jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I too "jerdog" spent a few summers doing drywall.....mud..... acoustic ceiling "popcorn". Worked the truck..... throwing a pallet of "texture" into the hopper... A day. Brutal work.

By the next summer... I was doing finishing work...."knock down" and they actually let me start using the gun. People have no idea what it takes.

Sad to say that was the 70's. .. When we still used those materials now called cancerous. Just like our daddies did. My current health reflects those early exposures. Like pouring your own sinkers..... As a kid. Stupid now.... "frugal" back then.
I use a better mask to pour sinkers now,
Then I did sanding drywall mud,
And removing acoustic, LoL

Reactions: woodfish330

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
I too "jerdog" spent a few summers doing drywall.....mud..... acoustic ceiling "popcorn". Worked the truck..... throwing a pallet of "texture" into the hopper... A day. Brutal work.

By the next summer... I was doing finishing work...."knock down" and they actually let me start using the gun. People have no idea what it takes.

Sad to say that was the 70's. .. When we still used those materials now called cancerous. Just like our daddies did. My current health reflects those early exposures. Like pouring your own sinkers..... As a kid. Stupid now.... "frugal" back then.
I'm sorry to hear that you have Mesothelioma. After over 50 years of full time hands-on involvement in every facet of construction, you are the first person who I have actually "spoken to" who has gotten this from construction.

fujirose

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
I don't understand the OP's argument. The title states "copyright infring" (misspelled).

I guess you are comparing bend of a 270H8. But the materials making the two rods are different. BlackSteel is a composite glas/graphite rod. The classic Calstar is a fiberglas rod, no carbon or graphite. One would expect that a 270H8 would have a similar flex, but weight and feel would be different between the two.

I don't want to get into the argument of BlackSteel 270H8 and the Calstar graphiter comparable rod (since they don't make a labeled 270H8).

SalmonidDave

9' or higher only.15' two handed is way fun!
May 12, 2019
SFV
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
if you don’t want to get involved in it. Then don’t. The thread is pretty much dead except for a side convo about asbestos.

Re: Calstar. There is no 270H-8 in GFGR, but in WCDH there is a 270H-8. The WCDH series iirc is their glass line.

Reactions: jer dog

SalmonidDave

May 12, 2019
SFV
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
I don't understand the OP's argument. The title states "copyright infring" (misspelled).

I guess you are comparing bend of a 270H8. But the materials making the two rods are different. BlackSteel is a composite glas/graphite rod. The classic Calstar is a fiberglas rod, no carbon or graphite. One would expect that a 270H8 would have a similar flex, but weight and feel would be different between the two.

I don't want to get into the argument of BlackSteel 270H8 and the Calstar graphiter comparable rod (since they don't make a labeled 270H8).

Here’s a link

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
It’s not infringement, both companies are descendants of Sabre. The idea that they would make radically different stuff is kinda weird.

Reactions: terryc.

SalmonidDave

May 12, 2019
SFV
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
That's why I prefer the Calstar...

Its also a lot heavier and WCDh 15-40 and the G-270H-8 is 20-30.
The calstar is all glass, the seeker is composite.

WCDH-270-8H It is surprisingly soft. You cant distinguish between the tip and the rest of the rod. The feel, the power curve of the rod is an even progression of power through the entire rod.

For comparsion, in GFGR's you can feel three sections of the rod. You feel the stiff tip. A sofy and a very, very short mushy mid section and then full power of the backbone in a small space.

The G-270H-8 It has nearly the same power curve as the WCDH except it's after a stiff tip.

This is of course what I feel when flexing the rod against my Asbestos causing ceiling. It's not popcorn btw, it's textured. Like popcorn but def not asbestos filled because I laid it on the ceiling in the early 2000's.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthBayKiller