G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    It’s exactly what you did.. No one thinks BASE jumping is safer than driving. He was mocking you and pointing out what an idiot you were being for citing the “flu” stat as evidence that the flu was worse than Covid-19.
    you get that right?
    You’re not wrong to be a skeptic. It takes many viewpoints to come to a best guess and this situation is a mess.
    but you are way past wrong citing the “flu” as evidence that this isn’t gonna be bad.

Perhaps you should think about what an idiot you might have just made yourself.... I did not cite any flu stat.... perhaps you should read.... nice manipulation of a conversation I didn’t have.....

Hmm... who’s the idiot?

I know you love to jump on the G-spot bash at any given opportunity bro, but really? I used real numbers on real things that are effecting people daily.... I did not use random bullshit like BASE jumping...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    We have over 3000 deaths per day due to automobile accidents, maybe we should all stop driving too.... Such a huge risk! And here we are being insensitive animals teaching the next generation to be murderers just like us!!

1500 per day cigarette related deaths, nearly half a million people per her year.... Then there is alcohol.... another 90,000 per year....

If they really factored in the true numbers of people who have had Corona and naturally went through the illness to properly predict the mortality rate it would not make near the headlines....

Italy has had some very bad experience, but their culture, medicine, and size is not comparable to the US......

In the end who knows..... the experts don’t even agree, so we can beat on our keyboards and people will day people like me aren’t taking it serious enough..... likewise, I will think they are acting like chicken little running around like the sky is falling....

Most all medical training and resources are for disasters and trauma.... When they have people laying all around with various injuries to triage and treat. It is difficult to train or prepare for a virus or disease, because the symptoms are so different.... what if the next one doesn’t need ventilators?
    you are right. You didn’t reference the flu. It was in the quote you were replying to. You Just used other examples to show that you minimize the risk/issue of covid.
    So perhaps based on the fact that none of us are epidemiologists we should defer to the folks at the WHO and the cdc who are and are saying that if we don’t do social distancing and make drastic efforts to stop this global pandemic then we will overrun our supply of ventilators and have a legit catastrophe. Or the statistical models that say best case scenario 500k Americans dead this year without full lockdown.
    I get that this is going to cripple our economy but I also think we can generally trust the experts that say we need to do these things before it’s too late.
    Maybe I’m not a skeptic enough. But for this I’m going to defer to the real experts.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    you are right. You didn’t reference the flu. It was in the quote you were replying to. You Just used other examples to show that you minimize the risk/issue of covid.
    So perhaps based on the fact that none of us are epidemiologists we should defer to the folks at the WHO and the cdc who are and are saying that if we don’t do social distancing and make drastic efforts to stop this global pandemic then we will overrun our supply of ventilators and have a legit catastrophe. Or the statistical models that say best case scenario 500k Americans dead this year without full lockdown.
    I get that this is going to cripple our economy but I also think we can generally trust the experts that say we need to do these things before it’s too late.
    Maybe I’m not a skeptic enough. But for this I’m going to defer to the real experts.

As I said and will repeat, because you love to bash on me and only read portions so you can pick at me like kid.... I did not want to minimize the dangers, I just wanted to not be an over inflammatory person like so many are!

please read the stats with an open mind not picking or jumping on the band wagon... China has a population of 1.4 billion people and had a total death toll of 3200 people..... The Us has a population of 330 million people.... When someone states social distancing will save millions of lives in the US, I happen to think that is inflammatory.... Maybe not, but sure seems pretty far fetched that a country 3+ times the size of the US had 3200 deaths and we’re going to have millions....

The statistics about autos was to show a correlation of risk... we actually loose over 3200 per day globally in auto accidents.... simple factual statistics...

We will never know what would have happened... We will wait and see what does happen medically and financially...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    As I said and will repeat, because you love to bash on me and only read portions so you can pick at me like kid.... I did not want to minimize the dangers, I just wanted to not be an over inflammatory person like so many are!

please read the stats with an open mind not picking or jumping on the band wagon... China has a population of 1.4 billion people and had a total death toll of 3200 people..... The Us has a population of 330 million people.... When someone states social distancing will save millions of lives in the US, I happen to think that is inflammatory.... Maybe not, but sure seems pretty far fetched that a country 3+ times the size of the US had 3200 deaths and we’re going to have millions....

