Islands Coro Islands Bonito, Bass and a triggerfish?

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
Hit the islands today, 9/23. Left shelter 745 and got a half scoop and went south. Better than expected conditions on the ride down. Threw out a magic zucchini and a mex flag feather and trolled through the middle grounds down on the Lee side of South Island and picked up a 14 inch bass. Tossed him back. Kept pushing south and had a double hookup of similar sized bass off the south kelp area. All on the feathers.

Threw the feathers back out and quickly hit a 8 or 9lb Bonito. Pulled in the feathers and motored down to the rock pile for some bottom fishing. Was too windy to keep on a spot so we decided to head back to the middle grounds. Picked up another good sized Bonito on the way back.

Ended up anchoring in a protected area near the middle grounds and started to chum live and chunk bait. Pulled off a few more bass. Decided to keep one of the larger ones and one whitefish.

Then, down in 60 feet of water, my buddy dropped a 6oz dropper with a sardine and got a weird hit. Brought it up and it was a triggerfish. Couldn't believe it. Anyone caught one of these around here before?

20210923_140649.jpg

20210923_101634.jpg

20210923_140604.jpg

Last edited:

splashy77

Almost A Member
Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Triggers are insanely fun on bass tackle. They love a good "chum" session to get em going. I've been fishing for over 40 years and only caught them in the last 5 or 6 regularly at Catalina in certain areas. Sometimes it surprises me to catch them in certain areas. Regardless, a good sharp knife and a safety glove in your non-knife hand is required as their skin is some of the toughest I've ever seen.
Screenshot_20210923-193841_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210923-193959_Photos.jpg

Absolutely one of the best Ceviche fish I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying, hands down. Tasty seared as well but oh baby, it almost tastes like "Ebi" very shrimp flavored once citrus cured.
Screenshot_20210923-193712_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210923-194218_Photos.jpg

Daniel

Upvote 0

skelly1

• Jun 29, 2006
    Ramona
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    20' skipjack flybridge
    got one of them trigger fish when I was a kid off north island.

Upvote 0

guss

Jul 8, 2014
    Culver City
    Name
    Gus
    Boat
    None
    Hit the islands today, 9/23. Left shelter 745 and got a half scoop and went south. Better than expected conditions on the ride down. Threw out a magic zucchini and a mex flag feather and trolled through the middle grounds down on the Lee side of South Island and picked up a 14 inch bass. Tossed him back. Kept pushing south and had a double hookup of similar sized bass off the south kelp area. All on the feathers.

Threw the feathers back out and quickly hit a 8 or 9lb Bonito. Pulled in the feathers and motored down to the rock pile for some bottom fishing. Was too windy to keep on a spot so we decided to head back to the middle grounds. Picked up another good sized Bonito on the way back.

Ended up anchoring in a protected area near the middle grounds and started to chum live and chunk bait. Pulled off a few more bass. Decided to keep one of the larger ones and one whitefish.

Then, down in 60 feet of water, my buddy dropped a 6oz dropper with a sardine and got a weird hit. Brought it up and it was a triggerfish. Couldn't believe it. Anyone caught one of these around here before?

View attachment 1321190

View attachment 1321192

View attachment 1321199
    Those triggerfish do hit funny don't they. Surprised he bit a sardine with such tiny mouths. We have triggerfish up here in Santa Monica Bay in the winter.

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 24, 2004
    Texas
    Name
    David
    Boat
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Season is closed on them in the Gulf. I guess they all went to CA.

Upvote 0
    Jul 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sailfish 22'

View attachment 1321190

View attachment 1321192

View attachment 1321199
    We get a few in Santa Monica Bay but my buddy got a 7+ pounder by Rocky Point two months ago.. Hit a live sardine while halibut fishing.

Reactions: tuff guy
    Upvote 0

Xylophone

Jun 30, 2018
    Descanso
    Name
    brett heckeroth
    Boat
    Outrage 20
    I've shot them at la jolla by the children's pool and off of flat rock at torrey pines. The fillets are the perfect shape so I panko or batter them and make fish sandwiches out of them.

Upvote 0

copper7

Waterman
    Apr 28, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Paddle board
    Awesome eating but hell on your knife! It’s funny how locally they’re prized but in the sea of Cortez they’re a major nuisance! 😆

Reactions: Terre D
    Upvote 0