NextMikeSays

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
I haven't found a lot of reviews online regarding this reel. Looks like a good value especially with Carbon Fiber drag and a new designed baitfeeder that is more similar to Shimano.

Does anyone have any experience with these reels?

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
1 kg = 2.2 pounds so whatever the KG rating, the equivalent in lbs is a little more than double.

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
A reasonable rule of thumb is 2/3 of the factory rating is USABLE, sustained fighting drag. Subjecting a graphite frame to 27+ lbs of drag? YMMV and good luck with that.

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
I guess that would put the drag max usable around 18lbs, so 15lb on graphite.

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
18 lbs of drag from top of spool plus 1 to 2 lbs of drag from the line running through the rod guides under load would get 19-20lbs of total drag. applying the 1/3 rule, this works out to a 60lb setup. IHMO, a full metal reel would be required.

A 40lb or 50lb setup with 13lbs or 16lbs drag respectively seems much more reasonable as long as graphite frame flex is not too severe. My old Okuma Coronado CD90, rated 300/30, would flex too much for comfort as a 40lb setup, so it stayed at 30lb. For the similar reasons, my CD65 is also capped at the factory 20lb rating. The CDX's new stem design (as pictured on okumafishingusa.com) may offer more rigidity to allow it to jump beyond their factory rating but this would only be confirmed by trial and error on the water.

oba

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2015
Name
oba
Boat
none
I think Okuma would have sold a zillion of these things if they had used a more rigid zaion type frame like the Helios, cast aluminium, or a mix of metal and graphite. I think many (myself included) are understandably hesitant to buy a spinner with that much drag and a basic graphite frame. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:

Arturo Flores

Jan 25, 2017
Name
Captain Underpants
Boat
I don't have one
I think Okuma would have sold a zillion of these things if they had used a more rigid zaion type frame like the Helios, cast aluminium, or a mix of metal and graphite. I think many (myself included) is understandably hesitant to buy a spinner with that much drag and a basic graphite frame. That's my 2 cents anyway.
I have the CDX 60 and I must say the body is very rigid, Rotor has no flex its a pretty awsome reel for the money. The only thing i dont like about it is the bait runner click is extremely soft.. I hate this.

Last edited:
Reactions: oba

oba

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2015
Name
oba
Boat
none
I have the CDX 60 and I must say the body is very rigid, Rotor has no flex its a pretty awsome reel for the money. The only thing i dont like about it is the bait runner click is extremely soft.. I hate this.
Thanks Arturo..good to hear

oba

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2015
Name
oba
Boat
none
What level of drag are you running the reel at?

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
I bought one for my daughter last year to go island fishing. We put 200 yard of 50 lb braid and 100 yards of 25 lb mono so she didn’t rip up her fingers. She’s caught bass and yellowtail with it with no problem. She said she’s ready to move up to tuna this year. Nice piece for the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: oba

kimbo

Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Toe-knee
Boat
21' cabo
Got one at the fhs for my daughter, excited to put it to use shortly.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I haven't found a lot of reviews online regarding this reel. Looks like a good value especially with Carbon Fiber drag and a new designed baitfeeder that is more similar to Shimano.

Does anyone have any experience with these reels?
I just bought 2 of those and will post my experience at the conclusion of my next LR trip. Packed them with 220yds of 60lb solid and should be plenty to whip on some YT and tuna.

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
Sep 4, 2014
Name
Paul
Boat
Yeah Baybee!
Bringing this to the top since I'm thinking about getting either the 65 or 80. Anyone put it through the paces yet with some feedback?

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Held the CDX65 in my hands today at Charkbait. The bail, more triangular stem, and gearbox are certainly beefier than the CD65's. The CDX's baitfeeder drag knob is recessed, unlike the old CD65's and CD90's which merely capped the end of the gearbox and can allow water to seep between the gap, down onto the steel retention clip, corroding it, and seizing up the knob (know this from experience).

That said, if either the CDX65 or CDX80 were in my lineup, I'd be willing to fish them with 30lb and 40lb mono top shots max, respectively, based my experience trying to do the same with the CD65 and CD90.

IMHO, for above 40lb line, a larger capacity reel with a metal body would be a more prudent choice...

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Don't drop em in the sand based on my own personal experience. I admit to subjecting the reel to rough treatment and shoddy maintenance.

They are a bit of a PITA to service compared to a non bait feeder. I always disliked working on it because I always thought I would screw it up. You need to check Alan Tani's site for great info.

I am not sure if they are made differently but I had a Coronado CD 30 and after being careless with it too many times it finally bit the dust. There was a plastic bushing that became so worn that it began to bind when reeling. Fish could take drag, just couldn't reliably crank em in.

I liked the feel of the reel and want a size 10 bait feeder Coronado for panfish and small salmonids. I will check the schematics and check back here eventually.

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
Sep 4, 2014
Name
Paul
Boat
Yeah Baybee!
I ended up buying the cdx-65. Didn't take it apart but I like the feel of it (seems pretty stout and smooth) and look forward to trying it out. That is if we ever get some decent weather. Thinking of loading up with either 50 lb Seaguar Kanzen or 65 lb J braid.

Reactions: One_Leg

Caseymcv

Old man
Feb 6, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Casey
Boat
In my dreams
I bought one for my daughter last year to go island fishing. We put 200 yard of 50 lb braid and 100 yards of 25 lb mono so she didn’t rip up her fingers. She’s caught bass and yellowtail with it with no problem. She said she’s ready to move up to tuna this year. Nice piece for the price.
What rod are you using with this reel?