The statistics about autos was to show a correlation of risk... we actually loose over 3200 per day in auto accidents.... simple factual statistics...

We will never know what would have happened... We will wait and see what does happen medically and financially...

I think you ought to check your stats. We lose 102 people daily to auto accidents, not 3200.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I think you ought to check your stats. We lose 102 people daily to auto accidents, not 3200.

Totally fucked that one up... looks like in 2018 is was 40,000 annually.... 109 per day..

2AFCA694-A03B-4036-96C0-9F1F061F327A.png

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Sorry I had stated global auto deaths not US...
    A15F3A4A-6BC0-4D93-8595-F424C51532B7.png

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn on way to Florida
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Guy stop acting like the Bloody Cunts that I had to just go away rather then read the cat fights.

Just agree that this has affec5most people in the civilizatilived world. And it's not anywhere near over. The $$$$ hit has not even touched you. But it will. And all the cautions in place are so we dont end up like Italy.
    Watch a couple hospital interviews from Italy and you might just hold yuh ou breath for a while.

In a high note , I won the lottery today finally. We always have a Costco 30 pack , but someone didn't restock before leaving for a few months. Wife was going to kill me.

Attachments

• 20200321_100438.jpg
      20200321_100438.jpg
      769.3 KB · Views: 33
    Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Divide and concur right...

The world is watching..

Knock down the twin towers, kill thousands, unit the country like we haven't seen in recent times...

Send over a bug, no one knows what to do, even the expert's, cause chaos, social disorder, financial uncertainty, and fist fights for TP....

Social experiment bio warfare, checkmate....

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    John, I was actually replying to koopla not you. I hope that this all is a huge overreaction and I hold out hope that the mortality figures of 1% are way high. I know it’s going to mess up a lot of people’s lives including mine (aerospace is not looking strong in the future).

It’s a good time to be working together on this issue, but no harm in a debate. Just don’t go out to crowded clubs on spring break! ;)

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    The problem with the “X kills this many more people a year than Covid-19” line of thinking is that all of a sudden all those other deaths, illnesses and injuries just stop all of a sudden and the ERs and hospitals are free to tackle this new issue all by itsef That’s not the case. People are still being hospitalized for all those things like the flu, car accidents, drug ODs *AND* now a ton more people from this new disease.

That’s the problem.

If it was one more person with some strange new disease it’s handled no problem. When it’s tens of new cases, can be handled with a little more stress on the system but likely doable. When it’s hundreds maybe we can handle it still. When it’s thousands suddenly you might start running out of masks and other supplies which are ironically shipped in from China. When it’s tens of thousands and possibly hundreds of thousands or millions...
    There is no doubt our system can handle this up to a certain point. When that point is crossed we end up like Italy.
    So yes, it’s “just like the flu” is sort of true, except it’s just like the flu but also on top of the flu, which is also on top of all kinds of other crap that ERs and Hospitals all see. And it’s possibly (hopefully not) going to happen in one big tsunami rather than a slowly rising tide. We can handle a high tide. Italy got a tsunami.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Divide and concur right...

The world is watching..

Knock down the twin towers, kill thousands, unit the country like we haven't seen in recent times...

Send over a bug, no one knows what to do, even the expert's, cause chaos, social disorder, financial uncertainty, and fist fights for TP....

Social experiment bio warfare, checkmate....

Definite possibilities there!

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    G-Spot...When's your trip to Hawaii?
    Are you still going?

March 31-April 8th.... Unless the flight gets cancelled I will be sitting on a white sandy beach at Bellows Military Recreation, staying in a nice little cottage 200’ away from said beach and eating fresh Barbecue from my shopping at Kaneohe Marine Corp Base...

So.... yes... I’m going...

I’ll be socially distancing myself from there.... 😀 Don’t need restaurants or tourist activities, and I won’t go visit and nursing homes while there.

Last edited:
    Reactions: la vida
    Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Post number 89= ding ding ding! This is a man with common sense and understanding of things
    Post number 90= 🤢you are the reason this shit will continue to be around

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Got the below from my neighbor in Tacoma, we're isolating at Westport. Will go back to Tacoma Monday to grab mail, pay bills et cetera and then back to the isolation of Westport. We're taking it serious as my wife is fairly compromised...age (soon to be 67), neuroendocrine cancer that caused a couple of surgeries (Whipple...which removed the head of the pancreas-part of her intestine and part of her stomach, then a year later they carved a chunk out of her liver) and on top of that Sarcoidosis that affects her lungs. Take it serious I'd say....
    Anyway here's the article....

