Cook Islands Fishing

georgebb5

May 10, 2010
Roseville, CA. USA
Name
George Carmichael
Hey guys,
My fiancé and I are going to the Cook Islands for our honeymoon in October 2014 and wanted to get some suggestions on any charters. We're going to be on Rarotonga for a full week. Also what kind of fishing should I expect, offshore or flats? Also what species are around? We're really looking forward to the trip, thank you for your suggestions!

George

Upvote 0

6xJr

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2005
Encinitas
Name
Nate
Boat Name
25WA Hydra-sports
Hey George, I'm going to be there in October for my honeymoon as well. Definitely want to do some fishing, maybe we could share a boat or the like. Supposed to be some pretty good fishing there.

Upvote 0

georgebb5

May 10, 2010
Roseville, CA. USA
Name
George Carmichael
Hey George, I'm going to be there in October for my honeymoon as well. Definitely want to do some fishing, maybe we could share a boat or the like. Supposed to be some pretty good fishing there.
That would be awesome and we would definitely be interested in sharing the cost. I guess the only question would be, what dates are you gonna be there?

Upvote 0

Meanwhile

Dec 13, 2005
Warren, Oregon
Name
Randy Kane
Boat Name
2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
I was there several years ago. I walked out to an opening in the reef where water was pouring out. You do not want to take a misstep, it was like a Spring run off creek. Anyway I was playing with a 12 weight fly rod and a streamer. Something (means I never saw it) took the fly with a savage hit. Obviously my mono leader was not up to whatever lives there. I'd think about using some wire if I ever get back. I walked out near the Hilton cement ruins, assuming they never finished it.

Upvote 0

georgebb5

May 10, 2010
Roseville, CA. USA
Name
George Carmichael
I was there several years ago. I walked out to an opening in the reef where water was pouring out. You do not want to take a misstep, it was like a Spring run off creek. Anyway I was playing with a 12 weight fly rod and a streamer. Something (means I never saw it) took the fly with a savage hit. Obviously my mono leader was not up to whatever lives there. I'd think about using some wire if I ever get back. I walked out near the Hilton cement ruins, assuming they never finished it.
That sounds like a pretty cool spot to fish, where on the island is it located?

Upvote 0

6xJr

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2005
Encinitas
Name
Nate
Boat Name
25WA Hydra-sports
That would be awesome and we would definitely be interested in sharing the cost. I guess the only question would be, what dates are you gonna be there?

Hi George, we haven't booked the exact dates, but we're getting married Oct. 18, so it will be the latter half of October, we're probably going to go for ten days. PM me if you're going to be there then and we can figure it out.

Upvote 0

Meanwhile

Dec 13, 2005
Warren, Oregon
Name
Randy Kane
Boat Name
2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
I'll try to find a photo. Also there was a charter that had a half owner that lived 6 no in Oregon. I'll try to find a photo of that boat. I had reservations but the wind howled for five days.

Take the flight to Aitutaki, great lagoon, and I think a bonefish guide still works there. Google that up.

Upvote 0

pescadorzih

Almost A Member
  • Aug 1, 2012
    PA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat Name
    None
    Bassjedi
    Where did you stay on Aitutaki?
    We are spending a week on Rarotonga and a week on Aitutaki.
    I have a half day with Mike also on the Black Pearl. We will be just going out for tunas and mahi, as the wife is going with and wouldn't be able to handle a GT.
    Fishing for GT's is like casting for Roosters.
    Were you there the end of May or early June?

Upvote 0

Patriot Jones

Nov 18, 2015
    Washington
    Name
    USS Jones
    Boat Name
    Crestliner
    I’m going to Cook Islands last week in January. Have spoke with a couple of boat owners and will be popping for GTs and hitting up the FADs speed jigging for peligics.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
    BD Writer
    Jun 1, 2006
    Valley Center, CA
    www.rovingangler.com
    Name
    Tony Pena
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Greg, although you may hook some big fish around the reef most of them will average less than 15 lbs. so your wife could surely handle those. She would love the colorful variety as well. You can catch tuna and mahi in Baja so it would be a shame to pass up the tropical inshore species and the beauty of the coral.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl
    Upvote 0