kallitype

big liar
Jun 29, 2010
Vashon WA
Name
TER ROTH
Boat
LIvingston 14, Hobie Adventure kayak
The Breakaway flasher is a really effective solution to the leverage the conventional flasher gives the fish to throw the hook. The flasher is released when a decent size fish hits, the flasher pulls away from the lure and floats up the line---it is still captive to the line, but does not offer the fish anything to use as leverage. You are connected to the fish directly, the flasher does not interfere with the fight. No need to put your regular flashers into storage and spend 12 to 15 bucks on new ones--you can convert your old flashers for 32 cents! You will need the Q-cove pin rigging, but you don't need one for each flasher, you can switch the rigging to a diiferent flasher blade. I bought 3 of the rigs, so if I lose a flasher to a seal, I'm not out of business.

Here's the pin assembly---they are about $3 from Sportco and Outdoor Emporium or by mailorder from Q-Cove

You need some spacers, here are the spacers--use the 1/4 inch one, 32 cents at True Value hardware.

-- You need to snip the welded ring and remove it and the swivel from the bottom of your old flasher:

----Then put the flasher in a vise and cut down alongside the rivet on each side----be care that you do not make to wide a slot! You can sand the spacer to fit the slot, a tight fit is good.

break off the tab, and clean up the slot with some sandpaper

---Now sand the spacer so that there are 2 flats on opposite sides so there will be good contact for gluing the spacer into the slot

---glue the spacer into the slot with a good superglue, I use one called Plastic Weld, it has held the spacer in for hours of trolling at 120feet.

I had about 15 old and favorite flashers, now all my flashers are converted to breakaway. As new and more effective colors come out in conventional flashers, I'll be able to covert them for pennies. And if the new color is only in the Q-Cove line, like the Purple Dragon--- no problem!! Hope this illustrated DIY guide is helpful for you.

Dipnet

Gainfully retired
Sep 18, 2012
Silverdale/WA/USA
Name
Tim
Boat
17' Triumph
Good info, Terry. Thanks!

Jermz

Slay'in and fillet'in
Jan 5, 2010
Evrott
Name
Jeremy
Boat
Your Mom
Seen that on captiandownriggins forum.

I only have one inline left, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to mess with it.(has good mojo) I have 30 plus Qcoves, and there still the best out there. Customer service is top notch.

Personally i would only do it with special flashers that Qcove doesn't produce(Ken can remake dam near any flasher if you go visit him) or ones that you've had lots of luck with,

Other wise why wouldn't you buy a Great American made product.

10Super

Die-Hard
Sep 7, 2012
Lake Stevens
Name
Dave
Boat
Lund Renegade
I am sold on the Qcoves and all new flashers will be breakaways. I have a lot of other flashers I don't want to sit unused. Thanks for the pics.

Fish_kid

The Right Angler
Aug 23, 2010
Kirkland/WA
Name
Tom
Boat
Parker 2120 "F-14"
I am sold on the Qcoves and all new flashers will be breakaways. I have a lot of other flashers I don't want to sit unused. Thanks for the pics.
You can always make a disco ball out of them... or use them in your Christmas light displays... or maybe mount them on the ceiling above your bed... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Me I'll stick with the originals and support a local small business... though I do respect tinkering with gear to make it more effective... good ole American can do attitude...

jet2go

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 28, 2009
Issaquah, WA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
26' Silver Streak, Twin 200 Suzukis, 9.9 yami, "Outta Line"
Very cool! Thanks, now I can continue using all my "good luck" flashers!

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
No DIY in the reports section...Thanks.

T

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
BTW - Nice work with the self modification, but that would mean that I would have to take down all my Hot Spot and Pro Troll flashers that I'm using as a gutter drain. :D

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
Thanks for the info. I have a special flasher that I use on Vancouver island that I will be converting to break-away. Of course I would buy one if it was an option.

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
Thanks for the info. I have a special flasher that I use on Vancouver island that I will be converting to break-away. Of course I would buy one if it was an option.
Contact Ken Pinnell (Maker of the Break-Away Flashers) and see what he can do. Super nice guy. Good Luck!

http://www.qcove.com/

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Come on guys. Ken has kids he needs to feed and if we all started modifying our old tackle how us he going to survive.

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
I used my old flashers as bird "scare tape" when I seeded my lawn. My neighbors must've thought I was crazy. :rofl:

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Neat Idea. BUUUUUUT you also need to get new Color strips too for that old ass Flasher.
This is a throw away ere. Buy New and sell your old ones.

Side note did you catch any fish yet?

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
4 and counting!
According to Fishin' Luhrs there is another way to get rid of your old flashers! :finger:

Ducker!

kallitype

big liar
Jun 29, 2010
Vashon WA
Name
TER ROTH
Boat
LIvingston 14, Hobie Adventure kayak
John---I did catch one on a converted flasher, gotta post a pic:--the hooknose coho was caught early this month, with that ratty-looking plaid UV OKI flasher and white Coho Killer.

10Super

Die-Hard
Sep 7, 2012
Lake Stevens
Name
Dave
Boat
Lund Renegade
You can always make a disco ball out of them... or use them in your Christmas light displays... or maybe mount them on the ceiling above your bed... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Me I'll stick with the originals and support a local small business... though I do respect tinkering with gear to make it more effective... good ole American can do attitude...
I've been giving plenty of word-of-mouth advertising as well. Not trying to take anything away from anyone.

fishermatt

Oct 1, 2010
Bothell/WA/USA
Name
Matt Nugent
Thanks for the info MacGyver.
I'll continue to upgrade with Ken. Boat and sportsman shows are coming...:finger:

Fishinnut

Apr 18, 2008
Monroe, WA USA
Name
Ron Garner
Boat
32 Proline Express
The easiest way I have learned to convert these is to go to Q cove and give them mine and buy new ones from Ken. Ken was there for us working hard on behalf of the WDFW Rockfish group helping stop Marine fishing closures. Ken gets my business as its a small price to pay for someone that put in time to keep us fishing. Support those who support us.

Reactions: Nosecrets

Hoghunter

Dec 2, 2006
Woodinville, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
nonya
The easiest way I have learned to convert these is to go to Q cove and give them mine and buy new ones from Ken. Ken was there for us working hard on behalf of the WDFW Rockfish group helping stop Marine fishing closures. Ken gets my business as its a small price to pay for someone that put in time to keep us fishing. Support those who support us.
Ditto on Ken. He get's my business.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Coudn't agree more!!!
Besides - Ken needs the money to buy more bread and ham for his sandwiches.:rofl:

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
I love how people try to make a product by copying someone else. The funny thing here is that you still used the pin Assembly from Qcove. Might as well buy new ones from Ken.

Good idea but to make a product that is identical (in most ways) and o give it a name of your own....not what I would call a new product.