the same time, the bluefin decide to pop up about 50' from the boat. I quickly stick the rod in the rod holder and grab my jig stick. The popper lands on the money, and one pump later I'm on.

Cool, I have two going...

But it wasn't meant to be.

As my yellow is swimming around under the boat, a dog decides it's breakfast time. Oh well, I figure I would rather loose the yellowtail than the tuna anyway.

About the time I'm thinking this, another furbag latches onto the tuna I have hooked. A minute later I not only loose the tuna, but the knothead absconds with my new $30 popper - DAMN :mad: !

Stay positive...

It paid off a short time later when I ended up boating about a 20 pound tuna. And shortly thereafter, limited on yellowtail as well.

FYI, before the wind came up, the bluefin were popping up pretty regularly. There's a lot of tuna out there - getting them to bite is a different story though.

Not a bad way to spend a Tuesday...

1.jpg 2.jpg

tunacraze

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
Nice job Ron! Thanks for the timely report. That's a heck of a day if you ask me!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
And here I thought I heard someone accusing you of not fishing..... must have had you mixed up with me :D LOL

The islands seem to be your place to be....... solid work dude!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Hustler

DaBigOno

Aug 23, 2007
Name
Al
Boat
Nora Lee
Yeah, not a bad way to spend a Tuesday or any other day! Good on you!

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
What pound test needed to hook the BFT? And was it a small hook?
Debating on line size: light for 'hooking' vs heavier for hauling in from a [email protected]#[email protected] seal.
I usually fish 20# which has been sufficient for the size yellowtail roaming around the Islands this season.
With the larger macs, a 2/0 or 3/0 light wire J hook seems to work best.
As far as the dogs, keep a junk fish or two in the back of your boat, and if a dog shows up while you're hooked to a fish you don't want to loose, feed them one of the decoys. Works for me...
And most importantly, don't be afraid to lay the wood to the yellows when you're hooked up - better to pull a hook than feed the dogs!

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Way to stay positive and stick with it! Patience is a virtue! Nice job! Thanks for the report! See you on the water!

Caseydmaze

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Un-Named
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Loaded up the bait tank with macs pretty quick this morning and made the Islands at grey light.

Not much happening for the first hour up around the ribbon kelp, so I did a little reconnaissance down around 5 minute kelp /SKR.

Right between the two areas, the fish finder lights up with the right species. It didn't take long to put a couple better grade yellowtail in the kill bag - slow trolling the larger macs.

About 20 minutes later, I get another hook-up on a medium sized yellow and have him at color under the boat.

About the same time, the bluefin decide to pop up about 50' from the boat. I quickly stick the rod in the rod holder and grab my jig stick. The popper lands on the money, and one pump later I'm on.

Cool, I have two going...

But it wasn't meant to be.

As my yellow is swimming around under the boat, a dog decides it's breakfast time. Oh well, I figure I would rather loose the yellowtail than the tuna anyway.

About the time I'm thinking this, another furbag latches onto the tuna I have hooked. A minute later I not only loose the tuna, but the knothead absconds with my new $30 popper - DAMN :mad: !

Stay positive...

It paid off a short time later when I ended up boating about a 20 pound tuna. And shortly thereafter, limited on yellowtail as well.

FYI, before the wind came up, the bluefin were popping up pretty regularly. There's a lot of tuna out there - getting them to bite is a different story though.

Not a bad way to spend a Tuesday...

View attachment 959021 View attachment 959022
Wow!!! Luckiest man on the water! Go buy a lottery ticket. Helluvan outing!!

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
The hot shot watched his mom who is battling stage 4 breast cancer. Thanks for asking
Actually, here's your post before you edited it:

"The hot shot watched his mom who is battling stage 4 breast cancer. Thanks for asking what a fucking kook u are. U slay and still have to talk shit. No skippers huh".

Who was "talking shit" you dope?

Why are you even on this website (especially if your mom is sick)? What are you, 10 years old - you make zero sense?

Get lost, why don't you junior...

Last edited:

simmo13

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 12, 2010
Pacific ocean
Name
Simmo
Boat
Looking
Ok. I’m sorry for saying your a kook. That wasn’t nice. I guess I got Upset that after u had a great day fishing u brought up me? From another thread, where I was trying to defend someone who I thought did nothing wrong.