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e. genetics.
    Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year...you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.
    Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity..the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and thehuman immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.
    Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be.. H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
    Fast forward.
    Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability,“slippery”
    This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it. And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs.. That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
    We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu. Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder...but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.
    Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now. #flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just "are not catching on."

Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    March 31-April 8th.... Unless the flight gets cancelled I will be sitting on a white sandy beach at Bellows Military Recreation, staying in a nice little cottage 200’ away from said beach and eating fresh Barbecue from my shopping at Kaneohe Marine Corp Base...

So.... yes... I’m going...

I’ll be socially distancing myself from there.... 😀 Don’t need restaurants or tourist activities, and I won’t go visit and nursing homes while there.

We just cancelled our spring break trip to Hawaii. Their Governor just asked tourists to stay away and they are talking about enforcing a 14 day quarantine on all new arrivals. I also would rather practice social distancing somewhere tropical but not willing to risk being quarantined away from home.

The notion of social distancing is a bit of a joke at the moment. They had us line up 6 feet apart to get into Costco today but once in everyone jammed on top of each other in the normal places.

Reactions: Salmon King
    Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
    Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Whichever I am invited onto
    I’m going to go around and lick everyone that doesn’t take this shit seriously.

Sincerely,
    The husband of a nurse who is fighting this shit from all angles.

PS: any of you fiberglass guys have any masks to donate to the nurses at Valley? I’ll pick them up…

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    We just cancelled our spring break trip to Hawaii. Their Governor just asked tourists to stay away and they are talking about enforcing a 14 day quarantine on all new arrivals. I also would rather practice social distancing somewhere tropical but not willing to risk being quarantined away from home.

The notion of social distancing is a bit of a joke at the moment. They had us line up 6 feet apart to get into Costco today but once in everyone jammed on top of each other in the normal places.

this fits perfectly with my vacation... I will arrive and quarantine on the beach.... they won’t stop me from leaving...

Staying in a hotel and eating at restaurants would not be fun under these circumstances anyhow... many tourist business will be closed...

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I thought the science said we all are going to be dead in 10 years due to climate change anyhow so what is the point of all this. To delay the inevitable?

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    It's funny how you see different personalities battle this pandemic. The insecure, but outspoken, think they can pound on the keyboard and make this go away. They throw out unrelated statistics, that mean nothing.

THE ONLY thing we have to go on, are the experts. They say it's going to be bad. There is NO expert out there, that is saying this will pass with minimal damage. Some predict 2 million deaths, some more, some less, but who knows???

Don't be THAT person that kills someone else because their mind can't rap their head around the significance of this PANDEMIC. Experts do NOT use that word lightly

I have had it going on ten days now. I was very healthy and very viligant. I'm (hopefully) on the down-hill run, and I'm sure I'll be fine in another week or so. Just don't be a moron and not listen to the advice, no unnecessary travel, stay at home, wash you hands, etc. We'll beat this, but we need common sense at this time, not a bunch of blowhards....

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    yes, we will beat this.....BUT...we still have that damn climate change waiting just around the corner

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
    Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    It's funny how you see different personalities battle this pandemic. The insecure, but outspoken, think they can pound on the keyboard and make this go away. They throw out unrelated statistics, that mean nothing.

THE ONLY thing we have to go on, are the experts. They say it's going to be bad. There is NO expert out there, that is saying this will pass with minimal damage. Some predict 2 million deaths, some more, some less, but who knows???

Don't be THAT person that kills someone else because their mind can't rap their head around the significance of this PANDEMIC. Experts do NOT use that word lightly

I have had it going on ten days now. I was very healthy and very viligant. I'm (hopefully) on the down-hill run, and I'm sure I'll be fine in another week or so. Just don't be a moron and not listen to the advice, no unnecessary travel, stay at home, wash you hands, etc. We'll beat this, but we need common sense at this time, not a bunch of blowhards....

Take care of yourself and Get well dude!

Upvote 0